why did I gain so much so fast

Options
2»

Replies

• cpdiminish
    Options
    Rather than just treat the vitamin deficiencies, is anyone asking why you have the vitamin deficiencies in the first place?

The ones you listed, iron, Bs, and D are common for those who are suffering from malabsorption or malnutrition issues.

And though it may seem counterintuitive, there are some medical problems that could have you gaining weight and have malabsorption at the same time, such as gluten intolerance/celiac - problems that cause damage to the digestive tract.

Unfortunately, because doctors aren't trained to look at nutrition as either the source of problems or the possible solution to them, they won't even know to look at food intolerances as a possible problem, and there are tons of them out there in addition to gluten.

If blood tests showed hormone levels to be in a normal range, indicating that the thyroid isn't the problem, do some more research into what normal ranges are. Some doctors accept a much broader range despite more-recent research saying otherwise. And don't let your doctor just tell you everything is fine. Get your test results so that you can do your own research.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I have come off the anti depressants, (6 months ago) so hopefully they will be fully out of my system in the next few months.

My aunt suffered with fybroids, she had a hysterectomy they were so bad.

the only meds I actually take are my antihistamine as I react to my sweat when working out, and pain meds, also when I get given vitamins via the doc I take those... my pain meds are in transition at the moment, from cocodamol to tramadol as my MRI diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis and not osteoarthritis, but doctors are still not referring me to rheumatologists...

my thyroid was 1.19 last time it was checked... maybe it is menopausal as my mother started in her early 40's and took hrt so it lasted 20 years....

am going to save up and go see a private doctor and see what they say, so sick of fighting the NHS to get treatment or diagnosed. I have stopped eating bread and feel a little better, my daughter had wheat allergies before she died and my father has milk intolerances, so maybe I am intolerant to stuff, will have to go get it checked myself...

I am eating healthy foods so do noy understand why I am having trouble with nutrients...

But again thanks for the tips and ideas to get checked..

BTW, I was weighed daily on my scale first thing in morning after abulations in same place, them weekly on the same scale at gp...all I was told was oh well that can't be right it will settle down, 2 years later still the same weight and struggling to shift it...

I weigh all my food on an electronic food scale so I know I am doing that right, I am not eating back all exercise calories... just a little p***** off that to lose weight I have to virtually starve myself...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    barring the 2nd opinion on other issues why are you off your meds?

I have family that suffer from "mental illness" and they don't get to go off meds...

As for the 12lbs in 3 weeks highly doubtful this is either scale error, or water.

As well since your diary is closed it's hard to really comment on intake...you say you weigh and log accurately but there are often times entries chosen are not correct.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's possible to put on weight extremely fast with meds. I put on 3 stone in 2 months from taking mirtazapine and depakote (plus 3 more meds but think those were the main culprits). It's happened 3 times now.

And no it doesn't seem to magically come off again when you stop either! I guess they affect your body in some way and it takes time to normalise again.

Vit D deficiency is common in winter, the sun is too weak for you to make any. Other vitamin deficiencies could be caused by diet or malabsorption but it's hard to know without seeing your diary. Some meds can also increase your needs for certain vitamins.

I would say work out your tdee and eat at a small deficit from that, you will have to give it some time for your body to adjust but keep at it. You're not doing yourself any favours eating at 1000 cals, that alone will give you nutritional deficiencies and affect your mood. I'm in a similar situation to you and have lost 1 stone in 4 months doing this. Slow, but it is progress. If you can, exercise, it will help in so many ways. Good luck!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I have family that suffer from "mental illness" and they don't get to go off meds...

As for the 12lbs in 3 weeks highly doubtful this is either scale error, or water.

As well since your diary is closed it's hard to really comment on intake...you say you weigh and log accurately but there are often times entries chosen are not correct.

Not everyone with a mental illness is the same!!!!

And it's pretty common to change meds as they stop working or have intolerable side effects or you are no longer in crisis. I don't know anyone who's been on the same dose and combination of meds forever.

ETA: and yes massive fast weight gain on meds is totally possible.

And meds are not the only solution to mental illness. .. and not all mental illness is medicable... and people can choose what meds they take unless they are on a CTO or under section. It is nowhere near as black and white as you want to think and it's really none of your business why she had stopped this particular drug.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

And it's pretty common to change meds as they stop working or have intolerable side effects or you are no longer in crisis. I don't know anyone who's been on the same dose and combination of meds forever.

Also, it's perfectly possible to be successfully treated for depression and no longer need antidepressants.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

And meds are not the only solution to mental illness. .. and not all mental illness is medicable... and people can choose what meds they take unless they are on a CTO or under section. It is nowhere near as black and white as you want to think and it's really none of your business why she had stopped this particular drug.

and what does this have to do with the OPs question???

Going off meds perscribed is a viable question as far as the weight loss goes as it has (based on what the OP said in her profile) caused weight gain...esp if another was perscribed ...

If you want to chastize me for a question I asked about meds based on what she wrote on her profile which is public try a private message instead of hijacking a thread for your own rant.
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I came off the meds with the GP's blessing, he said it was ok as long as I worked out as in his opinion exercise is more efficient than meds for lifting mood, we also worked out the foods to eat to help heal my body, as my metabolism has obviously been damaged from eating below 1000 cals for most of my adult life.

I have borderline personality disorder, A lifelong condition, the meds no matter which I take, I always seem to gain weight....

I f my mood stabilises then I am stable and happy, that is all that matters, I found exercise is the best for this...

I live in a weird type of world compared to others, I can only do one day at a time as my mental health issues can fluctuate, I have coping mechanisms in place that enable me to function well and work for me without harming others...

this is why I stay away from the posters who criticize as that sends me over the edge and my mood goes out of control along with the eating..

I am finding Pilates helps and meditation is helping. I am relieved to hear that massive weight gain has happened to others with meds, seems each time I gained 21LBs I was on meds again, unfortunately if I take meds I have to eat below 1000 cals a day to maintain my weight.... Lets see if the pattern continues and I start to lose after Aug when I will have been off the meds for about 9 months....to gain 7lbs a week is soul destroying while on meds and makes things worse as it creates more health problems...

Thank you for the input, I have been on tricycles, ssris, and old generation anti depressants, and each one does the same thing, apparantly for some of us, when the meds control and stabilise the mood they also bring down the metabolism, this is what I was told by Psych doc anyway...