Hamstring

Options
Doing regular 5 to 10k runs at the moment and have a very tight and sore hamstring - possibly pulled. How do I "fix" it? I have an official 10k race in 2 weeks time.

Thank you

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you can still run on it, I doubt it's pulled. Rest, ice, compression, elevation .... stay hydrated .... and hope it heals enough for you to run your race.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you just tweaked it with a day or two, I would be icing it down the first 48 hours.

After a 2-5 days depending on the strain, I would do light running on it as long as it isn't more painful with immediate stretching afterwards. If you are in a cold climate, make sure you warm it up a bit before hand. If you can't run just yet, cycling is a good way to increase the blood flow to the area.

Foam roll it out as much as possible when the muscle is warm. This will do wonders for speeding up recovery.

These things alone have helped me heal it quicker as they both help with blood flow to the area. I've tweaked a hammy hard six days before a race and still broke a PR for the race.
  • mamajess242
    mamajess242 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.