Recipe Weights Per Serving

Options
When I create a recipe I take the total weight and divide it up by the number of servings and include that weight (e.g 150g/serving) in the title of the recipe.

Is there an easier way to remember/or note the per serving quantity than what I am doing. For example, my recipe names (for recipes that are for more than 1 serving might be: "Baked Potato Soup (150g/serving)."

Ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great idea.

What I've done for some recipes is to make each serving 100 grams. So like for my cheese danish, if it makes 540 grams total I'd put it in as 5.4 servings.
  • Onedayslimmfp
    Onedayslimmfp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tweak the recipe each time I recreate it as the quantities are rarely the same.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I usually use a combination of things depending on the food..

For things like soups/casseroles and other things that can be frozen I normally make up several portions of 300 g (I find that's usually a good size for a lunch) For other things I will not split it at all. I'll have 1 'portion' which I just leave as the total weight then it does not matter if the quantities are a teeny bit off the next time I make it because i can just keep using the one recipe and base my portions on how much I take divided by the total weight.

The second one works best for me because then my family does not have to worry about how much they take because they won't 'mess up' my perfectly portioned food. Most of the time I will tweak it also however sometimes I am not the one cooking it and I will have just come home to a fully cooked dinner that wasn't weighed at all. Having a 'base' to go by is very useful in those cases.
  • SecondLastchance
    Options
    I tweak the recipe each time I recreate it as the quantities are rarely the same.

I usually have to tweak the recipe as well. So for "round 2" I usually end up changing the title depending on the total weight.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, put the weight per serving in the title.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Same as stated above.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I usually have to tweak the recipe as well. So for "round 2" I usually end up changing the title depending on the total weight.

I generally have to tweak too. But rather than divide by # of servings, I weigh the total recipe (let's say it comes out to 784 grams) then put that as the total servings. Then I log my portion as however many total grams I actually eat (so that 1 serving = 1 gram, and I'll then have 168 servings, for example).
  • SecondLastchance
    Options

I generally have to tweak too. But rather than divide by # of servings, I weigh the total recipe (let's say it comes out to 784 grams) then put that as the total servings. Then I log my portion as however many total grams I actually eat (so that 1 serving = 1 gram, and I'll then have 168 servings, for example).

Thats an excellent idea...I may try that.
  • SecondLastchance
    Options

Let me ask this...if a serving has less than .05g of something, will MFP round down and then no matter what you put in, you end up with 0g?
    Example: If I have a soup that in 250g has 5g of protein, yet in 1g it has .02g of protein. Therefore MFP sees it as 0g protein per serving, so even after entering 250 servings (to equal 250g) I end up with 0g of protein and an inaccurate calorie count.

Not sure if this will happen, going to do a few experiments to find out. Anyone else?
  • SecondLastchance
    Options

Let me ask this...if a serving has less than .05g of something, will MFP round down and then no matter what you put in, you end up with 0g?
    Example: If I have a soup that in 250g has 5g of protein, yet in 1g it has .02g of protein. Therefore MFP sees it as 0g protein per serving, so even after entering 250 servings (to equal 250g) I end up with 0g of protein and an inaccurate calorie count.

Not sure if this will happen, going to do a few experiments to find out. Anyone else?

So after a very quick experiment, It appears MFP rounds down and you can end up with inaccurate calorie counts. I had mashed sweet potatoes with 3g protein per serving (at 250g) and at 1g/serving = 0g of protein. At 250 servings still 0g of protein.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

Yep, that's why I don't do the total weight = serving idea. I tried it once but it throws off all the macros.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Yep, that's why I don't do the total weight = serving idea. I tried it once but it throws off all the macros.

I've never had this be an issue - it displays the 0 number for 1 serving but when you enter multiple servings, say 100 servings for example, it does do the math right.

ETA: Look at my ticker, clearly I'm doing something right :wink: