Strength Training vs Running

Options
2»

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you want to run 3-4 days a week and cross-train 2-3. Runners in particular find it hard to lose weight when training for endurance races, it can be done but usually it's at a very very slow and steady pace.

6 days of running a week is a lot, definitely too much. I usually run 4, and have run 5 a week on rare occasion. It's better to let your muscles rest and make your 3-4 days a week quality runs. Also, look into speed training - don't know if you're training for a race or not, but varying your intensity and speed will make you a more efficient runner.

The muscle loss claim is ridiculous. But you do need enough protein to help repair your muscles after any workout, but pounding the pavement definitely requires more.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love to run and work out with weights. I have been trying to do both and lose weight. For me it's not working. Is it better to just do one or the other?

You're on the right track by doing both. They serve two different purposes. Just stick with it and make sure your diet is in check and you will see results.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That's just not true. Unfortunately, trainers have to work a lot of hours to make a living and they don't always have time to really learn physiology--many have a tendency to just mimic the latest fad.

It is very difficult to improve true mechanical efficiency to the point where you would see significant decrease in calories burned. Even professional athletes rarely increase their efficiency by even as much as 1%.

There is a difference between varying your training intensity and just changing exercises at random to "confuse the body". The first is a crucial training strategy, the second is just a marketing gimmick.

Agree with trainer comment. Not sure what you mean by mechanical efficiency but physiological efficiency can be greatly increased through specific skill training. A beginner runner will start off running a 10k slowly maybe having to stop in places. The same runner after 6 months of specific training (running) will be massively faster over the same difference simply because they have become more efficient at the specific activity (skill) practiced which is running. Put them in a swimming pool and they start at square one because they are not practiced at the specific skill of swimming. Running is good and well if you enjoy it and have a goal of running a sub 3 marathon one day but there are far easier and more effective ways of going about things if you are after overall health and a well defined sculpted physique.

It all depends on an individuals goals. If the OP wants run a marathon in a year the sure I'd advise you to do your HIIT runs, a tempo run and one long run a week and build it up but it didn't come across that way.

A great book that dispels a lot of myths is 'body by science' by Dr Doug Mcguff which includes some very interesting research
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Doing both is fine, but you dont want to keep the same routine, you need to mix it up as your body will get into a routine and wont show any progress...
    You need to also look at what your eating and how often and also make sure you are mixing it up aswell or your body will not change.. you need to shock your body ..
  • abcollins1355
    Options
    Really you need to pick a goal and stick with it.

What do you want ultimately??

If you love to run and just cant give it up, then forget about adding any amount of muscle (not saying that the strenght training is bad). But running that much you are not a) getting enough recovery to build up muscle B) eating enough to build up muscle. There is a reason why distance runners look the way they do and why body builders look they way they do.

If you want to buld muscle then you need to cut back the cardio to 30 mins and no more and change your strenght training up for that goal and eat proper nutrition for that goal.

You can not weight train AND run 25 miles a day and expect to see any real results in muscle gains. Though you can see strength gains.

You just need to decide which is more improtant to you change your training to meet your goals and then stick with that goal.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Wow! So much information! I haven't read every detail but just wanted to share that muscle weighs more than fat. Measure yourself with a tape measure to see the difference. Your clothes will tell something too! As far as running and lifting weights I am for both. Its called cross training. Just remember to take a day of rest! Muscle can break down if it doesn't get a chance to rest. I learned that in college. I peaked at your this weeks menu quickly. Either you were way under calories or you didn't record everything. But I think all in all, your doing great with nutrition!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Agree with trainer comment. Not sure what you mean by mechanical efficiency but physiological efficiency can be greatly increased through specific skill training. A beginner runner will start off running a 10k slowly maybe having to stop in places. The same runner after 6 months of specific training (running) will be massively faster over the same difference simply because they have become more efficient at the specific activity (skill) practiced which is running. Put them in a swimming pool and they start at square one because they are not practiced at the specific skill of swimming. Running is good and well if you enjoy it and have a goal of running a sub 3 marathon one day but there are far easier and more effective ways of going about things if you are after overall health and a well defined sculpted physique.

It all depends on an individuals goals. If the OP wants run a marathon in a year the sure I'd advise you to do your HIIT runs, a tempo run and one long run a week and build it up but it didn't come across that way.

A great book that dispels a lot of myths is 'body by science' by Dr Doug Mcguff which includes some very interesting research

She was originally referring to efficiency regarding distance covered and calories burned, which as Azdak says does NOT improve through training. What does improve is, as you point out, the efficiency regarding distance covered and perceived effort, ie. through training you can cover the same distance in the same time using a much smaller amount of effort on your part. But regardless of the effort required, you will not burn any less calories if you still weigh the same.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replys. I have learned alot! Vickie
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Doing both is fine. Weight training builds muscle and burns some fat, while cardio burns fat and some muscle. However, I would suggest you change your workout routine. You should separate each day into a different workout so you get all the muscle groups, and only work them out once a week.

I am a firm believer in Max OT Weight training/cardio.

1. Each workout should last approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
    2. Train only 1 or 2 muscle groups per workout/day.
    3. Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
    4. Do 4 to 6 reps per set.
    5. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets. (STR)
    6. Train each muscle group once every 5 to 7 days. (ITR)
    7. Take a 1 week break from training every 8 to 10 weeks.

PDF file about it (free) here: http://www.freedomfly.net/Documents/MAX-OT.pdf

If you ever need variations of this, Skip LaCour had many Max-OT variations:
    http://www.skiplacour.com/max_ot_routine_home.htm
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Wow! So much information! I haven't read every detail but just wanted to share that muscle weighs more than fat.

Muscle ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT weigh more than fat. I'm sorry but if you don't know what you're talking about, don't be giving advice.

1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat...just as one ton of bricks weighs the same as one ton of feathers. It should go without saying, but people keep spouting off that muscle weighs more. WRONG! A pound is a pound. Muscle is far denser than fat, so by volume, it seems to weigh more. A pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat but does not weigh any more.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Wow! So much information! I haven't read every detail but just wanted to share that muscle weighs more than fat.

Muscle ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT weigh more than fat. I'm sorry but if you don't know what you're talking about, don't be giving advice.

1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat...just as one ton of bricks weighs the same as one ton of feathers. It should go without saying, but people keep spouting off that muscle weighs more. WRONG! A pound is a pound. Muscle is far denser than fat, so by volume, it seems to weigh more. A pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat but does not weigh any more.

I think what was mean was that Muscle take up less space than fat. That was why measuring is important when your in a transition phase. I do think most of use understood because the term " muscle weighs more than fat" is use through out the fitness world.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Doing both is fine. Weight training builds muscle and burns some fat, while cardio burns fat and some muscle. However, I would suggest you change your workout routine. You should separate each day into a different workout so you get all the muscle groups, and only work them out once a week.

I am a firm believer in Max OT Weight training/cardio.

1. Each workout should last approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
    2. Train only 1 or 2 muscle groups per workout/day.
    3. Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
    4. Do 4 to 6 reps per set.
    5. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets. (STR)
    6. Train each muscle group once every 5 to 7 days. (ITR)
    7. Take a 1 week break from training every 8 to 10 weeks.

PDF file about it (free) here: http://www.freedomfly.net/Documents/MAX-OT.pdf

If you ever need variations of this, Skip LaCour had many Max-OT variations:
    http://www.skiplacour.com/max_ot_routine_home.htm

I don't personally agree with this. That looks like a very dated body building split which is not going to be beneficial to most on this website. Compound movements with progressively increasing weight is the go for beginners IMO. Rippetoes starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 are two of the best (and very similar) and they both focus on the big compound movements to hit as many muscles as possible to increase the efficiency of the workout.

Then do cardio (steady state, HIIT, sprints, your favourite sport) on other days.
  • YeaILift
    Options
    I don't personally agree with this. That looks like a very dated body building split which is not going to be beneficial to most on this website. Compound movements with progressively increasing weight is the go for beginners IMO. Rippetoes starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 are two of the best (and very similar) and they both focus on the big compound movements to hit as many muscles as possible to increase the efficiency of the workout.

Then do cardio (steady state, HIIT, sprints, your favurite sport) on other days.

Yes, this PDF is a few years old; however, the basic principles of Max OT have not changed. It is still relevant information and that is why it is still around. You obviously did not read the PDF because it clearly states the importance of compound lifting. Also, the warm up and heavy lifting sets are structured in a way so that you increase your weight as soon as you exceed the 4 - 6 rep range. You will end up lifting more, heavier weights with the way the system is set up.

Any weight lifting routine will work to an extent. The same is true for cardio. However, the goal of Max Overload Training and Max OT Cardio is to limit time in the gym while maximizing growth.

From the PDF:
    As it has become apparent, Max-OT relies heavily on compound exercises. A compound
    exercise is a movement that involves more than one major muscle group. A compound
    exercise involves a "primary" muscle and one or more "secondary" muscles. Max-OT
    incorporates compound movements for the primary muscle involved. The overload
    benefits to the secondary muscles are a part of Max-OT, but only from a volume
    standpoint.

With compound exercises much more weight can be lifted. More weight - more overload.
    In fact, compound exercises allow far much greater weight to be used than noncompound
    or isolation exercises. This enhances efficiency. More weight, more overload,
    more muscle.
    It's important to take advantage of the increased power available with compound
    exercises. A major mistake I see many people make is trying to make an exercise more
    difficult. They do everything they can to work against the mechanics of their own body.
    They are under the false impression that the more difficult you make an exercise the
    more effective it is. Wrong!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Nope, didn't have time for 165 pages :P

I was referring to the only do one muscle per week part BTW for the bodybuilding type workout.

Max OT sounds the same as High Intensity Training which was first made popular by Mike Mentzer.

I have one mate who uses that principle and it is working for him but it depends on your goals and it doesn't fit for mine.
  • YeaILift
    Options
    It's one/two muscles a day per week.

i.e.
    Mon - Chest, Abs
    Tue - Biceps, Triceps
    Wed - Shoulder, Trap
    Thur - Back
    Fri - Legs

I'm guessing your friend is doing HST which is completely different.
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Yeah, that is an body building split that people who have progressed past beginner stage may try. At first, full body workouts are the go.

My mate does HIT not HST, totally different. It's not for me though as I like working out a lot, not just once a week and I like to do a lot of conditioning also.
  • luthersetzer
    luthersetzer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found this thread while searching for High Intensity Training (HIT). I just wanted to share that I have lost 23 pounds (from 216 to 193) since May 2010 using the Food tab on this site in conjunction with the Big Five Workout in BODY BY SCIENCE by Little and McGuff. I also use GNC Colon Cleanse and Super Colon Cleanse at the prescribed intervals along with a standard multivitamin and essential fatty acids. I actually dislike doing more exercise than needed so the 12 minute per week routine suits me perfectly. I cannot comment on factors such as cholesterol, etc. but my percent body fat is dropping to "healthy" levels. I am a man measuring six feet in height. I checked a few months ago and my body fat had dropped from 21% to 18%. I expect it to measure lower still when I measure in May 2011 or so.