Normal discomfort for 1st time barbell squat?

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
I did barbell squats for the first time today. I'm feeling super powerful :) but I do have a question. I found that just holding the bar on my back was really, really uncomfortable. Not exactly painful, but a strange twisting, stretching feeling in my arms. Is that normal for a newbie - something I'll get used to with time? Or is it more likely I am holding it wrong? Ideally, I'd have someone at the gym advise me, but there's no one there to do it, I even asked. It's a free university gym, though, so hard to complain.

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's a new thing and doesn't feel natural at first - especially when you have the bar low across the back (and not atop the shoulders /neck). It will feel less unusual over time.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You could try moving your arms out a little further on the bar. When I do back squats, I think I hold the bar so my pinkie fingers are about a hand-width from the squat rack. They are significantly wider than my shoulders or hips. It could be a strength issue as well; I've definitely noticed arm discomfort if I increase my weights significantly on a squat. I think as long as it is shoulder pain and not back pain it will work itself out with little tweaks or over time. Just make sure you're resting the barbell on your traps, not your spine :)