Unhappy Mom/Wife

Options
2»

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful to try to pinpoint why you're unhappy. Are you unhappy with something in your life in general or your weight.

Like others have said here, exercise can definitely help, even if you're doing nothing but going out for a walk 30 minutes a day. Give yourself a chance to clear your head and get some fresh air.

The diet part takes time, and if you have no energy and always feel depressed it will be tough. But it is easier if you have some insight into what is making you unhappy.
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A mixture of counselling, exercise, possible medications will ALL help. I think it's very important to find out the WHY you are feeling low - is it because you don't have any alone time, do you need meds, has something happened in the past, etc etc. I have spent time with a psychologist, am on medications, got back into exercising. Every part of it has helped me to be the person I love being. Speaking with a psychologist was the worst and most painful thing I ever did, I found out stuff that I had suppressed for so so long but it was also the most powerful thing I did to better myself and be a happier person within. Over time I learned to use strategies to get me through the difficult moments.
    Exercise empowers me, I feel awesome afterwards, it's a total focus on me time. At times I damn well hate it while doing it but afterwards I feel amazing even with the aches and soreness following a tough workout.
    Medication has lessened my anxiety and I have gained so much self confidence and don't have the social anxiety that imprisoned me in my earlier years.
    There is help available, make it a priority to put yourself first and get the help that is there and that you are entitled to, to enable you to be the person you want to be.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    While exercise defiantly helps, it may still be best to talk with your doctor. Meds r not always a bad thing.... And neither is exercise:)
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Agree with others, if you are experiencing profound depression and especially if you are having thoughts about harming yourself or others, please do not wait, get help NOW. The national suicide prevention helpline is 1-800-273-8255 and they have caring people staffing the lines who can help you.

As to your other question...I suffered a lot with depression in my life and exercise has been one of the best helps for it...however, it's the exercise itself, not getting thinner, that has helped. The problems you have in your life now will not magically disappear if you lose weight. I have a coworker who had weight loss surgery thinking all her problems would disappear once she was smaller...it didn't work out that way. She is a happier person, but her life is very different than what it was or even what she hoped it would be.

Sometimes just making one, small positive change towards feeling better and having a better life can help a lot, as can making a plan for how you are going to fix/change things...good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon. :)
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    You are the only one that can answer this, not us.

Are you depressed/unhappy/irritable due to your weight? If not, the simple answer is no, and you should seek medical help to aid your condition.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I think exercise will help, with a caveat. It needs to be an exercise you enjoy and will continue. If it becomes another chore, especially a chore that gets skipped, it can become another source of negative feelings. Just taking a walk every night while listening to music could help, it gives you some time to unplug, and yes, natural mood lifting from endorphin.

If you never seem to get out of the negative mood, you probably should talk to a psychiatrist or therapist. It may not be drugs you need but someone who can listen and offer help.

When was the last time you had a physical? If it's been a while you might want to go in and rule out any physical causes that could be making things worse.