Medical student starting macro diet

I figured I'd drop a line to meet other folks using MFP, to open myself up to new ideas and to lend support or give advice if it's needed.

I'm a 21-year-old medical student. I'm 6'1'' 178.5 lbs, ~15% body fat.

I've always been fairly athletic, but have recently decided that I want to get really cut. I've researched the necessary dieting fairly heavily, and have consulted with a friend/classmate who is a natural bodybuilder.

I decided to start counting my macros and am currently doing a 15% caloric deficit at 2303 kcal/day (238 carb, 178 protein, 71 fat). I've been doing this for 6 days and tracking with MFP for 5. I'm adding in a weekly re-feed day with 1.5x my usual carbs to keep my metabolism high while the weight comes off.

I plan to continue the deficit until I'm down to 10% BF, then I'll add back 5g carbs per week until I start gaining weight again (increased strength is a big goal of mine, I just want to lose the extra fat first).

I exercise 5-7 days per week, alternating between lifting and cardio, so really the net caloric deficit probably sits somewhere around 500-600 calories per day.

So far I've found that counting macros is a great way to diet because a) I'm not restricted like I was when I tried keto a while back, and b) when I hit my macros for the day I find I'm able to more easily manage any residual hunger. I know I'm getting the calories I need and nothing more, it's pretty empowering.

As far as exercise goes, my PRs/goals are:

1mi 5:33/5:30
10k 55:20/50:00
Bench press 235/250
Deadlift 225/300
Squat 225/300
Pull-up 19/30
Pushup 25/50

SQ/DL are low from some lower back problems I've had for the last few weeks. Worked that out and have been on the up and up since then, hoping to PR those fairly soon!

If anyone out there has suggestions or comments about counting macros (recipes, lessons learned etc) I'd love to hear them. Loving this site so far! :)

Replies

• Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    You should check out Maxx Chewning and Matty Fusaro on Youtube. They both have awesome channels on IIFYM Macros eating.
  • npetre
    npetre Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'd never thought about going to YouTube for ideas!