Exercise ideas anyone?

Options
I have been suffering with my achilles heel for the past 8 months. I take it easy with exercise and it gets better and then it flares up again. It hurts the most when I walk and do exercise like aerobics, zumba etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions of non-impact exercise that I can do at home? I have an exercise bike but that is getting a bit boring and the neighbours don't like the noise. I can't afford to buy any new equipment either.

Thanks

Simone

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My best recommendation, stretch it, stretch it, stretch it! For workouts you can do at home on the cheap, I recommend this website:

http://www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/all/?videotype=free-full-length

They have all kinds of videos, but I'd probably say the Pilates and Yoga would be most appropriate for not aggravating your injury.
  • iamanne
    iamanne Posts: 67
    Options
    Yoga is a great workout you can do at home. You can buy a book or DVD pretty cheaply.
  • Lily_Rose
    Lily_Rose Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When my Mom had hip replacement surgery, her doctor recommended swimming and water aerobics.
    Water exercises are some of the lowest impact exercises you can do.
    Most pools give a discount to residents. If there is a pool or rec center with a pool near you, you'd need to find out the exact requirements.
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    I would say yoga and pilates, maybe you can hire dvds from your local library to try them out or pick some up from charity shops, they always have them. Maybe do some weights too, you can use full mineral water bottles as weights or cans. There are loads of free exercise programs online if you google low impact exercise I'm sure you'll find something.

Good luck.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I am having this same problem and the doc has told not to do any high impact for two weeks. So, this is what I did yesterday; I warmed up on the ellip for 10 minutes, then stretched really well with all of the stretches that the doc gave me. Then I started the 100 push-up challenge, the 200 sit-up challenge and the 200 squat challenge. If you google 100 push-ups you'll find all three. Then I finished on the ellip. with another 20 minutes just to get a few more calories. I've been getting bored on the ellip too, but the 20 minutes wasn't too bad and maybe that won't be enough time on the bike to bother your neighbors? It seemed to be a pretty good workout over all. I'm reasonably sore today. The push-ups, for me, were certainly the hardest and I think the best workout. My heart rate was the highest for that round.

I think if you are looking for a calorie burn like you would get during Zumba, power yoga or power pilates would probably be good. Something where your heart rate gets elevated.

Hope this helped!
  • 3110cynthia
    Options
    my goodness 200 pushups?situps?squats? r u outa ur mind? - that's awsome whew - it would take me several days to accaomplish that
  • CakeFit21
    Options
    my goodness 200 pushups?situps?squats? r u outa ur mind? - that's awsome whew - it would take me several days to accaomplish that

LOL, no, not all at once! It's a program to get to those numbers, much like the Couch to 5k program. You do several sets of push-ups/crunches/squats 3 days a week. After a certain number of weeks, (6, I think?) you should be able to do 100 push-ups at once. I just suggested that because it's low-impact but still keeps your heart rate up for the calorie burn.
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the good ideas!

I will definately be trying some yoga. I used to do it before but have been concentrating on more cardio just recently.

I might try the push up/sit up/squats challenges too. Don't know how to log it though....
  • CakeFit21
    Options
    I used a HRM. However, when I looked up calisthenics to see how close MFP was to my HRM, and it was pretty close. You probably want to just do a good warm up to get your heart rate/calorie burn going.

BTW-- I'm two days out today and I'm nice and sore. I feel like my core and shoulders got a really great workout.