Maintaining but always feeling hungry all the time.

Options
The last 2-3 months I've done well, I've kept my hard earned lost weight off, but everyday I felt more hungier and hungier.

I naturally increased by calorie limit everyday, but can't go up much higher, I dont know how much longer I can keep up with this torture lifestyle.

If I return to eating "normally" it will be unthinkable...

Replies

• _Iron_Man_
    _Iron_Man_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine how you can maintain on the long run based on the last days on your diary. You need to reconsider what you eat, or it cannot work. 1000 calorie meals and maintaining a healthy weight, it is not something many people can do. Unless you plan to significantly increase your activity (and so increase your calories), you need to change what you eat, or end up regaining, sorry.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    When I reduce carbs to around 150g a day, I find I am less hungry and have fewer cravings. I think eating high carb adversely affects my blood glucose levels, causing them to yoyo (first too high, then too low which causes the hunger). It especially helps me to have a low carb breakfast.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Excercing makes me feel more hungry, then I have dinner and now started eating desserts again, but with the constant feeling I havent eaten enough or haven't eaten at all remains.

The future looks difficult, as are calorie maintainance levels drops down every year as we get older, so we must eat less, but I don't know how by somehow i'm gonna fight it, maybe I'm just not drinking enough water...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine how you can maintain on the long run based on the last days on your diary. You need to reconsider what you eat, or it cannot work. 1000 calorie meals and maintaining a healthy weight, it is not something many people can do. Unless you plan to significantly increase your activity (and so increase your calories), you need to change what you eat, or end up regaining, sorry.

Really? What a load of rubbish! Anyone can easily eat 2 1000 calorie meals and maintain their weight if they maintain on 2000 cals... Simple maths... A sweeping statement of 'eating 1000 calorie meals and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not something many people can do' is bollocks!

OP what are your stats? your calorie goal is 1900 cals, that's not really a massive amount for a man?
  • LKArgh
    Options

Really? What a load of rubbish! Anyone can easily eat 2 1000 calorie meals and maintain their weight if they maintain on 2000 cals... Simple maths... A sweeping statement of 'eating 1000 calorie meals and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not something many people can do' is bollocks!

OP what are your stats? your calorie goal is 1900 cals, that's not really a massive amount for a man?
    The OP is hungry. Because he eats 2 1000 calorie meals, and then he can eat nothing else. Maybe there are people out there who can eat only twice a day, and who have so small stomachs that calorie-dense junk food will satisfy them. For most, it does not work this way. When half your calories come from a single sandwich, then 500 more come from chips, you are doomed to fail, or be miserable.
    And swearing does not make ignorant comments more valid, sorry :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The OP is hungry. Because he eats 2 1000 calorie meals, and then he can eat nothing else. Maybe there are people out there who can eat only twice a day, and who have so small stomachs that calorie-dense junk food will satisfy them. For most, it does not work this way. When half your calories come from a single sandwich, then 500 more come from chips, you are doomed to fail, or be miserable.

So IF is ignorant.... Interesting point of view....
  • LKArgh
    Options

I replied to the OP why he is hungry. You are probably confusing me for someone into paleo, clean eating or whatever and attacked me without even bothering to see what I am replying to. You took something out of context, added a few swear words, and this was supposed to intimidate me or whatever. Since high school is a distant memory, it does not work this way, sorry.
    Yes, the OP can have whatever he likes to eat, and the occasional 5000 calorie party and do great. What he cannot do is choose a junk-food based 2-meal a day lifestyle, maintain and feel full. Not possible.

See, you can disagree with someone without calling names, lots of people do it :)
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Try upping your protein levels that really helps me feel fuller :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I replied to the OP why he is hungry. You are probably confusing me for someone into paleo, clean eating or whatever and attacked me without even bothering to see what I am replying to. You took something out of context, added a few swear words, and this was supposed to intimidate me or whatever. Since high school is a distant memory, it does not work this way, sorry.
    Yes, the OP can have whatever he likes to eat, and the occasional 5000 calorie party and do great. What he cannot do is choose a junk-food based 2-meal a day lifestyle, maintain and feel full. Not possible.

See, you can disagree with someone without calling names, lots of people do it :)

Sorry but no one called names...nothing was taken out of context...

IF is a viable choice for some...and it's not when the OP eats...

OP yes 1900 is not even my maintenance and I am a 40 year old women...mine is around 2300....

Another thing I noticed is your protien is very low...under 90 grams typically. Try increasing your protien to feel fuller longer.

ETA: and you really didn't address the hunger just when he ate and that it "wouldn't work" which is incorrect...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I was thinking this too …
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - did you have this problem when you were in a deficit and losing weight? Also, your maintenance level calories seem low. I am 34 male and a 500 per day deficit for me is just about 2100 to 2200….so I am actually eating less then you and cutting...
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary, and didn't see any leafy green vegs (e.g. spinach, kale, etc), only a few root vegs, like carrots.
    You might try adding more vegs to your dinner and lunch. Without adding many calories, you'll get good nutritional benefits, along with some bulk/fiber to help you feel full for longer.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I have the mindset I'm improving or getting worse. Maintaining doesn't seem like an envious position for me.

If you lift, try bulking and then cutting. It gives you chunks of time on both sides of the fence.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    In the past few weeks you've messed around with your calorie allowance and not settled anywhere for long enough to see what actually works. You've already said you don't weigh your food so how do you know what you are eating? I agree with adding more protein and fibre. Pick a calorie goal and stick with it religiously for a good few weeks to see what is happening and go from there
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Skimming through some of the conversations going on about your food diary, it seems to me that you're just eating two meals a day? You may have to consider (if you can) spreading meals throughout the day, of course then they can't be 1000 calories each anymore. Hopefully then you won't be in a constant state of hunger. :)
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you cook for yourself or not, however that is one way to better control your intake and balance. Also if you do just eat out, selecting items that are toward the protein/fiber end is better than loading up on carbs. You seem to have a sedentary lifestyle, which is fine, but it does mean that you have less calories per day to eat.

Spread out how you are eating... for example set up your diary like such:
    Breakfast
    mid morn snack
    Lunch
    mid afternoon snack
    Dinner
    Post dinner snack

Try to spread things out a bit too, so that you don't get a roller coaster feeling of hungry/full and end up over eating calories.
    Green veggies and lean meat (chicken) are your friend. Biscuits, chips, bread and the like I have found just make me crave more of the same and don't have me feeling full.

Set up a calorie goal, balance your intake, and track for 3-4 weeks to see where your food intake has you heading.
    It's a slow process, doesn't occur overnight. Good luck!
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Had the exact same problem on a 200-300kcal deficit. I started researching because I was worried I was doing something wrong, and indeed I was.

Simple carbs and saturated fat make you feel full for 30-120min. Longer than that, and you feel like you could eat a dragon alive. It's annoying as hell :/

My solution was to start focusing on complex carbs, protein, non-saturated fats and fiber whenever possible. Since then, I have days when I don't feel hungry, even with a daily deficit of around 400kcal. Those days when I eat pastry, sugary drinks or saturated fats is when the hunger creeps back. I stopped eating cookies altogether just because of that.

The glycemic index of different carbs and the fact that saturated fats do not activate one of the hormones tied to satiety are what was making me feel hungry all the time. Fiber also helps to slow down the digestive process, and I really love the result. I don't feel those energy spikes anymore whenever I eat, which I'm now able to notice whenever I eat out and have no "healthy" options to choose.

This article is a good starting point to read more:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The last 2-3 months I've done well, I've kept my hard earned lost weight off, but everyday I felt more hungier and hungier.

I naturally increased by calorie limit everyday, but can't go up much higher, I dont know how much longer I can keep up with this torture lifestyle.

If I return to eating "normally" it will be unthinkable...
    Hey, my friend. What did you learn about maintenance while you were losing?

I remember I couldn't get you to eat 1500 calories to save my life. What's changed? It kinda looks like the types of stuff you're eating has changed somewhat.

Could you try going back to what you were eating before, but just eating portions that are about 1/4 larger? I betcha you would feel fuller on that.