Body recomp and ed recovery!

Options
Up until now I've been averaging about 1500cals a day, but I've been looking at a few websites and most of which are telling me I should be eating around 2200 cals a day to maintain my weight (I'm healthy at 140lbs for 5ft7). I trying to do a body recomp and build muscle while losing fat. At my lowest I weighed 123lbs, too little for my height so I tried to gain muscle but ended up gaining fat also, that's when the disordered eating started :( I know after 18 months of struggling with food and a cycling of starving and bingeing my body is damaged but I'm scared to eat more! Maybe if I ate more the binges and disordered eating would stop? I just want to be fit and healthy not skinny and starving!! I'm really confused :( anyone have any advice or been in this situation?

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Maybe add 100-200 calories at a time? Start at like 1650 for a few weeks, you will probably gain at first but should even out, after a few weeks you can add another 100 or so and repeat until you get to your goal. At some point you may notice gaining fat, if that happens just knock it down to the last goal and stick there for a few weeks longer. You will gain weight bc of the muscle so keep that in mind, I'd probably focus on measurements more than anything while adjusting.
  • jenn6832
    jenn6832 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yeah, I've read that slowly upping my intake is best so I think I'll try that, i'm just worried incase I gain fat again instead of muscle, agh it's so annoying :( thanks for the advice!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As above, build calories up over a few weeks. Accept that there may be some small fat gain anway - but that it'll be easy to reverse too.

Keep an eye on the scales, but worry about the trend, not individual days.

Have you got a workout plan doing weights? If so, what is it?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also keep in mind, that many with or who fought ED's will not follow the standard equations. In many cases, extreme caloric restrictions will cause muscle loss and adapted metabolic rates. So you may not follow the equation. I agree that you should add calories slowly until you start gaining (and then back off) to find your true maintenance.
  • jenn6832
    jenn6832 Posts: 7
    Options
    As above, build calories up over a few weeks. Accept that there may be some small fat gain anway - but that it'll be easy to reverse too.

I'm a runner so not used ito doing weights alot but want to start into it properly, ATM I'm doing this..I'm two weeks in so still on body weight stuff http://www.oxygenmag.com/your-90-day-best-body-challenge/

Do you recommend any good weight training plans? I can't afford a gym but can use dumbells and resistance bands at home
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The normal ones I'd recommend are Starting Strength, Stronglifts or "New Rules of lifting for women".
    They are based around barbells (at least the first two are, haven't looked in to the latter, but it's considered good by people I trust).

If you can, I'd look to get a barbell - I do all my workouts at my own place and have my own barbell, rack and bench. All got second hand and didn't cost too much.

You should be fine starting on a 'normal' (1") barbell which are usually very cheap or even free second hand.
    You could also then use your reistance bands with the barbell, but having both, I prefer the 'real' weights generally.

If you get a little creating, you could probably do all the routines with what you have now, but a barbell and weights make it easier to keep track of progress and so on.

If you're still "in recovery" it is worth checking with your doctor that it's ok to do this exercise too.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    At my lowest I weighed 123lbs, too little for my height so I tried to gain muscle but ended up gaining fat also, that's when the disordered eating started

How do you know that you got fat? Hopefully you have some fat calipers or use a tape measure in addition to the just weighing yourself. Your mind will play tricks on you. When the scale starts going up you'll assume it is fat and go back to disordered eating.

Good luck!
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    instead of the scale go by your measurements if you are trying to lean out with muscle. it's a better way to determine your progress.
    also only weight your self once every 1-2 weeks.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is what happens.

QwC37PX.png

Weight yourself every week and keep adding 100 calories every week. Im reverse dieting for one week right now and I and lost 2 pounds already you should expect some water weight gain in the process though. Good luck ;)!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm a runner so not used ito doing weights alot but want to start into it properly, ATM I'm doing this..I'm two weeks in so still on body weight stuff http://www.oxygenmag.com/your-90-day-best-body-challenge/

Do you recommend any good weight training plans? I can't afford a gym but can use dumbells and resistance bands at home

Well you wont recomp running. You will definitely need to start weight training. geebusuk provide my recommendations. Outside of that, you can either do upper lower splits or start with full body routiness. If you workout at home and have equipment, a program like body beast would work well.

Whats your current macronutrients set at? Have you increase protein and do you use a food scale?