Is Wii Fit worth buying??

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
I've wanted it for awhile.... my boyfriend gave me a Wii for my birthday in June, knowing I wanted one. I've looked at the Wii fit many times since then but haven't actually purchased it yet. It sounds so cool and looks like it would be really fun to use!

For those of you that have it, do you actually use it regularly? Is it like "real" exercise or more like a game. I hate to waste money on something I'll rarely use or that I'll be disappointed with.

My living room is kinda small - will it work for me? Some of the regular games are even hard to play due to the lack of space.

Replies

• BK120
    BK120 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have found the WII Fit to boring after a short while. I'm using Your Shape and it has strength and cardio exercise. It is a different workout each time.
  • moonport
    moonport Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My living room is TINY and I'm able to use it full out. I love it and don't regret the purchase at all. I don't use it to exercise as much as I should, but you can get a pretty good work out if you use it right. I use it to track my weight, mainly. It's just a fun tool to aid your weight loss.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have wii fit plus along with Dance Workout. and I love them both.
  • debbiepringle
    debbiepringle Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love wii fit plus. I use it every day. I also love EA Sports and more. Great workouts in both
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My kids recently got one and I tried it (with a HRM on). Although the cardio isn't as good as a trip to the gym (for me), I worked up a sweat. More to the point, I lift weights regularly and my arms were SORE the next couple of days after doing the boxing and karate on Wii Fit. I say go for it!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't have a Wii fit but would like one also. I think I will be purchasing one in the near future because it will just be another fun tool to use to get myself fit. I like any work out that is going to be fun for me too. I have a Wii and use it on a daily basis.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I much prefer EA Sports Active, and a new version of it is coming out in a month or so I think, with wireless motion sensors and a built in heart rate monitor! Looks pretty cool. I used that game (the first 2 versions of it) almost exclusively to work out the first few months and the weight came off. However as I got more in shape, it was becoming quite boring and not enough of a challenge. So I'd say, depending on your fitness level, you might like it or you might see it too easy. I've been doing Turbo Fire and running and I don't think EA Sports Active would do much for me anymore.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I haven't really worked out before getting a Wii Fit, but having one leaves me no excuse. It's in my living room, I can do it at my convenience and it does in fact make me break a sweat.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I hated mine and never use it any more. I found that the video game aspects interfered with my ability to get a good workout and that a lot of the exercises were too easy as well. For example, their "jogging" is just bouncing from one foot to the other. At a time when I couldn't run for more than 5 min. at a time, I could "jog" on Wii Fit for hours. Also, it makes you unlock levels. You can't just go in and do 30 min. of step aerobics. You have to first unlock the 2 min. at a time, then 3, etc. So I had to stop all the aerobic exercises to restart the game constantly.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Sports and Wii FitPlus. As others have said, it may not give you a hard workout over time. I use mine more in the winter when it is hard to get outside, and I use it as a warm up - pairing it with a workout DVD, resistance band workout, or bike downstairs (on a trainer). It is fun, something different...which is always good.
  • katiejo42
    katiejo42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like it. It's definitely worth investing in the fit plus though. It makes quite a lot of difference.
    The games are harder and more varied, anyone who doesn't break a sweat whilst flapping their arms on the birdie flight one is a machine!!
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This was a great post and everybody's input. I would really like to get it, too. Sometimes I think it would be more convenient to exercise at home during "tom", or when the roads are icy in the winter (they don't do good job cleaning them in our area)...
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my Wii Fit Plus! I'm not the only one using it....my husband and my oldest love to use it too because they could see how much fun I was having. I get the majority of my daily exercise outside (I walk an hour every day) but I do use my Wii Fit one some days as well. It leaves me sore in the arms and the middle (boxing and hula hooping). I also love the yoga and strength exercises. And it keeps track of my weight loss which is another plus for me. I love to see that downward sliding line on the graph!

Something else to think about; you may want to look for it on Ebay. I did that for about a week and occasionally someone would get one like new for a good price. I'm pretty impatient though and decided to just go purchase one outright. However, based on the short time I was watching them, many of them that were in "like new" or "gently used" condition went for close to the original selling price. I'm sharing this for two reasons. 1) If you are vigilant about watching them on Ebay you may get one at a good price. 2) If you purchase one and don't like it, you may be able to get a good portion of your money back by selling it on Ebay. Just keep the box and everything! That's what I did but I'm not going to get rid of mine. I love it too much!

Good luck! :)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... maybe I'll do some bargain shopping to see if I can find a used one somewhere like ebay or craigs list, so I'm not spending so much just in case I don't like it!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I got mine on craigslist :)
  • gmattach
    Options
    The wii fit PLUS is well worth your time and money. As you play more, you open up new levels and games. I sweat and really enjoy myself.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The number one thing it has provided for me is the opportunity to workout WITH my family. My 4 year old loves to play it and we have family game nights. This way I can workout AND spend time with my family (something I've found to be difficult now that the weather has turned gross and I'm back to work full-time).
  • PatriciaO
    Options
    I dont use it. I have it but it is so frustrating trying to get in sync. Personnally I think you will use it for a couple of times then it will collect dust.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't have one, but I used my room mates' Wii Fit Plus a lot when I lived in my old apartment. First off, even just by judging from most peoles' replies on this thread, it's usually used in conjunction with other weight loss activities. I certainly wouldn't buy it if you are expecting results from doing nothing but the Wii Fit. I agree with the other poster who said the "jogging" on Wii Fit is totally unrealistic, and yeah you break a sweat, but not like you would in a really efficient workout. Also, i second the "video game aspects" slowing down the whole process, etc. ,etc. Lastly, I think the fact that it forces you to weigh yourself each time you use it, is unhealthy. If you're already a slave to the scale (it sounds like many of MFP users are!), it will make you even more obsessed, especially if you are relying on it for the majority of your exercise. And a lot of people that hat have Wii Fit use it every day, and guess what? Weighing yourself every day is unnecessary and unreliable, since your weight naturally fluctuates so much hour to hour and day to day. It's not really reliable unless you weigh yourself no more often than once a week. Wii Fit is not cheap, so unless you have money to burn, I wouldn't recommend purchasing it!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting Wii Fit for a long time, i am going to check Kijiji first for a cheap one ,though, that is where i got my Wii; 200$ for it and 4 games :-) . One question i have for those using it, is there a lot of jumping/ jogging involved? I live on the 2nd floor and i do not want to be jumping around bothering the downstairs people in the mornings. I was using one called My Fitness Coach 2, but after a few weeks it was a lot of jumping jacks etc. Is Wii Fit the same?

Thank you,