Running Pains

Options
As a somewhat new runner (about two months in now, love it!) I started on the treadmill, and just this past week I started my outdoor running and now that I'm slowly going longer distances I'm noticing two things: blisters on my feet, and just yesterday I got sharp shoulder pain that felt like it could be cramping? Not sure, but it made it really uncomfortable to run. I'm wondering if it was because I had to carry both my keys in one hand and my iPhone in the other hand, and I may have been clenching too hard because this didn't happen on the treadmill in the gym when my hands were free.

So, I'm asking all the more experienced runners out there: how do you deal with your blisters and shoulder pain/cramps when they arise? Any helpful tips?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Blisters - I change up socks. There are specific running ones to help avoid blisters. I also tend to get one blister in one specific spot, so I usually use some Bodyglide or vaseline on the spot. That fixes it. I would switch shoes but my shoes work other than the blister and I can manage the blister.

Shoulder pain - I used to get it as well. It has to do with breathing for me. I tend to relax my shoulders and focus more on breathing deeper. I don't do the nose breathing thing. I feel like it was something that more just went away with time than anything else.
    It could have to do with clenching. There are plenty of options for stashing your items. I lock my keys in my car and take the key fob with me. Or I take my car key off the ring and just take one key. You can get an arm band or waist carrier for your phone and you should be able to carry your key there. It would be much beter.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Good advice from 3dogsrunning! It's tough enough to keep your shoulders relaxed when you're a new runner, carrying stuff just adds to the burden and you could really waste a lot of energy tensing up those muscles when they should be mostly relaxed when you run. I have an arm band that I use to carry my phone and a key for the house or my car. They also make running pants and shorts with a small zippered pocket in the back that you can use to carry id and a key.
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses! Very helpful. I decided to try running today without taking my phone, and putting my keys in my running jacket - no shoulder pain! Such a relief to keep my hands free - and you're right, it really did help me relax my muscles more.