Help with shoes...foot falling asleep on elliptical?

Options
Hello :smile: I'm looking to get new shoes for a variety of reasons, but the big one is that when I'm on the elliptical, towards the end (at around 25 minutes or so) my foot/feet start falling asleep a bit. I don't have any pinched nerves or sciatica - it feels more that the shoe is cutting into my ankle in a few spots.

Any recommendations on shoes to avoid this/good shoes for elliptical use/lifting? I don't run, so running shoes are not a need. I need something that's got some nice support to it, though, but still flexible.

Just thought I'd ask all you knowledgeable folks....thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I dont use an elliptical, so not sure if you will benefit from this or not....

I run, and no matter what shoes I use, anything over 10k my left foot falls asleep. I went through mid run stretches, changing shoes, upping my protein, you name it, nothing worked. I found a website one day that listed different ways to tie running shoes for common injuries or foot deformities such as bunions and that.

The type of tie I use loosens the tension on the toebox but keeps the ankle area taught as to not fall off during the run. This- along with significant weightloss has helped the most for me.

edited to include shoe tie link

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

HTH,
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's probably due to the way your shoes are tied and/or they're too tight. I've had the same thing happen on the elliptical due to having shoes tied to tight. I also get a sharp pain in my foot during high impact workouts if my shoes are too tight.

If you go to a good athletic shoe store or high end shoe store and talk to the sales person about what your experiences for pain, numbness during certain activities, they may also have some suggestions for you. I was getting blisters on my toes walking/running and found out I just need to make sure I get a shoe with a larger toebox to give them room. It's not always easy to tell things like this when you're trying the shoes on for a couple minutes. They might feel fine at the time but come to find out you need a slightly different design, more support, etc. A good shoe salesman will listen to your concerns and needs and do their best to help you. Sure you'll probably have to pay more for better shoes but it's worth it in the end! Especially since most places will let you exchange your shoes if you have a problem in the first few months. And your feet will thank you!
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I dont use an elliptical, so not sure if you will benefit from this or not....

I run, and no matter what shoes I use, anything over 10k my left foot falls asleep. I went through mid run stretches, changing shoes, upping my protein, you name it, nothing worked. I found a website one day that listed different ways to tie running shoes for common injuries or foot deformities such as bunions and that.

The type of tie I use loosens the tension on the toebox but keeps the ankle area taught as to not fall off during the run. This- along with significant weightloss has helped the most for me.

edited to include shoe tie link

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

HTH,

Just looked through it briefly before work....looks great - didn't know there were all those different techniques. Thanks - I'll give the one for numb feet a try tonight :smile:
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's probably due to the way your shoes are tied and/or they're too tight. I've had the same thing happen on the elliptical due to having shoes tied to tight. I also get a sharp pain in my foot during high impact workouts if my shoes are too tight.

If you go to a good athletic shoe store or high end shoe store and talk to the sales person about what your experiences for pain, numbness during certain activities, they may also have some suggestions for you. I was getting blisters on my toes walking/running and found out I just need to make sure I get a shoe with a larger toebox to give them room. It's not always easy to tell things like this when you're trying the shoes on for a couple minutes. They might feel fine at the time but come to find out you need a slightly different design, more support, etc. A good shoe salesman will listen to your concerns and needs and do their best to help you. Sure you'll probably have to pay more for better shoes but it's worth it in the end! Especially since most places will let you exchange your shoes if you have a problem in the first few months. And your feet will thank you!

Hadn't thought about going to one of those stores because the one here is basically all for runners/running shoes. All the running shoes I've tried on feel like they are so thin (grant it, this is at a regular store, like Kohls or something) so I figured I needed more of a cross-training shoe. I also can't bring myself to spend that kind of money for shoes for me - heck, my husband has more shoes than I do, and he just got some running shoes, too.

I'll try the lacing techniques first while I shop/try on other pairs. Hopefully that'll provide at least some relief. Thanks again :smile:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I find that if I increase the resistance and put my weight in my heels, it helps. (I think that being on the balls of my feet so much is the cause.) I've also read people saying that Merrell Bareform shoes help--zero drop, wide ball of foot area. I use these shoes now, but more for running and other things, so I haven't tested them out much on the elliptical.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's not just the way you lace your shoes - though that will help.

Your feet can get numb on an elliptical, because there is constant pressure on your feet. Even at the top of the cycle, you never fully take your weight off your foot.

The trick is to occasionally either lift your feet completely off the pedal, or at the very least, incorporate a heel-to-toe range of motion (like you would when walking) from time to time. You don't have to do it constantly, just enough to restore some circulation in your feet.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too! I can't stay on for longer than a half hour lol I have no idea what causes it because it happens no matter what shoes I have on
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's not your shoes.

This happens to me, too... I did a bunch of research about this on Livestrong & a few other sites... I thought I was doing something wrong, or need to do something different, but the pressure points on your feet never changes while you're on the elliptical (not like walking or running)... your feet are gonna fall asleep : (
  • Sporttster
    Sporttster Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This has started happening to me as well. Thought oh boy what's going on with my foot? My left foot would get numb near the end of around 23mins on the elliptical. So I've messed with loosening the shoes some as they are just a bit tight and it hasn't helped. May be time for new shoes that are a big bigger.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    When I'm on the elliptical I move my feet on the pads to prevent this. I slow down and roll my feet changing the pressure point from my heel to my toes, or I pick up my feet and "walk" on the elliptical for a couple minutes before letting them rest again, and then I can speed up and go for another 20 or so. I see other people doing the same walking thing on it, just because I think it happens to a lot of people.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure its as much of a shoe problem as it is an elliptical problem. This happens to me all the time, and think it does for a lot of people. I've noticed that shifting my foot position from time to time, so my weight isn't constantly pressing down on the same part of my foot, helps a lot!
  • Sporttster
    Sporttster Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Gonna work out tonight and will have to try moving my feet around see if that helps.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second what a few other people said. On the elliptical, especially when you are using the arm things as well, you tend to lean forward and put all the pressure on the balls of your feet. Make an effort to keep your weight in your heels for at least part of the motion and try not to lean forward. Good form is just as important on the elliptical as it is running or anything else
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know you said you were looking for new shoes anyway (get them!), but for the foot numbness thing... I had that happening too, and I found that it was my socks, not my shoes.

And I haven't really figured out exactly what it is... I just figured out which socks it happened with and which it didn't. The ones it happened with were slightly thinner, especially at the cuff/ankle, but other than that, I can't say exactly what caused it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,633 Member
    Options
    It's not your shoes.

This happens to me, too... I did a bunch of research about this on Livestrong & a few other sites... I thought I was doing something wrong, or need to do something different, but the pressure points on your feet never changes while you're on the elliptical (not like walking or running)... your feet are gonna fall asleep : (
    THIS. Like laying on your arm for a half hour and having it fall asleep, the pressure on the nerves on the feet usually don't get relieved by many people. Just lifting your feet off the pedals occasionally will help with this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's not your shoes. Mine go numb unless I think about them constantly. I have to think about how my feet are touching the slot.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. My max time on the elliptical is 30 minutes. It doesn't matter what shoes I wear or how tight or loose I tie them. I try and shift my feet around a little and that seems to help.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Bump. This happens to me as well, usually around 30 min on elliptical
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Lie on your back on the sofa and lift your legs on the back of the sofa and stay like that for 20 minutes.
    It help if you do this a couple times a week.