Looking for DVD suggestions

Options
Years ago, I worked out regularly and was in pretty good shape. Then came marriage, kids, work, and laziness. I've been back on track for the last 8 weeks and am feeling great again. Due to my schedule and having youngish kids, going to the gym on a regular basis is not an option. I've been running but need something different to break it up a bit.

I'm looking for dvd suggestions. I'm not in great shape now, but I'm looking for something I can grow into. I don't want too easy or too hard core. I know they are popular, but I don't think P90X or Insanity are my cup of tea.

I have some Cathe VHS tapes - which goes to show how long ago I worked out. :D

I'd greatly appreciate suggestions for both cardio and weight training. I checked out Collage, but the sheer number of dvds available there can be overwhelming.

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Well P90X and Insanity are not the only products that they offer over at beachbody.com. I'm sure their is something there you will like.
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I started off using Turbo Jam... and then I upgraded to the new Turbo Fire. And I have seen amazing results and LOVE it!! I actually look forward to working out. The Turbo Fire can be for beginners or for very advanced, your results are up to you, how much effort you put into it. As a beginner you do the "low impact" and as you get stronger you try to do more!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    TURBO JAM!!! Chalene is the best person ever for positive motivation and you can get the DVD’s for cheap on ebay. The workouts are so great moving you to burn lots of calories, fun music and really toning your arms. If you eventually want to advance do ChaLean Extreme or Turbo Fire. I’ve been doing Turbo Jam for almost 4 years and love it!!!

30 Day Shred’s quality is exactly what it costs, a measly $9.

Yes it will kick your but and I’m not saying it’s easy but Jillian is not a good motivator (always scowling and never positive) the music is absolute garbage and a lot of the moves are very old-school techniques that have since been shown to cause too much stress on the joints. It also looks like something that has been slapped together so it bothers me how much money she makes out of putting no effort into something. If budget is a concern then by all means, try it out.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I started off using Turbo Jam... and then I upgraded to the new Turbo Fire. And I have seen amazing results and LOVE it!! I actually look forward to working out. The Turbo Fire can be for beginners or for very advanced, your results are up to you, how much effort you put into it. As a beginner you do the "low impact" and as you get stronger you try to do more!

I love when someone has the same great idea at the same time I'm posting. A+++ on Turbo Jam!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am currently three weeks deep into insanity but, it is pretty demanding, you have to really wanna do it. However, on teh side i frequent the jillian michales collections. I do 30 day shred, and also yoga meltdown, and i have but, haven't tried (just fast forwarded through to see them quickly) banish fat, boost metabolism and also no more trouble zones. Lots of people really like hers tuff and its a short workout with a great burn. The banish fat, boost metabolism one is very similar with some of the moves insanity uses but, in a much less demanding way i think.
    Good luck!!
  • aprildauer
    Options
    If your looking for something very cheap, there is the DVDs by Jillian Michaels you can get from Wal-Mart. If you want to spend alittle more money by one of the Beachbody products. Im doing Rev Abs right now. I have a friend doing TurboJam. And a few doing P90x and Insanity but I agree thats not my cup of tea either.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I really like Tony Hortons 10 minute trainer videos. For accelerated results its 3 videos a day (30 mins!) The workouts are awesome and short and is a great way to build some endurance. I did 10 min trainer for 3 weeks and then moved on to P90x. Now i'm almost on week 3 for P90x. It was a great transition. I've heard a lot of great things about Jillian Michaels too, but i've not ever tried one of her workouts. Turbojam is AWESOME and fun! Hope you find something that suits you!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My two favorites by far (and I've done 3 90-day rounds of P90X and a 60-day round of Insanity) are ChaLean Extreme (seriously, I think it's the BEST strength training program for women out there) and Turbo Fire.

I did a 90-day 'round' of ChaLean Extreme this spring. It's 5 days/week, 30-45 minutes/day. LOVED the results.

I'm currently in week #13 of a hybrid using workouts from both ChaLean Extreme (it uses mainly the strength workouts) and Turbo Fire. Incredible variety, great music, fantastic cuing and focus on proper form. The Turbo Fire workouts range from 15 minutes up to 55 minutes.

Please feel free to message me if you'd like more info on either.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!

I just ordered Turbo Jam. Turbo Fire looks good too, but a bit advanced for me at this point. My goal is to get it in a few months. I want to be in that kind of shape again!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Great choice, best of luck!