mostly clean eating, dairy, weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    thanks, i lost about 8 pounds in 11 weeks i feel like after all the deprivation, logging and busting my *kitten* excersizing it should be at least 12 pounds in that time
    According to your ticker, you want to lose 37 lbs. the less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just how the human body works. So 8 lbs. in 11 weeks is great!

Set your goal to 1 lb. per week, and be patient. Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    thank you! i have read sexy pants a million times. lol
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yeah at first I was eating whatever I wanted within my calories, but I was going over my sugar and fat doing that. So eating a little healthier I feel like I am staying within my macros easier. Plus bread really really bloats me so I wanted to cut that down significantly.
    I wouldn't worry about excess fat when on a deficit - you won't be storing extra fat, so providing you keep to your goals it will be used for energy.
    Depending on your general fitness levels, excess sugar may have some MINOR risks associated. But overall it's much better to be on a deficit losing weight and eating sugar than not losing weight.
    The MFP default levels are all screwy anyway.

I would worry about protein - .1g/lb lean body weight or similar. The rest I really wouldn't stress about.

If your friend is insisting you can't eat dairy, I'm afraid I'd suggest they're an idiot and best ignored.
    I've eaten plenty of dairy since December 1st and have consistently averaged 2lb/week weight loss to the profile picture taken a few days ago (around 40lb in 20 weeks). My diary is open - you'll find plenty of food containing dairy.
    And plenty of food a 'clean' eater would runaway from.
    Today an entire block (6 portions) of 'ice cream log', a Chicken Chow Mein ready meal and a whole blob of low fat mozzarella for the Dairy. That sort of eating is common and works fine for me. I did also have some salad stuff, lb of roast beef, eggs and so on, as far as micro-nutrient dense items go. As I haven't fully transitioned to maintenance yet, I'm still losing weight eating this sort of thing!
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i dont know where she is getting her info from, now she is saying no sweet potato after 12 pm, no carbs after 12 pm. shes saying a nutritionist told her this.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    A lot of weight loss research actually says a glass of milk is helpful in weight loss. There are signs all over my gym that say that 8 ozs. of chocolate milk is the perfect recovery snack after a workout (not the same as losing weight, I know). I lost a total of over 30 lbs at one time (I am up a little from there right now but getting back down) and I never gave up dairy of any kind. I eat yogurt and cheese every single day.

So...eat what you want, pretty much. Just eat less of it. You will be fine.

and I actually think I read somewhere that dairy helps burn fat...

http://myhealingkitchen.com/medical-conditions/weight-loss/weight-loss-healing-foods/calcium-rich-dairy-trims-belly-fat/
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Try reading through this thread, noticing the tickers and physiques of many of the people posting, and then toward the end, read some of their results in the last 30 days of the Gelato/Ice Cream Cleanse... and then see if you think it is necessary to cut out dairy to have success....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1248684-30-day-gelato-ice-cream-cleanse-diet
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I eat "mostly clean" too. Though that has a wide array of definitions by different people. I limit my serving of dairy to one a day which it typically a stick of cheese because I love it so much. However, I also am doing a whey protein shake with my breakfast and that is pretty much dairy too. But I don't consume more than this, and probably shouldn't even consume this much, because I have a lactose intolerance.

I didn't get 100 pounds overweight because of dairy, or a glass of milk. But with the effects that it has on my body, and on some other peoples' bodies, I can understand cutting it out if needed. I for sure feel much better!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    If you get stuffy nosed or tummy aches from dairy, then cut it out of your diet. Otherwise, it's totally fine. Both DH and I lost our weight while enjoying plenty of dairy.

I think your issue is about weighing and measuring your food portions, not what you eat but how much you're eating. There is a lot of calories in all that fruit, and I know what a bother it can be to weigh fruit, but it really makes a difference.

Your friend is working herself into a corner of craziness with all those rules. Heading for an eating disorder. Don't follow her.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in, I'm a big dairy lover. I have lost to what equates to 80 or so pounds eating at least 4 servings of dairy a day. I have not failed losing on any single week where I had a deficit. So just keep calories in mind and you will probably do fine, dairy or not.