Eating 1200 weekdays and binge on weekends?

Options

Replies

• nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was maintaining for weeks accidentally. Lol I'd meet my goal m-f then Saturday and Sunday go over it. I'm back on track following my deficit and losing but that is gonna be my plan when I reach maintenance. On weekends I want higher calorie foods such as Chinese.

Do you feel hungry on the amount you want to eat during he week?
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people going by a weekly calorie allotment instead of daily. Giving them more calories to eat on weekends. The phone app is easier to use for keeping track of your weekly calories. I've never tried it but I'm sure it would work. Working out is also a great way to give you more wiggle room for eating.

21525558.png
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I sort of do this. During the week I aim for 1975 calories/day and on the days I go to the gym I'll be under and don't "eat back" those calories. On the days I don't go to the gym I'm usually pretty close to my calorie goal. I will go over 1975/day on the weekend and usually am at goal when I factor in my calories burned. I don't binge on the weekend, but will eat and drink more.
    This has worked for me for the period I was losing weight and now for maintenance.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience, this is exactly what I used to do a few years ago and I was the lightest I'd ever been in my adult life. Probably because I felt motivated to be healthy during the week then let go a bit at the weekend. I ate really healthily during the week, worked out 4 times and then ate out, had takeaways and had booze on the weekends. As long as you keep control over your weekend extras. All you can do is give it a go, if it doesn't work then try another method.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I do this. But...

I was actually doing 5:2 and now I do 6:1. My days are often like this:

M: 1980
    T: 600
    W: 1800
    Th: 2000
    F: 1950
    S: 3000
    S: 2200

You get the idea. Regardless, it works. I check the weekly calorie count toward the end of the week. I've been maintaining since December. If I don't do 6:1, I try to stick to maintenance everyday that week.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    sounds like ME ! hahaha!
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :noway: This is a way to fail! I am speaking from experience!. it simply isn't a healthy way to live. Love yourself. You deserve better. You can do this the right way. (sensible and healthy) You can do this!. It's not easy but you can do it! :smile:
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    :noway: This is a way to fail! I am speaking from experience!. it simply isn't a healthy way to live. Love yourself. You deserve better. You can do this the right way. (sensible and healthy) You can do this!. It's not easy but you can do it! :smile:

says who? 2600 on weekends is not a failure.

i eat roughly 1600-1900 sunday to thursday. and I eat 4000-5000 on Fri and sat.

as long as it fits your weekly calories, its all good.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes. I think it would work, but honestly why do you want to restrict yourself so much and then binge? You can try eating 1400 and save 200 from everyday. Or just eat the 1600 and you won't feel the need to binge on weekends - I promise! I'm on maintance right now (I used to eat below 1200, then eat like 2000 in one day) my maintaince is also 1600 and I don't feel the need to binge at all. It's all good
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is not binging.

And there are all kinds of reasons to do this.

Weekend warrior? Someone who has a desk job and doesn't get much exercise beyond some walking during the week then turns it on on the weekend. They will naturally need more calories on the weekend than during the week.

Social butterfly? Again, working all week with less caloric needs, then on the weekends going out drinking with friends or brunching and lunching and cocktail parties and dinners out and such? Something that's just part of one's normal social life takes up more calories. Would suck to have to be constantly denying yourself when everyone else is indulging, and be harder when you constantly have opportunities to screw yourself right in front of you. But having planned to have more calories available means cheers to that mimosa and eggs benedict. And a whole milk cappuccino besides.

And I'm sure there are other scenarios.

In all cases, knowing and planning for such things... adapting your diet (as in eating pattern for life) to your lifestyle is smart and sensible and is going to increase your chances to succeed.
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the way I am maintaining but would certainly not call it binging ! I am satisfied with the lower number of calories in the week and really enjoy the extras at the weekend. You need to find what suits you long term to maintain successfully
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I actually do a similar thing, although not so regimented. I go for an average over the week, helped by the helpful weekly graph the phone app gives you. I would say go for something less extreme than 1200 in the week and 2600 at weekends though, and maybe do it by exercising more?
  • rebalee8
    Options
    Man, I wish they would update the android version of the app. What you all have on the iOS regarding this sounds great.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    well ive managed to maintain doing this but i wouldnt eat as low as 1200 a day, i just dont eat back all my exercise calories and use them at the weekend, id eat about 1700 a day and less on the days i dont have a high calorie burn,then id easily eat 3000 cals on saturday and 2000 on sunday ...ive usually managed to stay under my weekly goal and my weight has stayed the same:):)
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish they would update the android version of the app. What you all have on the iOS regarding this sounds great.

You mean the weekly average and weekly total?
    We have that on the Android version too.
  • rebalee8
    Options

You mean the weekly average and weekly total?
    We have that on the Android version too.

The iOS app has the ability to the set the day the week begins for you, so it's not just a running total of the last seven days.

Edit: Nevermind I just realized the bar graph will give you the daily total if you touch the bar.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    just wanted to point out that 2600 calories isn't a binge.
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference between a planned weekend caloric surplus and a binge. I would consider a binge to be more eating uncontrollably, until your stomach hurts.

Yes! Two weeks prior to Easter, I was especially intentional about not going over my daily caloric allotment because I planned to eat what everyone else was having. Although my intake on that day looked nothing like it usually does, I didn't make myself sick....I just enjoyed the things I don't normally eat.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Theoretically in terms of weight, yes. Whether it is sustainable/enjoyable/works for you is only something you can find out through trying it out. Like whether such a big calorie variation works for you in the long term, or if it knocks you off kilter.

Seems kind of like 5:2 in reverse to me so don't see why it wouldn't be fine. And lots of people eat/drink more on weekends and less during the week (I mean also lots of people who don't log their food/drink intake, it's pretty normal I think especially if you drink at weekends too).

(And ignore all the people who have brought up binging/disordered eating, what you are talking about is not binging/disordered.)
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It can turn into a bad cycle! I used to eat very clean all week then eat whatever on weekends, and over eat. All depends on you goals but I could never obtain my optimal body /physique doing it. keeping it more controlled works much better for me, allow meals but dont go onfull weekend binges. You will feel guilty, crappy and your basically ruinging anything good you did all week.