Need some advice with gaining weight

Options
Hi peeps!
I need some help with gaining weight because my BMI is only 16.7 and i decided I must do something about it!
What I was dwelling about is should I first eat a lot to gain some kilos and after gain exercise, or should I workout meanwhile?
What type of home exercises would be the best (can't afford gym)?
I'd appreciate your help! :)

Replies

• iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hi peeps!
    I need some help with gaining weight because my BMI is only 16.7 and i decided I must do something about it!
    What I was dwelling about is should I first eat a lot to gain some kilos and after gain exercise, or should I workout meanwhile?

By eating a lot I think you mean eating while counting all your calories to make you are not under eating? If thats the case yes.

You might want to no more than 0.5kg per week and hit a certain number of calories every day and if you dont gain weight just add 100-200 calories every week.

For body weight exercises check this youtube channel out: https://www.youtube.com/user/MRTbootcampworkouts/videos
  • DrFlave
    DrFlave Posts: 59 Member
    Options

If you just want to put on some fat, then yes, eating a lot without exercise will accomplish that. If you want some of the weight you gain to be muscle, then eat a lot and do resistance training. There are lots of effective body weight exercises - you don't necessarily need a gym.
  • matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

If you just want to put on some fat, then yes, eating a lot without exercise will accomplish that. If you want some of the weight you gain to be muscle, then eat a lot and do resistance training. There are lots of effective body weight exercises - you don't necessarily need a gym.

I think this is pretty much true... except that I don't know that you would purely gain only fat off of an increase of calories (I say that under the assumption that you do at least SOME kind of activity throughout your day).

other than that what the previous two posters said is really what I would say too
  • Maky20
    Maky20 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi peeps!

By eating a lot I think you mean eating while counting all your calories to make you are not under eating? If thats the case yes.

You might want to no more than 0.5kg per week and hit a certain number of calories every day and if you dont gain weight just add 100-200 calories every week.

For body weight exercises check this youtube channel out: https://www.youtube.com/user/MRTbootcampworkouts/videos
    Yes that's exactly what I meant! 0.5 kg per week sounds just right for me. The reason why I am asking that is because i find it quite hard to reach over 2000 calories I just feel so full and its real drag to eat more. And Im worried if I workout Im gonna lose inputted calories and won't be able to get them back.
    I will deffinitely check out that yt channel. Thank you!
  • Maky20
    Options

I think this is pretty much true... except that I don't know that you would purely gain only fat off of an increase of calories (I say that under the assumption that you do at least SOME kind of activity throughout your day).

other than that what the previous two posters said is really what I would say too
    I deffinitely don't want fat I just tought when I gain 2 kilos for example then start doing some intermediate workout.
    And of course I wouldn't just sit all day and eat there is always walking, slight exercise..
    Thank you very much, every advice is usefull!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you start weight training and do it like you're supposed to - hard, but not quite at your maximum - your appetite will increase. Since you're looking to do a relatively slow weight gain, you should have no trouble eating enough by the time you're a couple of weeks into it.

In the meantime, drink some of your calories and that'll help you get them in without filling you up as much.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You said your BMI is 16.7, right? That's pretty underweight. Is there a reason you got down so low? I'm absolutely not saying that you necessarily have/had an eating disorder just based on your BMI. There's every chance that you are healthy but underweight and just need to gain -- if that's the case, people here have given you very good advice.

However, if there's another reason your weight got down so low, please realize that exercise can be really dangerous while you're recovering. In that case, you're not just putting on fat and muscle -- you're repairing damage to your bones and organs as well. The "standard" weight gain recommendations wouldn't apply. If you are in this situation, your original plan -- rest, recover and eat -- is absolutely the best thing you can do for yourself. I hope I'm dead wrong in thinking there might be something else going on, but if I'm not, please be careful and take care of yourself.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Add calories slowly until you reach your calorie goal. Homemade "weight gain" drinks can help. Here is just an example

Milk (any type even almond)
    protein powder
    banana or any other fruit
    PB, almond or cashew butter
    Depending on what type of milk you use and and how much, this will give you 500 to around 1000 calories.

Also consume calorie dense foods such as nuts, avocados, dried fruit and even poptarts.
  • Maky20
    Options
    @AliceDark - there is no particular reason why I`m underweight (at least I think so), the thing is that I have always been the smallest, skinniest.. but I feel completely healthy, I`m even stronger from some people that are heavier than me haha. I can`t even remember when was the last time I saw my doctor. Thank you for pointing it out and for your concern!
    Guys thank you so much you definitely helped me. I will listen to you no doubt there.
    This weight training seems pretty challenging so I`m definitely gonna try it .
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Add calories slowly until you reach your calorie goal. Homemade "weight gain" drinks can help. Here is just an example

Milk (any type even almond)
    protein powder
    banana or any other fruit
    PB, almond or cashew butter
    Depending on what type of milk you use and and how much, this will give you 500 to around 1000 calories.

Also consume calorie dense foods such as nuts, avocados, dried fruit and even poptarts.
    this!

i have this:
    350ml milk (whole milk)
    1 scoop Protein (25g)
    3 scoops porridge oats
    1 banana
    1 tbsp Flax
    Blend it up and neck it!
    You have room to improvise here, add more milk if you find that's to thick for you, you could throw in a tbsp of olive oil, or Udos oil. Add more oats. Add Ice Cream. Whatever!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1. Avoid cardio - it burns both fat and muscle. In your case no-go.
    2. Open your diary, log all your food and find friends who can hold you accountable. You can add me, if you like.
    3. Try to up your calories as much as you can. Eat high calorie food: peanut butter, olive oil, avocado, full fat products, potato, whole wheat... look here: http://loveisnotaboutgender.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/50-high-calorie-foods-get-fat-fast/
    If you can not eat it - drink it! Make yourself healthy shakes or smoothies with some protein powder.
    4. Do body wight exercises, like squats, lounges, crunches, plank... or use medium weight barbells, dumbbells, kettlebell or anything else you have. No heavy lifting, it burns tons of calories you can not afford with your BMI.

Good luck!
  • Heartshapedbox93
    Options
    Well when i had to gain weight i ate a combination of healthy and junk food. For a month i ate a lot of whole eggs, bread, bagels, pasta, peanut butter, and almounds. I also ate canned tuna for a lot of protien. And every one in a while i would eat pop tarts which arent good for you but they are goof for gaining weight. Just eat healthy calorie dense foods and occasionally indulge in junk food. As for exercising i dont really recommend it because it burns fat and calories, so just take a break from exercising until you gain all the weight you need. If you are having trouble eating enougg calories, there are meal replacement shakes such as Ensure which can help you gain weight.

EDIT: sorry for the bad spelling
  • Maky20
    Options
    Well when i had to gain weight i ate a combination of healthy and junk food. For a month i ate a lot of whole eggs, bread, bagels, pasta, peanut butter, and almounds. I also ate canned tuna for a lot of protien. And every one in a while i would eat pop tarts which arent good for you but they are goof for gaining weight. Just eat healthy calorie dense foods and occasionally indulge in junk food. As for exercising i dont really recommend it because it burns fat and calories, so just take a break from exercising until you gain all the weight you need. If you are having trouble eating enougg calories, there are meal replacement shakes such as Ensure which can help you gain weight.

I was with you 100% until you said don't exercise. That's just not a good idea. You should have stopped while you were ahead. Have someone gain weight and not lift weights at all, your basically suggested they just add straight fat.
    i'm sure he/she didn't mean anything bad with that considering my BMI. Everyones advice (since it's from heart) is appreciated. I agree with you that exercise is necessary and after all we feel much better after doing something for ourselves right?
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    Exercise is necessary with your weight gain not only because you will put on good weight tone and mucles, but also because it's gonna caudse you to go crazy hungry !! i recommend lifting first but also cardio or high intensity, as long as you don't starve youself every phisical activity it's gonna amp up your capability to eat tons of food and with no regrets!
  • Maky20
    Options
    Exercise is necessary with your weight gain not only because you will put on good weight tone and mucles, but also because it's gonna caudse you to go crazy hungry !! i recommend lifting first but also cardio or high intensity, as long as you don't starve youself every phisical activity it's gonna amp up your capability to eat tons of food and with no regrets!
    Hey thanks for support! That's what I wanted to hear. I'm starting slowly so I don't put too much preasure on myself. I really hope it's gonna work!
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Here is my advice. I was once a hard-gainer, too, and I had some hard times trying to gain. Believe me when I tell you that exercise is NOT your primary concern here. You need to do three things.

Eat, eat, and EAT!

When I say eat, I'm telling you that you need to consume more calories than your daily caloric intake. Also, you need to eat right. Nutrition is going to help you. As long as you are eating 5-6 meals per day, and including vitamins and supplements, you should be able to gain muscle with exercise.

It doesn't matter how much time you spend in the gym, or how hard you train, if you are not eating right. At least five meals per day, vitamins and supplements, and exercise, and you are good.
  • Heartshapedbox93
    Options

I was with you 100% until you said don't exercise. That's just not a good idea. You should have stopped while you were ahead. Have someone gain weight and not lift weights at all, your basically suggested they just add straight fat.

Yea i understand what your saying i didny really think about lifting weights. For me when i had to gain weight i had enough muscle just not enough fat. I get what youre saying though. What i meant by not exercising was dont do intense cardio that burns a ton of calories and fat.
  • Heartshapedbox93
    Options
    You said your BMI is 16.7, right? That's pretty underweight. Is there a reason you got down so low? I'm absolutely not saying that you necessarily have/had an eating disorder just based on your BMI. There's every chance that you are healthy but underweight and just need to gain -- if that's the case, people here have given you very good advice.

However, if there's another reason your weight got down so low, please realize that exercise can be really dangerous while you're recovering. In that case, you're not just putting on fat and muscle -- you're repairing damage to your bones and organs as well. The "standard" weight gain recommendations wouldn't apply. If you are in this situation, your original plan -- rest, recover and eat -- is absolutely the best thing you can do for yourself. I hope I'm dead wrong in thinking there might be something else going on, but if I'm not, please be careful and take care of yourself.

YES this is why i suggested not exercising because when you are that underweight your body needs all the nutrition it.can get.