Recent Struggles - How to Change Your Attitude

Options

Replies

• ScottG_9905
    ScottG_9905 Posts: 46
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone! Wow it is a bit quite around here the past few days! We need to change that people! The only way we stay on the path is if we are consistently logging in and supporting the team! I am finally feeling human now that most of the drugs have run its coarse however still have some lingering stomach issues. I just love what pain meds do to me.. :smile:

We have had some crazy weather over the past few days and I lost one of my trees due to high winds yesterday in a massive storm that hit us. So no getting out and walking for me. I am going to try and get a couple blocks in here in just a few minutes to see how my hip holds up. Right now feeling really good and my pain is minimal.

JerseySandy: I hope all the testing comes back with the results you guys are praying for! Will keep you guys in our thoughts and prayers! I cannot wait until I can get back to working out my stress with some good workouts. I miss being able to blow off the steam with a good session. I have a good buddy of mine who lost over 100lbs using P90X and MFP to track his foods. Truly inspiring stuff!

I hope to see more people stepping back in and commenting.

DIG DEEP TEAM!

-Scott
  • rocketblaster
    rocketblaster Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm just new to the team but happy to add support as I can. Getting back to logging and hoping that this will start the losses again, although happily I've maintained while on hiatus (mostly due to wicked work/travel schedule where I wasn't prepping my own eats).

Just started learning to "run" this year, into week 6 and tomorrow we are running 5 and walking 1 - eeep. I know it's only an extra minute but feels a bit intimidating. It does feel fantastic every time we are done however. I hope that you are all having a super day!
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Good Morning Team!

I have to say I am pretty happy this morning. Another day down with minimal pain and starting off today really good! I have to hold myself accountable as my diet has been off since my set back. The wife and I discussed yesterday that we will get back on track with things this week and make sure we are prepared in case of another set back. It is crazy how easily you can just stop when you get plowed over by things like this. Just goes to show you we are all human and we make mistakes sometimes daily. We just have to figure out a way to break the cycle and get back to where we need to be heading. I refuse to beat myself up on mistakes I make and I hope that you will do the same. Don't give yourself and easy out but make sure you give yourself enough support that you can get back on the wagon!

Today the whole family started off with their favorite shakes. My daughter is a strawberry fanatic so her favorite is Strawberry Shakeology and OJ. My wife and son had Vegan Chocolate and 2% and I had a Vegan Chocolate with Coconut milk. Super tasty and filled with dense nutrients. So we all started the day off right today!

Today is going to be a really nice day so I am going to try and take off early and spend some time with the dogs and walk them good!

rocketblaster: Good to hear that you have maintained while away. Nice job on the running I know how hard that is to pick up. I started a few years back when a buddy of mine talked me into doing a mini triathlon. WOW was that a wake-up call... LOL! Great job and keep up the good work!

MAKE TODAY AWESOME TEAM! MAKE THE CHOICE TO BE POSITIVE NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!

-Scott
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Just thought I'd chip in whilst in the middle of a 6week bender (so far), had shoulder surgery 6weeks ago and haven't been able to exercise since and due to that and being homebound I've just eaten.
  • Addylouise
    Addylouise Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    HELP!!!!!! I'm craving carbs like crazy I just ate some potato chips and it wasn't just one serving what can I do to get rid of this craving? I'm headed outside now to push mow my grass to work some of this off, I have a big yard Please give me some ideas what works for you?
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Good Morning Team!

Starting to have a little more pain in my back but the hip is holding up great so far! Going to try and get my apt moved up with the doc so we can schedule a surgeon to get to work and get this thing cleaned up and then we can go back to working on the back if needed! I am thinking most of my pain will go away once they get the hip fixed correctly.

Had a 80% good nutrition day yesterday! We have ran out of food at the house so the wife and I will be hitting up the store today and get our plan back in place. I will start logging my foods again this week as well. I really have dropped the ball on that and need to do it consistently so it becomes a habit!

Did get some walking in yesterday and a little extra as I had to move some things around the garage. No squatting or big bends but still got some good activity in.

Addylouise: The best thing that I can do when I start to have a cravings collapse is to GET OUT! I drink a glass of water and take a short walk around the block or get active with something. The water will help your stomach do something while the activity will take your mind off of what you are craving. This is hard at first but try your best to just go when then this happens! It really works!

EdTheGinge: I know what you are going through! The one thing you can do with a shoulder injury is that you can work the lower body and abs! Don't let the upper body take you completely out of the game!

DIG DEEP TEAM!

-Scott
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Each day I have been able to do a little more and more.. I know I have a long way before I can get back to full blown working out but it is nice to be able to do something without crazy pain flaring up. So pretty happy about what I am seeing with this latest treatment! So going to walk the dogs and then go do a little work in the yard with the kids and enjoy some of this nice weather.

Heading to the store later today to get our foods for the next week. Will begin posting my food diary again. This is one of my struggle spots. I do good at posting for a week or so then fade out on my daily food posting. If you see me miss a day call me out I need to make sure I am posting this every day.

I hope to see more people get back to posting. I am going to start sending messages later today to those of you that have friend-ed me to try and get you back engaged with the group. We started off strong but it fizzled out way to fast.

NO EXCUSES TEAM LETS DO THIS!

-Scott
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Today is going to be a bit challenging for me. I started a 3 day cleanse to kick start some weight loss and head into the holiday weekend on a positive note. I have doing ok with nutrition but still not spot on. We are looking at new recipes that are thyroid friendly and will be posting them real soon.

I was speaking with an old friend and accountability partner today. Letting him know how far I have slipped into some bad habits and he basically told me what I needed to hear. I just have to do it. I have strong will power when I put the effort in.

Today will get a couple miles in walking as I am still having some good progress with my hip. Have some pain but minimal so that is really good for me.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Hey Scott, even the best of us will slip from time to time. Where the difference lies is what we choose to do once we have realized we have slipped. I know you are back on top of it, so no worries there. Just keep your head up, doing what you do, and you will come out on top.
    Today is going to be a bit challenging for me. I started a 3 day cleanse to kick start some weight loss and head into the holiday weekend on a positive note. I have doing ok with nutrition but still not spot on. We are looking at new recipes that are thyroid friendly and will be posting them real soon.

I was speaking with an old friend and accountability partner today. Letting him know how far I have slipped into some bad habits and he basically told me what I needed to hear. I just have to do it. I have strong will power when I put the effort in.

Today will get a couple miles in walking as I am still having some good progress with my hip. Have some pain but minimal so that is really good for me.
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hope there is room for a late arrival:

My name is Brian and I live in Maryland. Actually joined this website yesterday and currently in contact weekly with a nutrition case manager and she suggested this site. I saw this thread and I would love to contribute and be apart of this awesome thread. I have struggled with weight gain for most of my life. Iam 45 yrs old and the doctor says that I have to change things cause Iam border line diabetic, my cholestrol is up a little and my weight also. Its frustrating cause I was doing really well with working out when I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Embollisms. I was in the hospital for a week and a half and had to take it easy for a good while until my blood clots dissolved. Thankfully Iam off my blood thinner and my clots are cleared up for a year now. Now I have to get back into the weight loss thing for my health and try to stay on it. I struggle cause I do get hungry at night and its tough to kick the cravings. Sorry I rambled on but just thought Id say hi and hope that I can be a part of your group :)
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Good Morning Team,

Well day 1 of my 3 day cleanse in the books! I am down 2lbs and feeling pretty good. I posted it all in my food journey if you want to see what I did. I drank a ton of water to help with any cravings and really didn't have any until right before I went to bed so I just hit the sack .. LOL! When all else fails run away... LOL.

I got a few miles of walking in but the hip is starting to flare up little by little as the meds are starting to wear off. But not going to let that hold me back I am committed to getting back to where I need to be.

Brain: Welcome to the team! Sounds like you had a bit of a scary ride brother. All it takes is just starting up again and your body will quickly respond to the workouts. I find the working out the easy part but the nutrition is where most people including myself seem to struggle. I am glad you joined the group and looking forward to working together!

LETS DO THIS TEAM!

-Scott
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott. I too have hypothyroidism, was diagnosed in 1994. I don't go to the doctor too often (dumb I know) but do take a daily thyroid pill. I have no idea where my levels are but if they get too high, meaning need more thyroid hormone, I get horrible heart palpitations,so I figure I am where I need to be on medications. I never figured in my whaleness on my thyroid, but I have never any energy, but I attribute that to my job and how I work nights and sleep during the day, and my back pain. I was never really heavy until past 3 or 4 years, and although not huge, I feel huge and need to change it.

The back pain is so bad though it is hard to even stand in the shower, so hoping losing 20 pounds or so will allow me to move.

Good luck to you.
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    KayJaMike: There are many side effects of hypothyroidism and some of use suffer more than others. I seem to have a lot of symptoms that my daily meds do not take care of but have a few things I do that really help with energy levels and the roller coaster ride of issues that are caused by it. I totally can relate to the way you feel and hope that this group can help you over come a few things to get you closer to where you want and need to be! Nutrition and exercise is a key for us if we do the things we need to do in this area we can feel a whole lot better.

Reach out to me if you need anything at all...

-Scott
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott,

I had managed to lose close to 30# and gained back almost half of it. Through all of it, I tried to keep logging, although there were MANY days when I only logged breakfast, and tried to tell myself that I wasn't eating that much. I finally contacted a dietician and a counselor who are beginning to put some sanity back in my life. I was told DO NOT GIVE UP, and don't try to be perfect, just try to make progress.
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Hey Sharon

Indeed that is great advice! We are all going to make mistakes and if we don't quite make it today do your best tomorrow. The key is to not beat yourself up and move forward. I like to call it failing forward! As we gain more and more confidence we will do better and better with our goals. Thanks for the post and I hope to see more post from you!

-Scott
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks Scott:

Glad Iam part of this group and will try and check in daily. I appeciate the encouraging chat and am going to try and get back into my routine. I feel I have been given a second chance after my blood clots and I think its about time to strive to take advantage of it. Lets go Team Scott :)
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    Day 2 of my Shakeology 3 Day cleanse in the books. I will weigh in the morning to see how much more progress I have made. I really stayed hydrated today and I feel excellent. Now time to go spend some time with my son and get outside.

Just finished up my food diary for the day! I hope everyone has done the same, it really can make a difference when trying to lose weight or learn how to eat properly.

Brian: I am really glad you are part of this group too. We can do this man and I can't wait to see you back on your routine and CRUSHING IT!

NO EXCUSES TEAM! LETS DIG DEEP!

-Scott
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    HELP!!!!!! I'm craving carbs like crazy I just ate some potato chips and it wasn't just one serving what can I do to get rid of this craving? I'm headed outside now to push mow my grass to work some of this off, I have a big yard Please give me some ideas what works for you?

How do you know what you are craving? I know that sounds stupid, but for me, if I am craving something, it is just food, something to actually bite into, something to do with my mouth. So, how does your mind know what your body wants?
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    GOOD MORNING TEAM!

So I just started Day 3 of my 3 Day Shakeology Cleanse. Hoped on the scale and down 5 lbs and my energy is through the roof. I am feeling really good and like yesterday I am feeling the good benefits from the cleanse. Although it is a calorie deficit cleanse I am still getting tons of dense nutrition in from the Shakeology so that is where all of my energy is coming from. We will see how today pans out but I think it will be a good one.

HOLIDAY WEEKEND:

Team you have a choice to make today. The holiday weekend is fast approaching and this is where most people fall off the wagon and let their guard down. I want to challenge you to stand your ground and stick to healthy alternatives this holiday weekend. I know we will be hosting a BBQ and attending one so there are going to be temptations galore. But I am not worried because I have a plan in place to combat these temptations. So today start planning your weekend so you are prepared for whatever may come up.

My wife went to the store yesterday and loaded up on some chicken and fish and veggies. So we will have the staples down and we are not going to partake in the normal hot dogs and burgers that most holiday weekends tend to have. Not saying they wont be there but we will be eating a better alternative. Next there are lots of drinks and cocktails that will be flowing but I will pass this weekend. I am in the middle of trying to lose weight and alcohol is just not an option as it can lead to major collapse in your nutrition if you have one to many. Some of you may want to have a few drinks and if so please keep it in moderation and remember why you are here. Having a few to many can really derail any progress you have made.

Simple Tips To Combat The Holiday Weekend:
    - Eat small healthy meal before attending a BBQ or party
    - Drink lots of water
    - If you start to have a feeding frenzy .. GET OUT!!! Drink some water and go for a short walk
    - Bring your own food
    - Moderation
    - Reach out for help (Come here and post)

These simple tips can really keep you on the right path to success! I have used them many times and they have saved my butt on many occasions!

I would really like to hear what everyone has planned for the weekend so we can make sure everyone on our team is setting themselves up for success.

-Scott
  • ScottG_9905
    Options
    KayJaMikel: This was a tough one for me to figure out on my own. So here is what works for me when my body starts to tell me things. So you might have to play around and document how you feel after you have a craving and you eat something document how you feel 20 to 30 minutes later and that can tell you a lot. This can help you train your brain on how to react when you have cravings.

I find that if I am having serious cravings (not for a particular thing) I am not getting enough protein. This can lead into a feeding frenzy because your body wants something but you are just reaching for whatever you can find. Usually bad carb heavy foods. Then we tend to go back again and again reaching for something else and before we know it we have eatten 4k calories of junk!

Keep in mind what I post below is how I feel. It may be different for you but this will be a good time for you to experiment with foods during these times and find out what foods help and what foods hinder. This is a guide line to start as I am not expert for sure but it has helped me identify what is going on with me.

Lack of Protein:
    - If I am overly tired and want to nap in the middle of the day
    - your weak during exercise
    - non-specific cravings

Lack of Good Carbs from Fruit and Veggies
    Stomach Issues:
    - feeling backed up this is a good indicator that we are not getting enough fruits and veggies

Also you might want to try looking at your Macro Nutrients from your food journal. To kick start your weight loss try to be in a 50:30:20 (protein,carb,healthy fat) ratio. This is known as a fat shredder ratio and will help you burn more fat. So make sure you are adding your foods daily so you can keep an eye on this and identify any problem areas in your diet!

I hope this helps.. If not let me know
    -Scott