Exercise with a poor diet

Options
Can body fat still be lost with a poor diet if you exercise? I hear that if you have a poor diet exercising is a waste of time cause you need a healthy diet to get rid of body fat. But then I hear that as long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose body fat no matter what you eat.

I'm asking this because I really hate the taste of a lot of things that people would consider to be healthy (E.g vegetables and salads) and I don't want to eat anything that I find distasteful

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    a calorie deficet creates the weight loss...

fat loss <> weight loss...

weight loss can be fat loss and/or muscle loss.

You don't need to eat just veggies etc to lose weight you need a calorie deficet...if you find food distasteful don't eat it...but chose alternatives that help you meet your calorie deficet for weight loss and your macro/micro nutrients for health.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can body fat still be lost with a poor diet if you exercise? I hear that if you have a poor diet exercising is a waste of time cause you need a healthy diet to get rid of body fat. But then I hear that as long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose body fat no matter what you eat.

I'm asking this because I really hate the taste of a lot of things that people would consider to be healthy (E.g vegetables and salads) and I don't want to eat anything that I find distasteful

Weight loss will not be fat specific. Exercise will not be fat specific. But, there are steps you can take to minimize muscle loss.

You can eat less of whatever you want to lose weight. Keeping the weight off may be the hard part though. The (new) smaller you will always need fewer calories to maintain your weight. This is where low calorie foods (veggies) come in handy....but you can eat small portions forever too...no problem.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Depends on what you mean by a poor diet.
    Poor diet meaning more calories eaten then you burn in exercise? Yeah, that is worthless.
    Poor diet but eating calorie deficient? It will work, but you may not always feel the greatest by not getting the nutrients you ened if you are eating junk food
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    Look up Flexible Dieting, or the If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) method on this. Basically, as long as you're in a deficit and hit your macros, you can still reach your fitness goals. You can eat whatever you please, but portion control is key.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If you keep your protein levels up by eating lots of meat, you will maintain your muscle mass (strength training will help, too), even if you eat ****e.