Still having trouble eating breakfast

Options
I've never been overweight but have been known to put on a few and take the weight off again. The only time I ever want to eat breakfast is when I'm dieting and genuinely wake up hungry. Now that I'm eating normally again, I don't feel like eating breakfast. I will make a breakfast and never finish it.

It was the same when I was doing a manual labour job and eating more than 3200 calories a day. Still couldn't eat breakfast, though I would usually start eating by 8AM (I woke up at 5:00 and started work at 6:30).

I can barely get in a piece of toast most mornings. I've always been an active person and burn 2300 to 2600 calories a day under normal circumstances (5'6" 135 lbs.).

I always eat by 9AM or so, but never when I get up at 6AM.

Is it really such a bad thing to not eat breakfast?

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

Nope.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Nope.
    +1.

I am rarely hungry first thing in the morning, so I don't eat til I am.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to eat right away when you get up. For me, breakfast is what I eat before noon, and the precise timing doesn't matter. Before making an effort to lose weight, I also was never hungry in the morning-- I wouldn't eat until 10 or 11 am, unless I hadn't slept enough the night before and needed food to stay alert (which is what happened in college and again in grad school, and that coupled with little exercise is what made me gain weight). Like you, while dieting I am hungry for breakfast. . . but I suspect once I'm maintaining I'll be less hungry in the morning.

Basically, if you're not hungry, don't eat! If you begin to notice that not eating breakfast leads you to be hungrier and eat excessively later in the day, you'll know that you'll need to change something.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    9am still counts as breakfast to me, but if you really want to have something when you get up why not make yourself a smoothie, I find liquid breakfast easier on some days.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    Whatever time of day you get up and whatever time of day you eat, the first thing you put in your face is your breakfast, it has broken the fast, so it is impossible to avoid eating breakfast.

What time you eat in relation to you what time you wake up is entirely a personal choice.... if you can go hours without eating, after waking then that's fine, if you need to eat straight away, that too is fine....

xXx
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I just have some Greek yogurt with granola at my desk while I'm checking the email in the morning. Along with the coffee and maybe tea that's it. But if I don't eat something my blood sugar will crash and then I'm useless. If you don't have that problem then I guess you don't need "breakfast."
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    9 AM is fine for breakfast. I think when the experts stress the importance of eating breakfast it's as opposed to not eating anything till lunch time (or later). For a lot of people, this would cause them to overeat once they do eat because you are so hungry. I think that's why eating breakfast is viewed as so important. Eating when you are actually hungry is probably more important though. There isn't really a reason why you have to eat first thing. Some people say it gets your metabolism jump started, but others disagree with this totally so I doubt it makes any significant difference or there would be a clearer answer.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The National Weight Control Registry
    Brown Medical School/The Miriam Hospital
    Weight Control & Diabetes Research Center
    196 Richmond Street, Providence, RI 02903
    Phone: 1-800-606-NWCR (6927)
    E-Mail: tmnwcr@lifespan.org

http://www.nwcr.ws/research/

Quote "Registry members have lost an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for 5.5 years.
    These averages, however, hide a lot of diversity:
    Weight losses have ranged from 30 to 300 lbs.
    Duration of successful weight loss has ranged from 1 year to 66 years!
    Some have lost the weight rapidly, while others have lost weight very slowly--over as many as 14 years."

Quote "There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
    75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
    62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
    90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day."

Breakfast is important but it doesn't have to be immediately after you wake up. Just wondering if you are a late evening eater/snacker?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is your first meal of the day - it doesn't have to be right after you wake up, it can be several hours after.

I'm the same way. If i eat as soon as I get up, especially conventional high carb breakfast items, I'll be hungry again a couple hours later so why waste the calories when I'm not even hungry? I'll have coffee first thing but usually don't eat a meal until after 8am.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people find that breakfast increases their mood and concentration in the mornings. Others report the opposite. Some people who eat breakfast find it easier to control their hunger throughout the day. Others find that breakfast makes them hungrier all day. Unless you have a medical condition that would dictate how you should eat, meal timing won't affect your weight loss. You should choose whichever method gives you the best mood, gym performance, and satiation level throughout the day.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I eat breakfast every morning (now) because if I skip it I overeat at dinner and wind up eating more calories than I should.

I never ate breakfast when I was young and thin and could eat anything.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry after I wake up---whether it be from ten hours of sleep or a nap.

I find the following:
    -If I don't eat breakfast, and just have coffee or something, I'm good. I will eat more later in the day when I'm actually hungry, which is when I should be eating---why should I force myself/train my body to learn to eat when I'm absolutely not hungry?
    -If I force myself to eat breakfast, I find I get hungrier earlier on and I end up eating even more than I had planned for the day.

Do what works for you.