Bloating..about HAD it..

Options
I am in need of some advice..I seem to bloat after EVERY meal. At first I thought it was just certain foods..but lately its been almost ANYTHING I eat. Ive tried alot of OTC Gas meds..Beano, generic beano and Gas X..with some success here and there..but nothing that aleviates it.

I get tired of it..morning I wake up feeling great and by night my belly is bloated and I feel ick. My diary is open..I truly dont think its the actual food Im eating..as a whole. Does anyone deal with this? Remedies?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lowering carbs can lower the bloating feeling for some. But are you sure you aren't confusing full with bloating?
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Have you tried systematically looking for food intolerances? Eliminating all dairy for a week, reintroducing. Then gluten, etc? If it's a food sensitivity, systematic elimination would help you figure it out.
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    mabey I am..:(
    I already eat below my pre determined goal for carbs..

My husband feels I may be confused..but sometimes the bloating is accompanyed with gas..I am constantly burping. Ive tried slowing down when I eat too..in the assumption mabey Im inhaling air?
  • chmtastic
    chmtastic Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have you tried systematically looking for food intolerances? Eliminating all dairy for a week, reintroducing. Then gluten, etc? If it's a food sensitivity, systematic elimination would help you figure it out.

^this....maybe it's the flaxseed?
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Mabey I need too..

I even entertained the thought of it being the dairy..but I really dont feel the most icky til about 2:30..and I generally have dairy in the AM (milk) and then when I get home (a greek yogurt)..

Guess Ill cut out flaxseed and see if that helps..wonder how long it takes to see a difference if thats what it is?

I need to go to the doctor anyway (I have this HUGE bruise on my thigh that wont go away..hubby is worried Im going to get blood posioning)..so perhaps Ill take to the doc about it.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Maybe not just eat more slowly but really masticate the food.
  • diggerjcb1966
    Options
    That used to happen to me constantly and then I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome a year ago. I just had to keep a food diary (like we do on here) and try and pinpoint what set me off. I have real issues with vegetable soup, especially when it's pureed; I changed to lactose free milk for 6 months and that helped a lot (I am back on normal stuff now); tea has been another issue (I LOVE tea and drink far too much!), so I switched to peppermint and limit myself to two cups of 'normal' tea a day. Stress is a huge factor for me too, so I really need to be aware of when I am in a stressful situation and remove myself from it where possible.
    I hope your doctor can help. Good luck.:smile:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's the dairy too (milk and the yogurt). Almond and coconut milk are good alternatives.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    oh I am afraid its the dairy!..:(

I love my morning milk and my yogurt..:(
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Milk in the morning does this to me too, although not as extreme. I don't have breakfast cereals anymore as a result, but I still have about 1/2 cup of milk spread out over the day.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have ibs and dairy always sets me off. I drink almond milk now. I will have pizza on occassion but not alot.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Just read this the other day and thought it might help! http://bit.ly/1mwMhhg It's from Women's Health magazine--food combos that cause bloating.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i could have written this post...in fact, i think i have written one very similar. i even went to two doctors regarding the bloating. my stomach would start out flat (or flat-ish), and by the end of the day I looked 9 months pregnant. both doctors suggested either gluten or dairy to be the culprit. I stopped the dairy. well, actually, i would still eat some items containing cheese, but eliminated the big milk items (like yogurt). i switched to almond milk to get my calcium in. I scaled down on gluten but didn't eliminate it completely. it worked! now if i can just cut out the sugarless gum by the pack....(bloat city).
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I eat dairy, Even if I take lactaid I still become bloated by the end of the day.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    That is exactly the issue i had, found out it was dairy, i was soooo sad to give up my milk, booo.
    I am used to it now, still have a little bit every once in a while but for the most part now that dairy is mostly out of my diet I am excellent!
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've actually found taking a daily probiotic helps me with feeling gassy/bloaty. You might try that. :)
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    Thanks so much folks! I did not have the flaxseed yesterday..still had my morning milk, an afternoon greek yogurt and actually had a string cheese for a snack about 5:30..

I did not feel AS bloated..but I did bloat abit early afternoon..hmm..

I may get some lactaid and see if it helps. Growing up I was never a big milk drinker..I like to mix the milk with my protein powder in the AM..Im wondering, if it is the dairy, what my options are? obviously cant mix yogurt (if its dairy!)..mabey some mashed bananas and ice? (looking for options outside of almond milk)
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much folks! I did not have the flaxseed yesterday..still had my morning milk, an afternoon greek yogurt and actually had a string cheese for a snack about 5:30..

I did not feel AS bloated..but I did bloat abit early afternoon..hmm..

I may get some lactaid and see if it helps. Growing up I was never a big milk drinker..I like to mix the milk with my protein powder in the AM..Im wondering, if it is the dairy, what my options are? obviously cant mix yogurt (if its dairy!)..mabey some mashed bananas and ice? (looking for options outside of almond milk)

My husband is lactose intolerant and buys the Lactaid brand products....milk, ice cream, etc. I can't taste the difference. Breyers also makes a lactose free ice cream that is good.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Could be dairy, but it could also be that your body is adjusting to a higher intake of fiber! When I first started out that made me very bloated and gassy, it will pass as your body adjusts.
  • mistyloveslife
    mistyloveslife Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have this issue when I consume protien shakes. Kelloggs shakes don't do it as bad but the powder shakes do it every single time. I've tried them with water and almond milk and both ways causes bloating/gas. That might be something to cut for a couple days to see if it helps. Good luck!