Picking a protien

Options
So ive been having trouble getting my carb/protein/fat split right so I was thinking about protein shakes. I have tried using Whey isolate before but didn't get on with it very well. I have been looking at the maxitone products as from what i have read they seem to be the easiest to mix/drink. I am looking to tone up an gain some muscle but am not sure which of their product would be best. Any advice would be gratefully received!!

Replies

• beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Vixx, what brand did you use before? What was the issue? Poor taste, trouble mixing, digestion?

If it's digestion, check the ingredients. Some protein powders add soy protein because it's a cheaper ingredient. Soy can be difficult to digest.

Optimum Gold is really good. It costs about $60 U.S. for a 5 pound tub. I use BSN Syntha-6 which is also very good.

If you're looking for a ready to drink shake, I really like my daily Muscle Milks. Across the pond, they cost about $3.50.

You may be able to save some money by checking prices on Amazon.com or Bodybuilding.com.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard proteins. I currently have the Cake Batter and Banana Creme flavors. Their chocolate varieties aren't half bad, either (I'm not a vanilla fan so I never buy vanilla). They're relatively low in calories, sugars and carbs. Some protein powders are meant for bulking, so watch calories. It's easy to accidentally grab one that packs in 200-240 calories.
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys it was more of a taste/texture thing no matter how I mixed it it just tasted gross!!! will have a look at those an will make sure I dont get a bulking one had not thought of that before!! could have been interesting!!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Well, being cheap I like the Body Fortress 100% Whey ($19.00 or so for a 2 lb? tub). I like the vanilla over the chocolate as I can drink it just mixed with water but with the chocolate I have to mix something in. I also use GNC varieties but they are pricey and don't have as much protein as the Body Fortress.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my first question is why is your protien so high? 172grams is a lot...

typically 1 gram of protien for every pound of LBM is sufficent esp since you only lift for appx 20-25mins a week.

I can easily get in 130 a day without protien powders/bars, I just choose lean protiens, low fat cheese, greek yogurt, skim milk etc.
  • vixx1405
    Options
    I have no idea that's just what MFP put it at for me! If that's high any idea what it should be as im totally clueless (didn't even know it was high)
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Vixx,

I should have noticed your protein setting before. It looks like you have your macros set to 40% protein, 25% fat and 35% carbs. I would recommend dialing the protein back to 25-30%. The fat can stay at 25 or go up to 30 and make the rest carbs. I have mine at 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs.

As far as taste, you may not like very many powder options if only mixed with water.

You may want to try a few protein bars. You can buy single bars and see how they taste. A bar with 15-20 grams of protein could be a good addition to your diet. There may be a bit of a trade off between taste and sugar content. If the first protein in the ingredients is soy, you may be overpaying for a cheaply made bar. I recommend Think Thin or Pure Protein bars.

Generally, the powders provide better health benefits, but bars are convenient and less expensive than the ready to drink protein shakes.

Sezxy Stef's suggestions of low fat cheese, greek yogurt and skim milk are also good options.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Once you have your macros picked out, I totally recommend Kaizen Natural Whey Isolate. Vanilla and Chocolate are both delicious.
  • vixx1405
    Options
    Have reset my macro nutrients my split is still not right but with the shakes an advice it seems manageable now Thanks everyone!!