Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can I swim instead of lifting weights...

at least to start with, I've tried lifting before and it bores me :( I used to be a awesome surfer/scuba diver when travelling and would like to get back into it this summer.....would swimming help me gain muscle and tone up the way lifting might do?

Thanks

Replies

• karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Sure, swimming is great! But eventually you will want to start lifting. If it bores you, try doing Strong Lifts (5x5). It's 3 exercises 3 days a week (5 sets and 5 reps of each).

It's heavy lifting, but it's over quick and you'll see great results.

For more info, just google Strong Lifts 5x5. It's free too!
  • ...free...already sounds more appealing :)
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    I dont know, can you?

There is no be all end all to getting into shape. If you prefer swimming to lifting, then you should swim.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Start with what makes you happy. Swimming is great cardio, and can definetly help build nice lean muscle. I'm personally mixing things up with a little of everything.
    30m swim/water aerobics, 30-45m weights, 30m standard cardio.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    at least to start with, I've tried lifting before and it bores me :( I used to be a awesome surfer/scuba diver when travelling and would like to get back into it this summer.....would swimming help me gain muscle and tone up the way lifting might do?

Thanks
    Swimming is awesome exercise. I don't think it will accomplish the same thing as weight lifting but that's okay. You like swimming and don't like weight lifting, so swim. People will try and talk you into it but I wouldn't let it bother me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    no...you can't gain muscle unless eating at a surplus and doing a progressive load lifting program.

Will it help define the muscle you have....a calorie deficet will do that...by getting rid of the fat over it...but if you aren't doing some form of resistence training and getting enough protien you will lose muscle too...now is swimming resistence training...I would say to a point.

Will it help create a calorie deficet yes...

If you want the results from lifting you have to lift...

Now the question is why do you find it boring? length of time it takes? bored with the number of reps?

the program I do has a total of 5 lifts alternating them 3 days a week, 5 sets of 5 reps takes me 1min per set (most of my time is spent in rest period due to the weight I am lifting but at the start took me maybe 30mins a day.

ETA: Stronglift summary link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    I swim 3 mornings a week. I have excellent muscle definition because my BF% is fairly low. I'm not super strong, though.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Swimming will not accomplish the same results as lifting. Very, very different exercises.
  • no...you can't gain muscle unless eating at a surplus and doing a progressive load lifting program.

Will it help define the muscle you have....a calorie deficet will do that...by getting rid of the fat over it...but if you aren't doing some form of resistence training and getting enough protien you will lose muscle too...now is swimming resistence training...I would say to a point.

Will it help create a calorie deficet yes...

If you want the results from lifting you have to lift...

Now the question is why do you find it boring? length of time it takes? bored with the number of reps?

the program I do has a total of 5 lifts alternating them 3 days a week, 5 sets of 5 reps takes me 1min per set (most of my time is spent in rest period due to the weight I am lifting but at the start took me maybe 30mins a day.

ETA: Stronglift summary link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I'm a dance teacher (ballroom, ballet, latin and freestyle) and I don't like being still....I find weight lifting dull because its on the spot (maybe...just trying to rationalize my crazy brain :huh: )
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    "Can I do cardio instead of strength training?" That's what you're asking.

No form of cardio is a replacement for strength training. There are, however, certain workout formats, such as circuit training, which allow you to get both from one single workout.
  • I know cardio is no substitute...I'd been told water offered a form of resistance and I'm curious as to how beneficial swimming could be
    :)
  • Water is approx 800x more resistant than air. I swim 4-5 times a week and I am definitely developing more shoulder muscle as a result, as well as toning my abs/increasing core strength and losing fat. But it won't cause muscle growth in the way lifting weights will.
  • SezxyStef
    Water is approx 800x more resistant than air. I swim 4-5 times a week and I am definitely developing more shoulder muscle as a result, as well as toning my abs/increasing core strength and losing fat. But it won't cause muscle growth in the way lifting weights will.

sorry you aren't "developing" muscles you are just uncovering what you have already.

Muscle growth typically requires heavy progressive load lifting and a calorie surplus (unless new to lifting or obese.)

to the OP I understand if you really don't like lifting....you wont stick to it long enough to see results if you don't like it.

Any form of resistence training is a good idea...my sister is very lean doing circut training videos with hand weights and eating at a deficet...probably 19% bf...maybe 20 but she is very lean.

So I guess what I am saying is do what you love for exercise and if you really want to increase strength (even a little) try Jillian Michaels videos such as 30day shred, ripped in 30 etc.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    It depends on what kind of body you want. Last week I was in the pool and a young guy in his 20's arrived--speedos and all--and he had a jaw dropping body( muscles, sleek etc). I've seen great bodies at the pool, but this guy was something. Then another, and another arrived. They were a visiting water polo team. So, lifting gives you one thing--but swimming sure can give you another.:wink:
  • SezxyStef
    It depends on what kind of body you want. Last week I was in the pool and a young guy in his 20's arrived--speedos and all--and he had a jaw dropping body( muscles, sleek etc). I've seen great bodies at the pool, but this guy was something. Then another, and another arrived. They were a visiting water polo team. So, lifting gives you one thing--but swimming sure can give you another.:wink:

trust me those boys lift weights....

ETA: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    this link shows the difference between lifting and not lifting but exercising.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member

trust me those boys lift weights....

ETA: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    this link shows the difference between lifting and not lifting but exercising.

Now I'm so sorry I didn't ask them----maybe next time.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Cardio--whether resisted or not--does not build muscle. This _requires_ a form of progression that is simply not possible when the amount of resistance used remains constant. In other words, there is a period of about 3 weeks when you first start where muscle may enjoy the same benefits from swimming as it would from strength training, but once you've adapted beyond that level, it's just cardio. And you will not promote muscle gain doing that any more than you would with jogging.

OP, I see your concern a lot. It seems many women, for whatever reason, seem more drawn to forms of exercise that have much greater variety in movement than what traditional strength training employs. Unfortunately, it is this same repetitive movement pattern--done under gradually increasing levels of resistance--that promotes muscle growth and strength gains.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Swimming is good exercise but it is not a substitute for weight lifting. There are basically two forms of exercise, aerobic exercises that work your heart and lungs (cardiovascular, cardio exercise) of whch swimming, running, aerobics, jogging, hiking etc would all be members of. These are the exercises where you do a very high volume of a motion with no added weight (running is basically doing lunges over and over again if you think about it).

Weight lifting is for strength and muscle building and is an anaerobic exercise that goes for low volume (low repetitions) with high weight or resistance. If you run 2 miles you are doing something like 3000 repetitions of lunges but if you weight train you do 10 lunges holding onto 150 pounds of weight, big difference.

Long story short swimming is cardio, not anaerobic strength building exercise.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    I know cardio is no substitute...I'd been told water offered a form of resistance and I'm curious as to how beneficial swimming could be
    :)

Okay here is what I want you to think about for water providing resistance. Picture your arm motion for swimming. Then picture how many times you can make that arm motion in a pool without needing rest. What is it, like 1000 times? Okay now pick up a 3 pound weight in both hands and try to see how many times you can make that same arm motion before your shoulders are burning to much to continue. I bet it is no where near 1000 times and that is just a measly 3 pounds.

Water might provide a little bit of resistance but what it also provides is a ton of buoyancy which means you are no longer having to struggle against gravity. Its actually harder to make that arm motion in air than it is in water for that reason. Water resistance does not compare to weight resistance. Weight training for strength you want to pick a resistance where you can only perform something like 8 repetitions, not 1000s of repetitions.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Swimming is a good exercise, but as others have noted you will not get the same results as lifting. You cannot continually increase the resistance which is required.