Mixed Messages... WTF!

Options
I have been wrestling with a comment I received while walking through Penn Stattion Thursday afternoon. I was approached by 2 men who were cat calling me, which made me feel good until one of them called me "MEATY"...(as in "just the way I like 'em")
not sure how I feel about that. LOL... he was still hitting on me pretty hard, but I couldnt decide if I should be flattered by the attention or completely disgusted by being called MEATY. UGH

I dont like how I look these days so I felt great for a few minutes and then not so great. all that keeps going through my head is the word MEATY. which doesnt exactly invoke a good feeling.

I am trying to focus more on the fact that they thought i was attractive even at this weight, but i just keep hearing MEATY.... its killing me....

Replies

• JMoore221979
    Options
    You are beautiful. Don't think about what some dumb *kitten* said to you on the street. You will never see him again probably and in the end you are here for you. Love yourself and then who cares what anyone says!
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are looking for? Meat is good but there are two parts, lean and fat. You know what you are and what you need/want to be for your daughters. I really wouldn't think catcallers at your age should be given so much merit. I mean when it gives you a lift - fine but wouldn't let it bother me. Will you be disappointed when you have lost your weight and that person no longer catcalls at you since he finds you not meaty enough?
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    "Meaty" would have me freaked out as well. It sounds like he wants to put you on a rotisserie!

Honesty I think cat-calling and other 7th grade behavior isn't about the women at all but about showing off in front of other males (and a particularly stupid way of doing it), so I would ignore anything they say. They are hoping to get a reaction out of you.
  • deedepe
    deedepe Posts: 1
    Options
    Maybe they meant "delectable," like a Reubens' woman! I'd take it as a compliment, albeit juvenile.
  • miss_phat_booty
    Options
    In some cultures terms like "meaty", "thick" etc is considered a compliment. I can't 100% assure you the man meant it as a compliment but I think he did.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have been wrestling with a comment I received while walking through Penn Stattion Thursday afternoon. I was approached by 2 men who were cat calling me, which made me feel good until one of them called me "MEATY"...(as in "just the way I like 'em")
    not sure how I feel about that. LOL... he was still hitting on me pretty hard, but I couldnt decide if I should be flattered by the attention or completely disgusted by being called MEATY. UGH

I dont like how I look these days so I felt great for a few minutes and then not so great. all that keeps going through my head is the word MEATY. which doesnt exactly invoke a good feeling.

I am trying to focus more on the fact that they thought i was attractive even at this weight, but i just keep hearing MEATY.... its killing me....

As the saying goes, "It's none of your business what others think of you." .............especially if they are idiots. Regardless of whether they meant it as a compliment or insult, "cat calling" in my opinion is belittling of a woman.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Call it right back "Honey, you ain't saucy enough for this meaty gal." Then laugh - I'm certain his friends will too. :wink:
  • gwencakes
    gwencakes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying. I'm sure they were complimenting you but you don't want to be thought of as thick. The balls on some guys to yell random stuff in a public place always mystifies me though! LOL

Reminds me of a time I was out downtown. A guy was hollering provocative things to me from across the street, when I said no thanks, he replied, 'whatever your fat anyways!" Well ok...but you wanted to *kitten* me a minute ago. NICE.. DB's
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Just respond by saying "You look like you've got a CUTE little package. I like the dainty ones!" He'll be freaking out over the words 'cute' and 'dainty' a thousand times more than you are about 'meaty'. :laugh:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Compliment, if from Jeffrey Dahmer or Hannibal Lecter.

??? from an average Joe.

That's quite the strange compliment in a non-cannibalistic sense.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hahaha i have been called "meaty" as well. At first i was off put...and then i realized i love meat. Points for creativity, eh?

Take it as a compliment (unless said by Dahmer) :)
  • trisha986
    trisha986 Posts: 139
    Options
    Who cares what a man in the street called you. It's all about how YOU feel what YOU see in the mirror. Some people have called me "thick" and others "skinny". I think it depends on the person's taste. Meaty could mean curvy, in that you have a nice butt or rack, lol. But honestly, don't dwell on it as anything more than a compliment :)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There is a lovely Yiddish word for a woman with curves: zaftig. It's an appreciative and positive word. Take "meaty" the same way.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Men that cat call at women ... they don't sound like quality. Ignore them!
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.. Ppl are so mean sometimes.. I got called a 5 this morning on an mfp thread... :sad:

But then when I composed myself I realized she was probably just bitter and went back to work...

But seriously I've never heard the term meaty before, but if they where hitting on you it wasn't a bad thing :drinker:
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If I understand you correctly, you're having trouble deciding what to think of the man's words.

I suggest you decide to think it is a compliment.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'd take it as meaty rather than fatty and take that as a compliment. He wouldn't be wasting his time flirting with you if he didn't like what he saw!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've been called meaty...

I was afraid maybe he was a cannibal, so I left.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yep - I would not like to be called "Meaty" but on the flip side I'd rather be "meaty" vs "boney"... so its really a no win. I do think the guy could've chosen his words better. But the fact is - you are very beautiful and I would most certainly take it as a compliment!!!