Buffalo NY

Options
Soooooo I'm headed to Buffalo NY - The only thing I am familiar with is The Niagara Falls.....Anyone know of any other MUST SEE PLACES there?

Replies

• Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    How long are you in town for?

Albright Knox Art Gallery

Shopping in the Elmwood Village

Get some wings at Anchor Bar and/or Duffs

Check the schedule at Shea's Performing Art Center and see a show

Buffalo Botanical Gardens

Burchfield-Penny Art Center

Plenty to do around here!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Don't go to Anchor Bar. Go to Duffs, Bar Bill (in East Aurora about 20mins south) or Gabriel's Gate. Anchor Bar is so overrated
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Options
    good point! Totally forgot about The Bill! Cajun medium wings!!!!!
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    SnapShot's house :P
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    Thanks SnapShot.... I will be there Saturday the 26th thru the 4th of May....
    First vacation away from home in 6 years, so I am very much looking forward to it....
    I know I'll visit the Falls, and The Nightmares Fear Factory on the Canadian side of the Falls...
    Thank you for all the ideas, are a lot of these walking distance of downtown?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Hit the Naval Museum in Erie and then jaunt over to the Anchor Bar for original Buffalo wings.

Zoo is good.

I always like Fort Niagra.

Hit Schwabl's for a Nice Beef and Weck and a LaBatts. Right Around Union and Center.

I like driving the country and hitting up farmer's markets or grower stands. Had family out in Ransomville so I usually head out that way.

Lots of other museums and parks around too.
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    Don't go to Anchor Bar. Go to Duffs, Bar Bill (in East Aurora about 20mins south) or Gabriel's Gate. Anchor Bar is so overrated
    LOL Got it!
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    Cajun medium wings!!!!!

Mmmmmm now that sounds good!!!
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    SnapShot's house :P

Bwahahahaha is it one of Buffalo's hot spots? Shouldn't pass up any of those!
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    Hit the Naval Museum in Erie and then jaunt over to the Anchor Bar for original Buffalo wings.

Zoo is good.

I always like Fort Niagra.

Hit Schwabl's for a Nice Beef and Weck and a LaBatts. Right Around Union and Center.

I like driving the country and hitting up farmer's markets or grower stands. Had family out in Ransomville so I usually head out that way.

Lots of other museums and parks around too.

I am taking notes!!!! Thank you!
  • Timshel_
    Options
    And really, the Anchor bar is not overrated. They certainly aren't the best wings ever, but it's part of the attraction of being in Buffalo and they have good food. Wait times are tough at times. Duffs is decent too.
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    And really, the Anchor bar is not overrated. They certainly aren't the best wings every, but it's part of the attraction of being in Buffalo and they have good food. Wait times are tough at times. Duffs is decent too.

Always good to know - there will be times where I maybe wandering the streets perhaps I'll check them out at lunch...
  • patrickblo13
    Options

Schwabels is currently closed. Some old lady plowed into the side of the building and knocked the entire building off the foundation. They are hoping to open shortly.

Bar Bill once again best wings and Beef N weck in the B-Lo.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Schwabels is currently closed. Some old lady plowed into the side of the building and knocked the entire building off the foundation. They are hoping to open shortly.

Again? Didn't that happen just recently too? I need to visit my Aunt and walk over to check it out.
  • patrickblo13
    Options

Again? Didn't that happen just recently too? I need to visit my Aunt and walk over to check it out.

This happened back in December. They are working on it now and hopefully be reopening soon.
  • onechaoticrose
    Options

What is the B-Lo?
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Options

What is the B-Lo?

B-Lo = Buffalo :wink:
  • jacques57
    jacques57 Posts: 2,129 Member
    Options
    I have not been to Buffalo since 1987 but the places mentioned were mostly there then. I enjoyed Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar but that was then. There are a few highlights to touch on that have not been mentioned:

The Lewiston Art Park a few miles out of town is on the river gorge and has a cantilevered walk out over the gorge with mirrors above and below so you feel disoriented by 180 degrees. Bucket-list stuff, I am telling you.

The EPA and the environmental movement got its start in this country when Hooker Chemical and the City of Tonawanda created the Love Canal mess. Good to go by it and pay respects for the birth of the industry that puts food on my table.

The Lackawanna formation, a shale bed, is found in a few locations around Lackawanna. You can find the most exquisite and detailed fossilized clams, and trilobites in this shale and they are 440 million years old. Breath-taking.

Of course it helps to be a geologist to get excited about these places.... Enjoy your trip.
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    I have not been to Buffalo since 1987 but the places mentioned were mostly there then. I enjoyed Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar but that was then. There are a few highlights to touch on that have not been mentioned:

The Lewiston Art Park a few miles out of town is on the river gorge and has a cantilevered walk out over the gorge with mirrors above and below so you feel disoriented by 180 degrees. Bucket-list stuff, I am telling you.

The EPA and the environmental movement got its start in this country when Hooker Chemical and the City of Tonawanda created the Love Canal mess. Good to go by it and pay respects for the birth of the industry that puts food on my table.

The Lackawanna formation, a shale bed, is found in a few locations around Lackawanna. You can find the most exquisite and detailed fossilized clams, and trilobites in this shale and they are 440 million years old. Breath-taking.

Of course it helps to be a geologist to get excited about these places.... Enjoy your trip.

2 out of 3 sound really cool! lol I don't think you need to be a geologist to get excited about fossilized clams and such....I happen to think that's pretty cool :)

Thank you!
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Duff's is the best wings place as far as i am concerned/ Cant wait to a family reunion in July so I can get my fix :D