Atkins anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You know... whatever works for you!

I was on Atkins for a summer when I was 16 and did so because my parents did it. It worked for them fairly well, but like a lot of Atkins people I've met, they always lose weight then rebound. But then again isn't that the same for most diets anyway?

There is still a lot to say for a diet that let's you eat bacon non-stop :love:
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm going to observe that if Atkins worked so well five years ago, why are you here? I plan only can be said to work if it is sustainable for the long haul.

There really isn't a diet that is "sustainable for the long haul" for most people. Depending on which study you read, between 80% and 97% of people who attempt weight loss through behavioral modification fail to keep the weight off long-term. They just can't sustain it. It's not the diet so much as your body's reaction to fat loss. Our bodies are programmed to protect fat stores and when leptin levels fall from less fat mass our bodies respond to cutting back metabolism and increasing hunger. People get worn down feeling cold and hungry and eventually give in.

Structure can help. Eating non-calorie-dense foods can help. Eating less palatable foods can help. High protein loads can help curb hunger. Atkins generally does these things until people either give in to eat other foods or until they find calorie-dense low-carb substitutes for the calorie-dense high-carb foods they used to eat.

The reality is, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Diet composition has virtually no impact on weight loss.

http://i.imgur.com/fmbprDA.jpg

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=2993&bhcp=20
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance last August. My nutritional doctor put me on a food plan that I'll have to follow for the rest of my life that is essentially a modified Atkins plan. It has worked really well for me. I feel better than I've felt in years and years. My blood work is phenomenal. And yes, this isn't a "diet". He was very up front about this. This is a way of life, unless I want to become diabetic and then have to deal with diet changes that go along with that, insulin, etc. I'll have to check out the group link. I wish I'd known about this plan years ago. Could have saved myself a lot of heartache and angst over the last umpteen years.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm going to observe that if Atkins worked so well five years ago, why are you here? I plan only can be said to work if it is sustainable for the long haul.

There really isn't a diet that is "sustainable for the long haul" for most people. Depending on which study you read, between 80% and 97% of people who attempt weight loss through behavioral modification fail to keep the weight off long-term. They just can't sustain it. It's not the diet so much as your body's reaction to fat loss. Our bodies are programmed to protect fat stores and when leptin levels fall from less fat mass our bodies respond to cutting back metabolism and increasing hunger. People get worn down feeling cold and hungry and eventually give in.

Structure can help. Eating non-calorie-dense foods can help. Eating less palatable foods can help. High protein loads can help curb hunger. Atkins generally does these things until people either give in to eat other foods or until they find calorie-dense low-carb substitutes for the calorie-dense high-carb foods they used to eat.

The reality is, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. Diet composition has virtually no impact on weight loss.

http://i.imgur.com/fmbprDA.jpg

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?live=2993&bhcp=20

Agreed completely. The real world is full of carbohydrates. Eat whatever you want, just eat at a deficit. You will lose weight. You don't have to stop eating entire food groups to achieve success.