Too many carrots?

Options
A few years ago in college, if I had to pitch a big game I would eat nothing but vegetables two days before and drink a little over a gallon of water. Then I would run a full campus loop (3.2 miles) and sit in the whirlpool for an hour, stretch and go to sleep. I felt like a million bucks the next morning as I did conditioning and preparation for the big start. Superstition was more of the reasoning for the routine than anything else.

Anyway, I used to eat bags of baby carrots on those days. Many bags. And they were delicious and filling. However, I ate just one bag the last week and my hands turned orange. I did it again thinking it was a one-and-done thing, but once again my hands turned orange. I heard this is common with carrots and sweet potatoes. This is not cool because I love eating carrots. Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this happening, but never experience it myself. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
  • jamieo70
    jamieo70 Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen it in an adult, but it's called Carotenemia and I've seen it happen to babies when their parents feed them too many carrots or sweet potatoes. Just reduce the amount you're eating.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    This is real. It happened to my niece because her mom fed her tons of mashed carrots and mashed sweet potatoes. it's called carotenemia.

"People wonder, will eating too many carrots change the color of your skin? The surprising fact is eating too many carrots, or other foods high in beta-carotene, can cause a yellowish discoloration of the skin, according to the Dermatology Clinic at UAMS. This discoloration, a condition called carotenemia, is most noticeable on the palms and soles. Unlike jaundice, though, carotenemia does not cause yellowing of the whites of the eyes. Carotenemia is usually seen in young children, is not toxic and generally does not cause other health problems.

Treatment for this discoloration is a change to a low-carotene diet, but it may take several months for the skin to return to its normal color. Just don't substitute tomatoes for your carrots. Eating too many tomatoes can cause a yellow-orange discoloration of the skin called lycopenemia, due to the accumulation of lycopene in the tissues. The treatment for lycopenemia is also dietary modification."

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens when I eat Cheetos - not for the same reason, I'm sure. :laugh:
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens when I eat Cheetos - not for the same reason, I'm sure. :laugh:

Haha yeah its similar because neither will wash off!