starving

Voncreepy2
Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
OK. I have officially leveled out on my weight loss. I am starving to death. I am doing the smaller frequent meals and have been below my cals for the last few weeks I know I have firmed up and I have a more muscular build than most women and even some men. I am just padded over it.:bigsmile: I tend to think it is maybe since firming up my metabolism has increased. I am afraid to increase my calories though. I eat about 1200 a day, sometimes, I go over 100 or so but i stay pretty close to my goal. I eat a lot of high fiber foods usually, veggies and whole grains and started adding more protein but am literally for real hungry every few hours. Anyone else had this going on. I drink plenty of water too. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• Are you working out?
  • almonds, munch on those after you do your activities.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    If you are working out you should be eating more then 1200/day. I would try to add 100 calories / day and see if you gain. If you don't try adding more. You may end up losing weight instead. Keep up with the healthy food. That's awsome.
  • I can't veiw your food diary, but my first thought is are you getting enough good fat? When we start eating healthy sometimes we cut out too much fat and calories. so my next though is are 1200 calories really enough for you? Believe it or not, if you are working out a lot your body need more than the minumum 1200 cal. Remeber if you body does not get what it needs it goes into starvation mode and weight lass slows way down or stops. If you are really hungry it sounds like you are not getting enough fat and maybe protien at each meal. Your body really does know what it needs if you listen to it.
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    You should eat back at least half of the calories you've burned working out, in addition to the 1200 daily minimum. If you are not getting enough calories, your body will pack on all the fat it can, because it thinks you're starving. Remember that muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat; so now that you have slimmed down and built more lean muscle, you need more calories just to survive.

If you're feeling hungry, (and you're sure it hunger not emotions or boredom) you body is probably trying to tell you you need more food.
  • I agree!
    You should eat back at least half of the calories you've burned working out, in addition to the 1200 daily minimum. If you are not getting enough calories, your body will pack on all the fat it can, because it thinks you're starving. Remember that muscle requires more calories to maintain than fat; so now that you have slimmed down and built more lean muscle, you need more calories just to survive.

If you're feeling hungry, (and you're sure it hunger not emotions or boredom) you body is probably trying to tell you you need more food.
  • Voncreepy2
    i go walking on a hilly path almost everyday and I include my vigorous house cleaning routine and lugging around my 30#. baby who can't walk yet, so I think i am burning enough.
  • Voncreepy2
    Thanks everyone for the help!!!!!!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    i go walking on a hilly path almost everyday and I include my vigorous house cleaning routine and lugging around my 30#. baby who can't walk yet, so I think i am burning enough.

with that much exercise (my own 25lb baby has only just started walking) you should be eating around 1400-1600 cals a day (200-400 exercise calories).

Also, is 1200 your goal calorie intake? You mentioned that you are often under your calorie goal... and if that's only 1200, then that is simply not enough.

If you are feeling starving, then feed yourself, or drink some water. It's about finding something that will work for you long-term - feeling deprived is never good.
This discussion has been closed.