How do you stay motivated during cardio?

Options
124»

Replies

• tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have to motivate myself BEFORE I start my workout so that I have motivation to work off of (if that makes sense). This usually includes imagining dramatic motivational music in my head and coming up with some speech lol

As to during my workouts, these have kept me going through my last couple workouts:
    1. John Mulaney Station on Pandora
    2. 50 Shades of Grey audiobook
    3. Running Man (korean show)
    4. Working out next to the guy/girl hauling *kitten*
    5. *Being competitive. I always try to "beat" those around me. Ie: if I'm running on the treadmill, the game always becomes first person to start walking/get off the treadmill loses (if a new person gets on, you still have to beat them too) -- the beauty of it is that these people don't even know I'm competing against them haha
  • Gero_Virtus
    Options
    I pretend I am training to be a superhero >.>

In a similar vein, I pretend I'm wearing armor and kicking monster butt! ...but whenever that doesn't work I daydream about hot sexy....stuff that I probably can't say...that involves me taking an "active role.". ...and all of this while listening to my fav. music.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    This depends really. It is easy for me to stay motivated when I go for runs outside. I usually go super early so something as simple as the sun rising or catching a glimpse of that deer as it runs across the field is enough for me. Plus I run with friends a lot and so am usually gossiping about something or another.

For crosstraining I mix it up. I either go do a spin class, or I may to a short 20 minute hill climb on the treadmill. Or maybe I will do a speed set instead. One day I might go do water aerobics....the next I might go swim laps. Whatever to keep it from getting bored.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym membership, try a cardio class (spin / zumba). If that doesn't sound interesting, I've heard there are programs you can download to your iPod or other device that will actually talk to you - tell you when to push the intensity, tell you when to back off, etc. If you can be outside, find some beautiful scenery.

(I don't actually have this problem - I usually don't listen to music when I run, whether on the treadmill or outside, and I can't watch the TV... I just kind of get lost in my own thoughts. I solve all the world's problems. I sing to myself (in my head). I just let my mind go empty and enjoy the quiet...

On the other hand, I hate the weight training part of working out. To get myself motivated to do it, I think I'm going to buy a session with a personal trainer - cause right now, I'm floundering. I find weight lifting/strength training to be a really unpleasant thing to do <sigh> Strange how we're all so different :)
  • mishtery
    mishtery Posts: 148
    Options
    Listen to music, but I mix up my cardio sessions so I don't get bored. If I'm just on the treadmill each time I go in I set different goals, go between different equipment. Good when you have a friend with you too. Was with a friend this morning and thought I'd up the speed of a quick run to see how long I'd last. She encouraged me to not stop til I hit the 1km mark. Change your music often too on your iPod or MP3 player.
  • Agatefairy
    Agatefairy Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I listen to music I love that's the correct bpm for what I'm attempting. Music is delicious. :-)
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, bike, and elliptical at home. And I either watch something from The Fast and Furious Franchise.. or I watch FRIENDS. It keeps me motivated for quite a while :)
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    great ideas here....bump
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I'm away from my family doing it. I can't feel good about leaving the house to workout unless I'm getting a quality workout.
  • tautailgate
    tautailgate Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are able to read while you are doing cardio, that is what I do when I am on my treadmill or stationary bike. I can usually keep reading even through active power walking speeds/jogging. If I start running, I just break from the book and zone in on the musicI am listening to.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My cardio is Dance Dance Revolution, so I'm dancing the whole time and trying to keep the beat while jumping and stepping to super fast music, lol.
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Pandora! I can switch the genre to give me what i need that particular day. Bored? walk down memory lane with 80's throwbacks, etc. I'll decide during the day what the theme will be and i look for random, off the beaten path themes. The other day i spent an hour listening to late 80's, early 90's club bangers by girl groups and each song brought back memories. Other days i'll punch in Audioslave and other "mean" music. Keep the music fresh and the time flies.
  • tautailgate
    tautailgate Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can also google "Pandora workout Stations" and find some great suggestions online!
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Interval Training.
    I go hard enough so that I don't get bored.