I cant quit smoking!!! Help!!!!

Options
I am really struggling with quitting smoking! I try time and time again but its so hard for me! Im so weak when it comes to this. Has anyone overcome this? If so, do u have any good tips for me?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I quit once...it was hard.......I remember crying I wanted one so bad...so I would just go to bed...honestly.

Can't always do that tho.

Distraction is the key. Go for a walk, take up a hobby, brush your teeth, chew sugar free candy or gum...good luck..

I will join you later....
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was the e-cig. The flavors are awesome and with different nicotine levels you can wean yourself off.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hey there! You're not weak. You're addicted. It's addictive! But you can overcome it :)

I helped a close friend quit. I did this by clapping my hands and cheering every time she took out a cigarette, telling her things like "What an amazing decision!" She didn't get mad at me like she would have if I had been mean about it (she usually laughed and other people joined in too), but it still made her feel guilty for what she was doing to herself. Maybe you have a close friend that can help you quit?

I'm also working on my parents who, having smoked for 30+ years, are not as easily convinced to stop. I bought them little plastic filters, which they use because they're no hassle, you just pop em on the end and smoke your regular cigarettes... they were cheap too, disposable. They watch them fill up with tar which helps them understand that it's bad for them, the visual turns them off to it kinda. They also bought patches and tons of gum/candy (go sugarless!) and ecigs just for the sake of putting something in their mouths and smoking it. Different things work for different people. It also may help to stay hydrated (keep your mouth busy with water rather than cigs) and to do cardio! You'll realize you're totally out of breath and that you could do more/better if you didn't smoke.

Best of luck to you!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I quit... several times, in fact! I did it cold turkey each time but I would go a couple of years without a problem then as soon as something majorly stressful happened I went running back to the nicotine. My husband's been a smoker for our entire relationship and has never once attempted to quit which it makes it a lot harder for me to really kick the habit so this last time I decided I'd get some help. I've been on Chantix since February (and that's when my last cig was). Cravings are gone and when I create a distraction for myself, I'm able to really get into and not even think about smoking.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was the e-cig. The flavors are awesome and with different nicotine levels you can wean yourself off.

worked for me as well.
  • hollystensrud
    Options
    I quit for 9 months last year, now a smoker again because I'm an idiot... i used champix (that may not be spelt correctly). It really helped. Next time i try quitting again I'm definitely going back to the doctor for a perscription. It cut my cravings way down like nothing else i tried.
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Third time was the final time for me. Quit cold turkey. Well over 2 packs a day and had smoked for over 20 years.

Today is my 10th anniversary as a non-smoker. I just kept telling myself 72 hours. I was completely focused on that number and just kept telling myself after the first 72 hours it was all mental. That and butterscotch lifesavers got me through it.

You can do it. You will not be sorry.

72 hours.....go for it!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hardest thing i've ever had to do. it takes a lot of tries. but eventually i just liked exercising more than i liked smoking.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I quit 1.5 years ago by switching to an e-cig. I was one of those people who was NEVER going to quit smoking. I got a decent e-cig and never looked back. It was easier than I ever could've imagined. I'm down to 6mg of nicotine (which is very little, a cig has around 20mg I believe) and I have no desire to smoke. It's definitely worth a try if you are struggling to quit (I quit without even meaning to!).
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago I quit smoking and started Vaping and it allowed me to stop smoking cold turkey. I now vape very rarely. One of the great things about vaping is it doesn't stink like cigarettes. Plus it doesn't have the toxins that cigs have. I started off with e-cigarettes for a few days and then bought an actual device (provari) and juice so I could vape different flavors and lower the nicotine levels in them. Worked great for me.
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I quit once...it was hard.......I remember crying I wanted one so bad...so I would just go to bed...honestly.

Can't always do that tho.

Distraction is the key. Go for a walk, take up a hobby, brush your teeth, chew sugar free candy or gum...good luck..

I will join you later....

I used to get mad and go to bed when I first quit. Now I know that's actually a strategy. I also did not diet for the first three seeks when I quit and I ate a whole lot of sugar. When I had a craving for a cig I would say to myself, "Wow, it feels like I want a cigarette but I don't smoke so I must want chocolate." I gained 8 pounds but I've lost it again and it was worth it.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    how much do you want to quit? If you really wanted to quit, you would.

The only success stories ive heard of people quitting are the ones that really really want to quit
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how much do you want to quit? If you really wanted to quit, you would.

The only success stories ive heard of people quitting are the ones that really really want to quit

i appreciate what you're saying to the OP, but man, smoking is an addiction, both mentally and physically. i know people that haven't smoked in forty years that still jones for one on occasion.
  • marleyskye05
    Options
    The whole reason why you can't quit is because you have the mindset that you can't. You say "I'm weak", "I can't quit", etc. and that only reinforces the idea consciously that you can't do it, so you never will. Coming from someone who quit cold turkey almost 3 years ago now, it's ALL in your mind. If you want to quit and truly believe that you will, then you will. Until then, as long as you hold onto the notion that you're "too weak" to quit, you will continue to make excuses like that for the rest of your life. It really is that simple!
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

worked for me as well.

+1
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've quit a couple times. This last time was because I wanted to get pregnant and I knew I wouldn't pick it up again b/c I didn't want to be a parent who smokes. It's been 6 or 7 years and as with weight loss, I just had to really want it enough.

My husband had much harder time. He ended up vaping instead. Not ideal but it's better than cigarettes.

Good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I only stopped smoking because I couldn't afford to buy them.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you decide to go the Chantix route.
    It changed my whole personality and I was not even aware of it.
    Learned this thru husband and a good friend.
    It probably works well for many , but not for me.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My story is rough but I'll share. My uncle died of lung cancer. Being at the hospital/hospice with my family, just waiting....seeing what it did to his body (it moved from his lungs into his brain) and what it did to his kids and my aunt...it was rough. When he passed, my family gathered in his room around his bed and I led us in prayer while everyone just cried. I haven't had one since. I quit cold turkey. When I wanted one, I just imagined that moment and the desire was gone. Now I can not stand cigarette smoke at all! My grandmother quit after she had a stroke and she smoked for 50 plus years. My father in law quit after he got cancer to help with his recovery and he smoked for 30 something years I think. They both quit cold turkey.

Prepare for the withdrawals and suffer through it. To me cold turkey was easy because I felt that when I would smoke again, I'd have to start all that all over again and didn't want to any longer.