pasta

Options
I have the hardest time trying to calculate calories for pasta. It always seems that it will give a measurement for dry weight of pasta. I need to know based on the cooked weight. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a different way to search it? Am I just being stupid?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you are cooking the pasta in something other than water, I think it's best to weigh it dry. The difference in weight would be water that was absorbed, which would be calorie free. So, 100 g of cooked pasta could have different calories depending on how long you cook it, since longer cooking means more water absorbed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Do it dry.

Cooked calories depend too much on how it is cooked.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Do it dry.

Cooked calories depend too much on how it is cooked.

Now that just sounds uncomfortable.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have this same issure. I can't really measure it dry because I'm never cooking just for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have this same issure. I can't really measure it dry because I'm never cooking just for me.

Measure the whole amount dry, then measure the whole amount cooked, then measure the amount you will eat cooked. Whatever % you are eating is of the whole cooked, you can log as the % of the dry.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    From the "research" I've done, 2oz of dry pasta = 4oz cooked pasta. Weigh it out and you get a lot more than using a measuring cup.