How do you feel about intermittent fasting? +friends

Options
So there are people out there that do the 5:2 diet (something like intermittent fasting 2 days out of every week but instead it deprives calories)
I was curious about how some of you feel about this. Have any of you tried it? Does anyone recommend trying it? Who's against it? etc.

I was thinking about doing a 5:3 but modified

For me:

This would include no weight lifting.

Just my usual 15-20 min cardio (jog froward and walk backward)
15 abdominals (2x)
15 tranversus abd. (2x)
25 butt/leg lifts (2x)
And then some stretching to cool down

I would eat between 7am-3pm every everyday (nothing over 200 calories for each meal I eat) and then fast for 16 hours
The work out would take place between 2:30pm-4 pm

Oh and I love to have some friends! Add me if your interested

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Wait, I'm confused -- is the nothing over 200 calories per meal for the low days or the up days?
  • SBMarie93
    SBMarie93 Posts: 16
    Options
    The low days-- but I can have more than one meal within that 8 hour time frame
  • SBMarie93
    Options
    The low days-- but I can have more than one meal within that 6 hour time frame
    The up days I'd have my regular 1200 calorie diet
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just do the standard 5:2 which works well for me. Hit goal weight last week so am supposed to be dropping to 6:1 to maintain but to still get the IF health benefits. Although will weigh tomorrow as I think after Easter over indulgences I have probably gained a fair amount. If so I'll be back on 5:2 until I'm back at goal. Urs seems a bit complicated, from what I understand it is best to just stick to the standard 5:2 lifestyle otherwise it can go wrong.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    None of this makes sense. There is no 5:3. There are 8 hours in 7-3, not 6. What you are talking about is called 16/8 - a version of IF. You should be focused on eating the proper amount of calories during your 8 hour eating period - not limiting the calories for each meal. it's hard to eat multiple meals within an 8 hour period.
  • susannamarie
    Options

That is not how 5:2 works -- if you're going to do 5:2 you're supposed to eat maintenance on the other days.

Don't try and mix and match like this -- either pick 1200 or do 5:2.
  • SBMarie93
    Options
    I'd between 3-4 meals in an 8 hour time frame (that gives 30mins-1hour of digestion between each meal) that's between 600 and 800 calories in that time frame, and its just a round 200 not a perfect 200 calories. then I'd be off for another 16 hours.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

That is not how 5:2 works -- if you're going to do 5:2 you're supposed to eat maintenance on the other days.

This ^^^

You eat at maintenance 5 days a week and then have 2 "fast" days a week where you only eat 500-600 calories. If you want to do this then set your MFP calories at maintenance and then simply aim to only hit 500-600 calories of that for two non-consecutive days of the week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    The more exotic/unnatural something is, the less likely it is to work on the long run.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

This! IF is fine if you are consuming the proper amount of calories.

Pick something and try it, don't try to combine all of them into one, making it over complicated and overly restrictive.

Also why no weight lifting?
  • susannamarie
    Options
    I'd between 3-4 meals in an 8 hour time frame (that gives 30mins-1hour of digestion between each meal) that's between 600 and 800 calories in that time frame, and its just a round 200 not a perfect 200 calories. then I'd be off for another 16 hours.

Right, but this puts your average for the week (assuming 700 on those days and 1200 on the others) at a bit over a thousand calories a day, not including exercise calories). This is not really enough for proper nutrition or for care of the body between workouts, unless you are very short, very slender, and older.

Again -- you asked for thoughts. This diet is too low-cal.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend reading the Fast Diet book and watching the documentary Eat Fast Live Longer, I've read the book three times and watched the documentary twice, you need to have a full understanding of the system. Both will spell out how to do the 5:2 properly. I am not convinced you'll get the other health benefits otherwise.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are serious in your profile, in losing 65 lbs in 4 months to join the military, if you really try this, more likely you will in the hospital in the end of these 4 month period. You need realistic goals and to start valuing your health more than anything else.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Um.....no

1200 calories is a diet day not an "up" day.

5:2 is 2 days at fast .....500 calories for women & 5 days at maintenance. Your entire deficit comes from 2 days.

Here's a group that can explain it better than I can

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
  • SBMarie93
    Options
    A friend of mine said if I wanted to weight life then up on carbs the day before. It's not to say that I can't just more of an I won't (personally).
  • susannamarie
    Options
    If you are serious in your profile, in losing 65 lbs in 4 months to join the military, if you really try this, more likely you will in the hospital in the end of these 4 month period. You need realistic goals and to start valuing your health more than anything else.

Man, I didn't even notice the join the military part. OP, you can crash it off, but you're never going to survive boot camp if you lose as much muscle mass as your plan will have you losing. For *your* goals, you need to be incorporating weight training as well.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-basic-training/getting-prepared-for-bootcamp
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

800 calories x 3 days
    +1200 calories x 4 days

= 7,200 a week...........1,028 daily average. Not nearly enough to maintain lean muscle. Only the scale looks good.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I lost almost all my weight with the alternate day diet (JUDDD), and you need to eat maintenance calories on the days you're not fasting, NOT 1200 calories. Please do some more research. IF is a fantastic tool, and one that got me to and past my goal, but it's not for everyone, especially those prone to ED or those who don't follow the plan as written.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds far too complex for no obvious benefit.

If you want to do 5:2 then follow that plan (properly), if you want to do Leangains then do Leangains (properly).

If you are serious about trying to lose a huge amount of weight in a short time then 5:2 is definitely not for you - if you follow the plan then you would only be losing about a pound a week.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The ad to the right says, "lose up to 15 lbs in 21 days!!!!" Yeah, water weight! Starving yourself is bad. Fasting as a diet is bad. This crazy crap they have on the internet is....bad! Just cut back sensibly until you lose weight normally!