Poll: Are you Misophonic?

Options
EricJonrosh
EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
...meaning, does the sound of people chewing with their mouths open drive you nucking futz? Have you ever confronted a stranger?

sidenote: should the burden be shifted back to lip-smackers to have manners? Do you think pooping-non-hand-washers and cell-phone-loud-talkers overlap this group?

Replies

• SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. Gawd! I have not confronted a stranger unless by 'confronting' you mean giving them the death stare.
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It has to do with other sounds, not just chewing; but yes I either have this or something similar. Certain sounds and textures bother me to the point of anger, painful to hear, or really bother me and make me freak out a bit. Sometimes I am not bothered at all, but at other times i'm very sensitive..Never confronted anyone besides family or my boyfriend.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers. I changed the title and reposted.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I am very misophobic. For years I would tell my dad to 'stop rubbing his feet together' when we were watching tv and he just couldn't understand why the sound gave me the irrits.

I have actually confronted a work colleague about her lip smacking when eating. She said 'sorry' but when I explained my issue she was actually really good about it.

I have to refrain from smacking people across the head when they eat loudly. I prefer to go the movies when it's on it's last legs and I cannot stand sitting next to someone who crunches their popcorn so loudly.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a step mother in law that I can hear from a room away. I am so close to getting discrete ear plugs for meal times.
  • aharper84
    aharper84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, but it's not just chewing sounds. It can be any little repetitive or annoying noise. It could be the way someone breathes or finger nails tapping on a counter or sounds that keep playing over and over in music. Of course, that list definitely isn't all inclusive.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Chewing, gum popping (in pilates, for God's sake!!!), incessant pen clicking. Yes.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely. It actually affects my life quite a bit! People chewing or crunching drives me insane. I cannot deal with the sound of breathing, especially the loud, steady breathing people do when they're asleep. Any repetitive sound makes me feel angry.

Clocks. Chewing gum (I can't even look at someone who's chewing gum, even if I can't hear it). Bowl scraping. Stirring. Grrr.

I do not confront people. I do wear ear plugs in exams though.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yogurt stirring. An old coworker of mine used to literally slap stir her yogurt into submission and I just wanted to scream.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I once broke up with a guy for chewing with his mouth open. He used to love taking my to fancy restaurants, and then I could never eat because I was so grossed out by his mouth open loud chomping.