I think I need to do a cut

Options
I've been eating for England lately. Whilst I've gained some muscle mass I've also gained a good whack of fat. I was a 1200cal 'dieter' in te past when I've wanted to lose weight, but this time I want to maintain my muscle gains but strip fat. Where do I start?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    To preserve as much muscle as possible while losing weight, in a nutshell, you'll want to up protein intake, reduce fat and carbs to create a caloric deficit, and lift weights to help maintain.

The amount of protein you should shoot for is probably going to be in the range of 1.25-1.5g protein/ lb LBM. This is higher than the typical 1 g/lb LBM that we hear about. The reason is that if you are lean enough to do a cut and you are lifting weights, you need a little extra.

Try to create a 500 calorie or more deficit by reducing carbs & fat. This might mean you have to do a little low impact cardio too - just don't overdo it. Like 30-60 minutes of walking at 3-3.5 mph.

If you want more info on the mechanisms and details of why this will work, google Lyle McDonald
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Increase protein (1g protein per pound of total body weight, minimum.)
    Lift weights to keep working on those muscles you want to keep.

Create a caloric deficit. You don't want this to be a steep deficit - don't even go near 1200 calories. The greater your deficit, the more you risk losing lean body mass. Try losing at a rate of .5lb/week until you're satisfied with how lean you are.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I thought that was the case. My protein intake is usually good, I need to cut back on carbs as I've been eating so much lately. I'll calculate how many gr of protein an start there.

Appreciate the advice :)
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've started logging again and have opened my diary. Let me know what you think of today (its not finished yet, just put in what I know I will eat. its only 8.30am Wed 23/4/14 here in Aust)