Coasting into goal?

Options
I am about 5 lbs away from my starting goal, picked out of thin air. I may go lower but anyway...This has been on my mind for awhile now.

Instead of sticking with a deficit and slowing the deficit (15%, 10%, 5%) as you get nearer to goal, could you pick a goal weight and simply eat at that maintenance number as you near it to "coast" into your goal weight?

Example:

Eating @ 1925 right now (205, 6'1" male, 46 yo)
1850 would be my ideal maintenance number
What if I ate 1850 now and for the foreseeable future?
Would I just ease into my goal weight?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    So... you're losing weight at 1925 calories a day and you want to reduce your intake to 1850 and somehow slow down your weight loss and "coast" into your goal? This makes less than no sense.

You have to consume more than your weight loss intake to maintain weight... not less.

You don't decide a weight you want to be and then eat the number of calories that a person of that size would need to eat... that's actually a bit silly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Instead of sticking with a deficit and slowing the deficit (15%, 10%, 5%) as you get nearer to goal, could you pick a goal weight and simply eat at that maintenance number as you near it to "coast" into your goal weight?

isn't the above actually coasting into goal???? No big deficet...slowing down as you get closer...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    So... you're losing weight at 1925 calories a day and you want to reduce your intake to 1850 and somehow slow down your weight loss and "coast" into your goal? This makes less than no sense.

You have to consume more than your weight loss intake to maintain weight... not less.

You don't decide a weight you want to be and then eat the number of calories that a person of that size would need to eat... that's actually a bit silly.

Eating @ 1925 is losing at a deficit (currently 205)

Eating @ 1850 would be maintenance @ 175 (Ideal weight according to charts)

Why is it silly?
  • 257_Lag
    Options

isn't the above actually coasting into goal???? No big deficet...slowing down as you get closer...

Yes, but without adjusting your intake for the last few weeks/months as you get used to eating that amount for the rest of your life. You would eventually even out at this number right?
  • AHASRADA
    AHASRADA Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is actually the philosophy of Fat to Fit, "Live Like The Fit, Healthy Person You Want To Become". They recommend doing exactly what you suggest, eating at maintenance level for the weight you would like to be. Sure, the weight loss might be slower, but this way, you are truly making a lifestyle change and not dieting. You choose an exercise routine and a calorie intake level that you will live with for the rest of your life. If you burn and eat the number of calories necessary to maintain at your ideal weight, you will eventually get there. It can't hurt to try it!

If you're interested in learning more about these ideas, you can check out their website and podcast: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm no scientist but I would just do what's working until you get to goal weight. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Those famous pesky last five are famous for being stubborn.

Once at goal, THEN I'd start tinkering with things.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Yes, but without adjusting your intake for the last few weeks/months as you get used to eating that amount for the rest of your life. You would eventually even out at this number right?

I don't personally believe so...your TDEE is never stagnant, it is always dynamic and is affected by lots of factors...such as age, movement on a daily basis, exercise etc....

ETA: My TDEE has increased over the last 6months by 150...it's at almost 2300...
  • rovestar
    rovestar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi OP

You might be interested in this from Heybales:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

I think this is the same as what you are suggesting? Made perfect sense to me :smile:
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    ETA: My TDEE has increased over the last 6months by 150...it's at almost 2300...

Are you strength training? Why has it increased?
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    This is actually the philosophy of Fat to Fit, "Live Like The Fit, Healthy Person You Want To Become". They recommend doing exactly what you suggest, eating at maintenance level for the weight you would like to be. Sure, the weight loss might be slower, but this way, you are truly making a lifestyle change and not dieting. You choose an exercise routine and a calorie intake level that you will live with for the rest of your life. If you burn and eat the number of calories necessary to maintain at your ideal weight, you will eventually get there. It can't hurt to try it!

If you're interested in learning more about these ideas, you can check out their website and podcast: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/

I really like their site, and I personally think it makes a lot of sense. But I see where others are coming from in the "If it works dont fix it" mentality. If what you are doing is working for you, I wouldnt really change anything but that is just me
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Yes, but without adjusting your intake for the last few weeks/months as you get used to eating that amount for the rest of your life.

Is what you eat really that different with a 75 calorie difference in your goal? I don't see why your plan wouldn't work, but unsure of the benefit as it seems like such a minor difference in the target.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Example:

Eating @ 1925 right now (205, 6'1" male, 46 yo)
    1850 would be my ideal maintenance number
    What if I ate 1850 now and for the foreseeable future?
    Would I just ease into my goal weight?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Eat more.

I ate at a deficit until I wanted to stop losing weight. Then I upped my calories. Why do you want to lower them?!? I guess I don't see the point of purposefully lowering your calories in an attempt to get your body to "adjust" to that lower number when you're already losing at a higher number. It's still a lifestyle change, regardless.

BTW---I am a 5'9"ish female. My maintenance calories are around 2K/day. That is without exercise. I will add back any bit of exercise I do---even if it's just a mile walk to the store---and eat back those calories. (And for the most part, walking is my only exercise.) My guess is your true maintenance would be a couple of hundred calories more than mine, given that you're male and taller than me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Are you strength training? Why has it increased?

Yes I am strength training and doing HIIT 2x a week (or some form of cardio), prior to this I was doing circut training at least 5x a week with resistence training.

But this is why I don't believe eating maintenance for my goal weight will last forever...I expect in the next 6 months for my TDEE to go up again....as I hit maintenance, continue to lift and recomp a bit...I suspect it will be close to 2400 by end of summer.

If I were to eat maintenance for my goal weight now I would not lose anymore weight...and I want to lose at least another 2...