What's a healthy range of weight loss?

Options
How much weight would be healthy for a 270lb man to lose in a week? What is recommended and what is too much?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    How much weight would be healthy for a 270lb man to lose in a week? What is recommended and what is too much?

2 pounds a week max for anyone over 40 pounds overweight seems to be the prevailing wisdom here.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Most people recommend a maximum of a 2lb per week loss. A lot depends on the mans personality and willpower though. 3lb a week is probably sustainable by half of people. A chosen few might be able to sustain 4lb a week. Honestly though 2lb a week is a good number to aim for. Once you are there if you think you can push harder. You probably can.

Expect crazy weight loss in the first few weeks as he lets go of water though.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    More than 75 lbs to lose: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs to lose: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs to lose: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs to lose: 0.5 lb/week
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    Losing too fast isn't just about will power. Toxins are stored in fat cells so losing too fast puts a lot of pressure on the filter organs in your body to flush the toxins that are released.

Drinking lots of water, keeping sodium levels reasonable so that you don't retain water, and breaking a sweat when you exercise are all good to help get the gunk out.

But we should probably all be paying attention to the foods that are good for liver and kidney function when trying to lose weight just to make things a little easier on them.
  • peachezncreme
    peachezncreme Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Losing too fast isn't just about will power. Toxins are stored in fat cells so losing too fast puts a lot of pressure on the filter organs in your body to flush the toxins that are released.

Drinking lots of water, keeping sodium levels reasonable so that you don't retain water, and breaking a sweat when you exercise are all good to help get the gunk out.

But we should probably all be paying attention to the foods that are good for liver and kidney function when trying to lose weight just to make things a little easier on them.
    What kinds of foods would that include?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    1% of body should be reasonable.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Aye yeah I probably should have been more specific. If you want to lose more than 2lb a week then a decent regime of exercise and a diet tailored to cope with it's negative effects are necessary. 2lb a week is just fine for most. It's just that for me I'm prepared to make a bit of extra effort since I have so much to lose and I would like to attain my goal weight before I am 40 lol.
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight at a ridiculous rate....4 lbs a week... I look back at what it took to do that and it was extreme. My diet was severely light (this was prior to my tracking days) and if I had to guess I would say I was only doing 1000 cals a day and on top of this I was doing heavy amounts of cardio. I'm talking a min of 1.5 hours of cardio a day (I have a desk job so take that into consideration) but the cardio I was doing was stair master, running, biking, etc.

This for the most part probably was considered "unhealthy" but you can accomplish it. Was it hard? YES. Healthy? Who knows....But this comes with what you're goals are and the consequences to get there that quickly that everyone wants.

Would I do the same thing to get where I am today? YES. I've started weight lifting and am learning all the new techniques....for example I've had to tweak my routine because I'm eating in a deficit and I shouldn't be power lifting rather I should be aiming for higher reps. I've been in maintaining phase for 4 months and now want to get into a quick cut phase but more slowly this time.

Bottom line is this. It's easier and quicker for you're body to lose more weight the heavier you are. Why? You have more weight to move = more work/energy/cals to expend to do so and you're body is not used to doing such activity. Why is it harder for you to lose weight as quickly once you do? Because you have less weight to move around = less energy to expend/cals to burn and you're body is toned to perform the task.

How do you over come this (what most people consider plateau)? increase the intensity of your workout so you have to put more energy/cals into it. And this goes without saying weighing and tracking your food.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    1% of body should be reasonable.

^^This. See link for more info on the topic for details. http://evidencemag.com/fat-loss-podcast/
  • cpdiminish
    Options

What kinds of foods would that include?

I'd have to google that. I can't keep track of all of what I have read in the past.