How much can I really deadlifting?

Options
I usually do 3 sets of 8 each of regular dead lifts, Romanian, and sumo squats. I start with the regular and do a set of 75 then 85 then 95 lbs. then do the other ones with around 75 lbs.

If I wasn't doing 3 sets of eight, I'm sure I could lift more, since I'm not to failure as it is. Is there any value in going heavier for fewer reps? And what is the increased risk of injury?

Excuse my stupid grammar in the topic, please

Replies

• BlackField2
    Options
    Deadlifts are one of the few exercises where it is better to do one heavy set than do multiple sets. If you are capable of doing multiple sets of deadlifts then you are not lifting sufficiently heavy for your abilities. This is because the amount of CNS required to move all your muscles together is exceedingly high and will make you too exhausted to do multiple sets.

Doing one set for less reps will actually decrease the likelihood of injury as you will be forced to reset every rep and think about your form. With lots of reps and sets it's more likely that you'll rush them and start lifting with your back.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'll see what I can really do this week.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the answer is always more.

more deadlifts- more squats.

The average middle age woman with 6-12 months of training can clear body weight and into 200 lbs with little to no issues (outstanding medical/physical things and training being consistent)

you can dead lift a LOT of weight. 3-400 is a number seen typically by people training a little harder for power lifting.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    3x8 deadlifts on the same day as squats is a lot. I usually do 5 x 5-8 reps squats and then do DLs. For DL's, I'll do 3 or 4 progressive warm up sets of 3-5 reps and then 1 working set where I try to get 5 reps. After 1 set of DL's to failure, I'm done. At that point, I'm too exhausted to hold form on another heavy set of DL's. If you go heavy, reset after each rep, and go to failure you won't need much volume.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in here and basically say the same thing everyone else is saying with 1 slight deviation.

You shouldn't go in and lift the same weight every workout. It sounds like you generally do the same amount of weight every time based on your OP. Every day that you deadlift you should try to lift more weight or more reps at the same weight than you did the last time you deadlifted. If you go in and do the same weights every time you train then you haven't given your body a reason to adapt to the training stimulus. Your body will have adapted to your usual 3 sets of 8 reps at 95lbs and then it will have stopped adapting altogether. The only way to force more adaptation is to give it a new stimulus that requires further building of muscle or neurological connections (i.e. more weight or more reps). I hope this helped you understand the "how and why" of lifting a little better. Keep lifting and keep learning! Good luck.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You are right, I've done those weights for three weeks or so. I did do 100 one day. But I should progress. I think doing less reps will help. I'll give an update in a couple of days on how it goes.