Losing weight at the age of 50

Options
I'm one day away from turning 50 and I'm finding it very difficult to lose weight. I've been strength training for most of my adult life and I just recently started running. I am currently running 20 minutes 3 x per week. Any advice out there??

Replies

• csd81
    csd81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Being 50 makes losing weight "seem" impossible. I am not giving up because I am not happy with my physique.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You are so close to your goal weight! Those last few pounds are hard for every one.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You might have to re-evaluate your diet. That made all the difference for me when I stopped losing even though I weight train as well. Adjusting your calories and more importantly where these calories come from are the key. Read up on Macros and try adjusting them until you start to see some results (i.e. less carbs, more protein). Once you hit 50 it's like a whole new ballgame and what you eat plays a major factor in your weight loss. Keep up the weight training. If you track your food on here you can manually adjust your macros to the % that you want your daily calories to go to.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't know how fast you run, Miles per minute, but 20 minutes of running isn't going to burn a lot of calories. I weigh 163 lbs and I burn around 120 calories a mile. I run slow so I would most likely burn around 180 calories in that 20 minutes. That is not a huge deficit. Running is great and as you run longer, the calorie deficit will add up. Keep running, improving your health and yes eventually running can help take off weight. Just realize when you first start running, low mileage isn't going to burn very many calories.

By the way I am almost 46. And yes, it is much more difficult to lose weight than in your 20's and 30's. I just hope not to have to do this again in my 50's.

Best of Luck and keep going.
  • Siegeljanet
    Siegeljanet Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It may be slower losing weight after 50, but not at all impossible. Our problem is increased appetite and less energy. We don't absorb vitamines as well, so less energy, and greater appetite. I adjusted to high nutrient content, lower fat and lower carb foods. Half my plate is vegetables, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb. And, my carbs are mostly from veg, not grains. When I comply, I lose wright pretty well. Not like my 20s when losing 25 pounds took about 2 months. Now, if I lose 4 pounds a month, its as good as I can do, but its still loss. Its hard to maintain clean eating though. Our middle age bodies are less forgiving for cheats, binges and non-compliance. Its do-able, but harder.