Question about situps

Options
I just started doingcrunches/situps my own way. I do them already sitting up, lean about halfway back and come back up. Is there a name for this already, so I can enter this into my exercise log?

Replies

• TamathaS
    Options
    I saw "reverse sit ups" on the list - is that what you are doing? I don't really know...but it sounds like a good idea!
  • Ilovespyders
    Ilovespyders Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try doing sit ups on the large exercise ball, they are easier on the back
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Try doing sit ups on the large exercise ball, they are easier on the back

Oh, I'm totally fine with what I'm doing. I don't have an exercise ball. There really isn't a need for one if I'm comfortable with what I'm doing and I'm doing everything correctly. Thanks, guys!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I was taught that those are called Top Half Sit-Ups. I do them in classes a lot and then have the class pause in the down position and do a set of twists too. Just a little add on to make them tougher. :)

Reverse Sit-Ups, or Reverse Crunches, are actually pulling your legs up. You have to watch when you do Reverse's that you actually lift the hips off the floor. If you are just lifting the legs and not the hips you are working the hip flexors and not the abs. When done properly, though, Reverse's are good for hitting the rectus abdominus from the bottom angle instead of the standard top angle.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I was taught that those are called Top Half Sit-Ups. I do them in classes a lot and then have the class pause in the down position and do a set of twists too. Just a little add on to make them tougher. :)

Reverse Sit-Ups, or Reverse Crunches, are actually pulling your legs up. You have to watch when you do Reverse's that you actually lift the hips off the floor. If you are just lifting the legs and not the hips you are working the hip flexors and not the abs. When done properly, though, Reverse's are good for hitting the rectus abdominus from the bottom angle instead of the standard top angle.

I have ankle weights that lay on my feet, so my posture stays correct. And I am definitely working my abs. I felt the burn, baby. I was also throwing in something else I got creative with that I don't know what they are. I lean back about 25-30%, put my hands up like I'm blocking a punch, and lean my top half left and right. That felt really good too.