Rookie Here: Any Tips?

Options
Im 22 years old and i started about a month ago...at my highest weight, I weighed in at about 250. When I started counting calories I was at about 245....and now I am at 230 lbs. So I have seen quick results and I hope I keep shedding pounds. The only thing is I am new to this...I am a college student on a budget (which indirectly started this diet I am on because I cant affod to buy fast food or unhealthy snacks X]]) and I basically am living off of tuna sandwhiches for lunch and normally for dinner cereal with a banana. I take a daily vitamin everyday which i think is healthy lol mmm... My breakfast almost always consists of scrambled eggs, turkey frank, one waffle with strawberry jam, and a home made hash brown. I put my goal as 190 lbs but it was pretty much a number that i thought sounded good. I figured if I lose 50lbs id feel in shap but idk really...maybe I should lower it? But yeah, most of the food I buy is food I can buy in bulk for cheap and cereal, milk, eggs, turkey franks are all fairly cheap at costco. But I am looking for any suggestions for food that i can make in heft and will last in the fridge for a week or two at a cheap cost. The tuna i buy at costco costs like $12 and has lasted me a month and i still have 2 8 oz cans left...(the tuna i prepare basically as a tuna salad for a sandwhich) but yeah, im looking for something like that, which i can prepare and conveniently portion.....any other helpful tips are also appreciateddd....lets all keep up the good workk!! I didnt know that I could actually go on a diet and keep it up!

Replies

• hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Great job with your weight loss! When I was in college I was broke, too. I found dry beans and rice to be dirt cheap. If you soak the beans overnight and then boil them the next day-they usually keep in the fridge fine for a few days or freeze them to reheat later. Add them to soup, mix with rice, put in pasta, on salads, make a dip/sandwich spread etc. Vegetables are also inexpensive, filling and healthy. Buy whatever fruit is on sale. Whole grains like brown rice, oats, barley are cheap and have fiber to fill you up-you can cook a big pot and eat out of it all week, too. You've already got some other good ideas: eggs are very versatile, potatoes, cereal, milk, tuna. Keep up the good work. The people here are very kind and helpful. It sure has helped my motivation :) Best of luck to you, you can do this!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your weight loss so far! :happy: That is great! When I was broke and in college I lived off of hommus and wraps. Sometimes I'd put a wrap on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven to crisp it up a bit then spread some hommus on it, YUM! Super easy for a snack to get you through the day. Also I ate a lot of fruit on the go - although now I've had to back off of fruit quite a bit because of the carbs. I also made pasta quite a bit. That is very inexpensive. It's also very filling, I've just had to really watch the portion size.
    I wouldn't worry too much about your goal weight, sounds like you're doing great... the more I see the scale go down the more I realized how much the goal weight number doesn't matter as much. Its about being healthy and feeling healthy. I would never look good or healthy at 120lbs like some people do. I've never been a skinny gal. So, I would just keep trying to loose the weight, until you're satisfied. Maybe someday you'll be rich and famous and can afford someone to cook all your meals for you!!!! :bigsmile: