water weight question

Options
Does anyone know how much water weight it is common for us to carry around? How do you know the difference between losing your water weight and your "fat" weight (can't think of another way to describe it)?

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my aunt today about this. She's a registered dietition at UCSF. She said that for someone my size (5'6" 135 lbs) the most "fat" weight I can lose in a week is between 2-3 lbs. I gave her some background, my diet, caloric intake, amount of cardio and strength training. She said that anymore than that is either water weight or muscle loss....neither one of which I want. So, she said to keep my calories around 1500-1800 and keep up what i'm doing and i'll be back to 125 before I know it
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how much water weight it is common for us to carry around? How do you know the difference between losing your water weight and your "fat" weight (can't think of another way to describe it)?

The average person's body is 60% water. That's at a normal healthy level. And then depending on how heavy you are that can fluctuate 5 - 10 pounds either way.

Most likely the "bounces" in the weight the scale says every morning is water weight. The long term trend in what the scale says is fat loss.

Hope that's what you were looking for. :-)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Drink enough water and your body will stay hydrated. If you feel thirsty, you're already dehydrated. I think that's whats essential to know about water weight.

If you want to get more specific info on where you are, you should get a scale that can track your body composition. I'd like one but I'm broke.. :frown: