what should i do???

i had a salad for lunch but the place didnt know the cals or severings in it.It was a ham and chesse with some ranch.

Replies

• i had a salad for lunch but the place didnt know the cals or severings in it.It was a ham and chesse with some ranch.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    I know it is a pain, but most individual ingredients can be found in the database, so you can add them individually. Or, go to your refrigerator and see what you may have that is comparable and estimate. Try to be as honest as possible. This has been a very helpful tool for me, because in the past I have always thought that a little snack here or there wasn't much, when in fact they add up to alot.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I agree with time2wrk. I often find myself adding items individually. Mostly because I begin with a basic salad and start adding things.

Eve
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I used to be in the restaurant biz, and for a typical chef salad - say in a 10-inch bowl - 2 ounces each of the different meats, 2 ounces each of the cheeses. 3 ounces of salad mix - or 2.5 cups( just use the info for "FreshExpress" in the database for the mix ) - and generally 3 ounces of dressing.

FYI: all restaurants use strict portion control - it's how they keep their food cost at a steady $$$ figure.
    Ask your server to ask the kitchen what the portions are. Servers work for tips, and a good one will have no problem getting that info for you- if they don't, ask to see the manager. Servers need to learn about hospitality - and that's how they learn.

The kitchen workers know the portions - if not, ask to talk to the manager on duty. With all the competition in the restaurant field, if they don't bend over backwards for you, they don't deserve your business. Just a tip from a past (15-year) restaurant worker. (TGI Friday's)

~cm
  • sturge161
    sturge161 Posts: 37 Member
    Another site I use which has a lot of good calorie info for restaurants is Calorie King.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/

Once in a while, they won't have something for a place I have been so then I use my best guesses and err on the side of more calories than less. I hope this helps!