Daily calorie goals?

Options
jessie62993
jessie62993 Posts: 27 Member
Hello! I was wondering what everyone's daily caloric goals are? Do you ever feel like its too much or not enough? My goal is 1200 calories a day and I always feel like I am cutting it close (even on the days that I exercise!)

Replies

• mc_hudd
    mc_hudd Posts: 47
    Options
    My intake is set at 1520, but gets adjusted throughout the day by my Fitbit. I've been going over (with exercise) the last few days, but I'm blaming it on the holiday weekend. The rest of this week should be much better. Fingers crossed!
  • jessie62993
    Options
    My intake is set at 1520, but gets adjusted throughout the day by my Fitbit. I've been going over (with exercise) the last few days, but I'm blaming it on the holiday weekend. The rest of this week should be much better. Fingers crossed!

This Easter weekend was horrible for me food wise! I was happy for the fresh start today!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 1600 as my minimum. So... it's my goal to go over. I want to get over 1600 but under 1700, but maybe higher on a hard day. I try to hit my protein macro, and my fat, but that is still a work in progress. Most days, I feel like the 1600-1700 is good. But on a hard day, I feel like I need more (hungry, lethargic, headache) so I have some extra yogurt or fruit or whatever. Puts me over that 1700, but I'm ok with it to feel good.

*Edited for using the wrong word!
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    1600-something is my goal (started at 1800). Most of the time I shoot for 100 under or so. Sometimes i slip and go over. But it's my happy zone as far as weight loss. When I was at 1200, the weight wouldn't budge.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Lots of folk new to calorie counting set 1200 as their first goal, I did too, then when I felt terrible and wasn't loosing weight and started to read up I realised that I was doing it all wrong.

My current daily goal is 1520 + excercise. I'm feeling a lot better on it. As I loose I'm getting more active and I'm reviewing my calorie target every 1kg loss or so. I do go through mini slumps like everyone (weightloss is not linear) when the weight doesn't drop (but usually the inches do) and then i'll get a rather sudden drop in weight (with static measurements).

Good luck with your journey.
  • jessie62993
    Options
    Lots of folk new to calorie counting set 1200 as their first goal, I did too, then when I felt terrible and wasn't loosing weight and started to read up I realised that I was doing it all wrong.

My current daily goal is 1520 + excercise. I'm feeling a lot better on it. As I loose I'm getting more active and I'm reviewing my calorie target every 1kg loss or so. I do go through mini slumps like everyone (weightloss is not linear) when the weight doesn't drop (but usually the inches do) and then i'll get a rather sudden drop in weight (with static measurements).

Good luck with your journey.

Okay so I have been using 1200 as my daily caloric intake for some time now. I have seen results with it, but it is very difficult to stick to! So today I exercised and burned 250 calories and I ate back all of those calories which left with 7 calories left for the entire day. So overall I ate around 1400 calories. But my net calories was still about 1200....is this what you are talking about with your 1500 calories + exercise? I really want to see consistent results and I will tweak my caloric intake if I know the proper way to do it!

5862238.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    by 1520 + excercise I meant I eat 1520 and I eat back my excercise calories

1200 should always be an absolute minimum NET never a maximum unless you are dieting under the direct and regular supervision of a doctor

you will not see consistent results if my consistent you mean fixed loss per day, weight loss is not linear, you will see progress over time as a trend, becasue of this and human tendency to obsess and stress over numbers, most people seem to recommend weighing and measuring regularly at set intervals (eg. weekly) and at fixed conditions (time/place/clothing), there will be times where you loose faster and others slower especially around certain times in your cycle - this is normal
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    This is something I have been struggling with since I started my weight loss journey.

I originally started on 1200, and I did ok for the first few weeks, but once I started exercising, I realised 1200 was way too low, and I was always hungry.

So I've bumped it up to 1800 now, but I'm not sure if that is too much. I am also not sure If I am meant to eat back calories I have burnt off at the gym.

I have had no weight loss at all since I started over a month ago, even though I eat healthy and work out, and for 2-3 weeks I was in a huge calorie deficit. I have lost an inch off w=my waist and gain obvious muscle, and people tell me I look slimmer, however I am really worried and disheartened that I have not lost any weight, I am not sure what to do :/
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    the problem we all have is that all the calories we track from food and excercise are estimates - packet values are based on sample testing, and when we enter things in the diary we often pick from the list, most of us over-estimate burns and under-estimate consumption, and being accurate (weighing, checking entries and being consistent) helps a lot for food/drinks, for excercise, using several calorie calculators and picking hte lowest burn value may help too

so everything we track is a best guess even if we use hrms and check the back of packets (in some jurisdictions the accuracy allowed on packets is supprisingly low)

if you're getting slimmer and leaner then that's great

it better for me to monitor weight and measurements, many people also take photos (not my thing), but my tracking more than just weight, we can see progress more often this may well work for you too

like you the 1200 seemed to work for me for a while - I did lose weight (maybe water weight) but I wasn't able to meet my targets in the pool or on hte bike, I was tired, growchy, my periods went all over the place .... all in all it wasn't a good idea, and i'm far happier now that I have re-set to a heathier if slower loss target

it is recommended that you re-do your goals in mfp or TDEE every 5lb loss or so

the key is to find what works for you though - while keeping an eye on your health

I calculate using the mfp method - with a target (now) of 0.25kg per week and sedentary activity levels, I track and eat back calories
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    That seems like a good way to track everything.

Thing I am worried about is the fact that I have lost no weight at all, not even water weight, and its been over a month. I make sure to overestimate the calories I take in and underestimate what I burn, and I work out at least 3 times a week for at least an hour, last week I worked out for 6 hours in total.

And besides the new biceps I have and a slightly slimmer waist, I haven't noticed a difference.

Could it be something else that is preventing my weight loss?
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    You diary isn't open so details will be dificult.

Are you weighing everything as I initially found that my "over-estimations" were way out.
    I would really endorse getting and using a food scale if you haven't/don't already.

It's all hte little bits that really add up, the cooking fats, teh fruit juice and fruit, milk and sugar in hot drinks, snaks throughthe day.
    Cups are just not that accurate.

How long you work out isn't really a useful measure, what matters is the effort that you put in over that time. MFP only tracks exercise time and this can be very inacurate.
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    How do I open my diary?

Also I do have and use a food scale at almost every meal. I don't drink milk as I am lactose intolerant and I don't have any sugar or artificial sweetenrs in my teas, and I usually only drink green tea.

I generally go really hard when I work out, a good 30/60 mins is cardio, in intervals, usuall 15 at the start and 15 at the end, mixed in with weights, squats, and core building excersises, and machines and weights to work my arms, I then usually stretch for the last 10-15 mins of my work out.

As far as I know, I do everything correct, so im really concerned since its been over a month with no solid results.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Mine is 2000. I couldn't do 1200. I'd be one tired and angry %$%^@. I'd suggest you eat more. If you feel like it's not enough that means it isn't. Check out your TDEE.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    How do I open my diary?

Also I do have and use a food scale at almost every meal. I don't drink milk as I am lactose intolerant and I don't have any sugar or artificial sweetenrs in my teas, and I usually only drink green tea.

I generally go really hard when I work out, a good 30/60 mins is cardio, in intervals, usuall 15 at the start and 15 at the end, mixed in with weights, squats, and core building excersises, and machines and weights to work my arms, I then usually stretch for the last 10-15 mins of my work out.

As far as I know, I do everything correct, so im really concerned since its been over a month with no solid results.

How heavy are the weights you are lifting and how many reps are you doing? Are you taking measurements other than the scale? If not, do that for a month to determine whether you are really having stagnant results or not.

Also read this and from here determine how much you should be eating:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    I think I just figured out how to unprivate my diary, have a look, keep in mind this Easter weekend I went a little crazy with the food thing.
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    for my arms I do about 3x10 at 15-25kgs on each exercise,

Squats I do about 8kgs on top of my body weight, and for my legs I generally have about 15- 25 kg of 3x10s aswell.

I do take measurements of my waist only, but maybe I should measure other places too to see results? I'm not sure how exactly it will work.

it just worries me because everyone has said the first month is when you lose a tonne of weight, whether its water weight or not, and I just haven't :/
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    I think I just figured out how to unprivate my diary, have a look, keep in mind this Easter weekend I went a little crazy with the food thing.

What is your height, weight and activity level?

You seem hit or miss. Either you're way over or you're too low. At 1500 calories, you should be hitting your calorie goal and maybe only going 200 over (but that's my judgement not knowing anything else about you other than your calorie goal).
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    The biggest thing I can say from looking at your diary is that you're eating back your exercise and you shouldn't be. You could probably stand to up your calories a bit depending on your height and weight and don't eat back your exercise using MFP's method unless you burn 500 calories or more you should eat back half.

If you use the TDEE method, you wouldn't do that. You'd eat the same amount of calories everyday as exercise is already accounted for.
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    What is the TDEE method?

I am 170 cms tall, i'm 75kgs and I'm moderately active. I've always been quite heavy even though I don't look it, I will update my photo and show you what I mean. I know I don't look plump, but weighing 75kgs makes me feel it.

I have been pretty bad this past week, dues to only changing from 1200 upwards in the last week and a half, so I've binged a little and worked it back off at the gym, honestly I put in what I plan to eat for the day, add in anything extra I consume, and then add In my exercise for the day, so usually I don't realise I've eaten back calories, I've eaten them first and then burnt off whatever amount.

I found as soon as I decided to up my calories I've been going crazy with cravings. I'm actually a little concerned I may be pregnant due to the amount of food I normally wont touch that I now crave and the amount of food I want, as I usually have a pretty small appetite.

So the last week and a half hasn't been the best example, but the weeks before are what I would usually be like.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    What is the TDEE method?

I am 170 cms tall, i'm 75kgs and I'm moderately active. I've always been quite heavy even though I don't look it, I will update my photo and show you what I mean. I know I don't look plump, but weighing 75kgs makes me feel it.

I have been pretty bad this past week, dues to only changing from 1200 upwards in the last week and a half, so I've binged a little and worked it back off at the gym, honestly I put in what I plan to eat for the day, add in anything extra I consume, and then add In my exercise for the day, so usually I don't realise I've eaten back calories, I've eaten them first and then burnt off whatever amount.

I found as soon as I decided to up my calories I've been going crazy with cravings. I'm actually a little concerned I may be pregnant due to the amount of food I normally wont touch that I now crave and the amount of food I want, as I usually have a pretty small appetite.

So the last week and a half hasn't been the best example, but the weeks before are what I would usually be like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

I don't know how you could ever be sustainable off 1200 calories. I'd be HANGRY all the time!!!