Med's and weight loss

Options
Does anybody else have to take medicine that interferes with your weight loss? or metabolism?
If so, do you know any way to overcome this problem? The medicine I take really affects my weight. Makes it nearly IMPOSSIBLE to lose any. I'm only maintaining my weight now, I have not lost any or gained any in months.

I walk every day on the treadmill for an hour to use 400 calories, sometimes ride my bike. I used to only walk 1/2 hour, and use only 230 calories per day, but two weeks ago I changed it to an hour.

I could probably eat a lot more healthier too but I stay under my calories just about every day. I may go over once a month, if that. My sugar is ALWAYS over. My salt intake is ALWAYS under. Everything else is fine.

I drink 8 glasses of water every day.

From past experience I've learned that as soon as I stop taking my med's the weight falls off very easily. But I can not stop taking them right now.

Any idea's? help! I need to lose at least 50 more lbs to be a healthy weight!

Replies

• ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    The majority of my meds affect weight loss and generally encourage weight gain. The biggest thing that I have found is 1) talking to my doctor about my concerns 2) eating healthy/balanced meals 3) lots of water and 4) working with my dr to adjust meds as my weight changes. It's tough but doable, good luck!
  • LinnPitt
    Options
    a few of my meds have the side effect of weight gain. mostly my meds for diabetes. I got back on my meds last year right after getting married. immediately gained 30 pounds (or more) since joining this site I have managed to start dropping that back off and plan on finally losing all of my extra weight. feel free to send me a friend request if you want to talk about it further. I am always up for support and encouragement. especially if we have something in common we can help eachother with.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I hate people wh pretend to be Doctors, so I won's do that, I will just tell you my story. I worked out since I was 14. I always ran,lifted weights or just did bodyweight workouts. I was in great shape even past my 40th birthday, at 43 I got hurt had 3 back surgeries and gained 45lbs. I told you all this to let you know, I know my body and know how food/fitness have always affected me.

When I finally got off my duff and stopped feeling sorry for myself I went back to working out. I was working out VERY hard and not losing a pound. I was always tired and didn't seem to be gaining anything from my exercise. I went to my doctor and she did a blood test and I found out I have hypothyroidism which is why I couldn't lose the weight, but with the right drug I am back on track and have lost 25 of the 45lbs I gained.

So maybe a blood test at your next Dr's visit? Like I said, I'm no Docotr, just my personal experience
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I am going to make a dr. apt. Monday to see if I should get a flu shot and a pnemonia vaccine because I seem to get pnemonia this time of year and I DO NOT want to get it this year (daughter's wedding in 2 weeks). I will talk to her about hypothyroidism and see what she says.
    My medical insurance is not very good so I don't think I'm going to get to far with that though.
    I feel lucky to get a flu shot.
    I quit smoking April 1, and I haven't had a cigarette since then. For this I feel very very thankful. Now if only I could tackle this weight thing!

Plus, I am 50 years old(well, 55 to be exact but whose counting? lol) so that could be a big reason why I can't lose weight too, right?
    Also, I have never had a weight problem in my life. I could eat a whole pizza and not have to worry too much. (sickening, I know). But now it is the total opposite. ahh, to be young again!

Thank you again.