About to Beat Down Menopause...Join Me!

Options
Ahhh.. another morning trying to get myself pumped up to exercise. I keep thinking "what's the use??" I'm killing myself at the gym but I'm not losing much weight. I must focus on the fact that I am finally beginning to feel better. I never really listened to the argument that exercising can boost mood, I believe that now. When my Dr. told me I was peri menopausal, I just knew everything would go downhill. I let her diagnosis be my excuse to gain weight and stop watching my diet. My excuse for gaining was I'm peri menopausal...yes, it played with my mind!

I gained 10 pounds and that was REAL. I have always been a hot, young looking grandma and I want to continue to be that way. Becoming a vegetarian years ago after a lifetime of eating meat was a GOOD move. So why am I debating if I can get up and go to the gym...Hmmm.

Well I don't debate long :) there really is no option for me, I Must Go!...So, I'm off! This 10 pounds will be gone like....POOF!... whatever it takes :) Except... I'm against any hormone replacements so this will be HARD!

Let's Go Get Em!

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, sister-- I'm 46 and gained 20 pounds this year, eating 1400 calories daily and exercising faithfully. Doctors tell me there's nothing wrong?? Peri-menopause??? Who knows-- but I'm fighting with everything in me.

Head to that gym and kick some butt-- good for you.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Sounds like you talked yourself into it...good for you! You have great reasons, with feeling better emotionally a big one. IT is hard to get myself out the door to exercise, but I am ALWAYS glad I did cause I do always feel better.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    We can do this! I am against HRT as well, but these hot flashes are ridiculous sometimes! Other than that, I feel better than I've ever felt in my life. I got serious about this weight thing a little over a year ago, so I am going to turn 50 later this month being 30 pounds lighter than I've been in a very long time. That's the best birthday present I could ever give myself. It really can be done with if you have the determination and persistence to stick with it consistently. I am happy to join you in the menopause beatdown!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! I gained 10 pounds a year for the last 5 years. I'm 48 and weight loss does not drop off at the flip of a switch for me anymore. It's hard slow progress. But I am feeling better and better instead of worse and worse. It is worth it. Get up and go!
  • supico1
    supico1 Posts: 34
    Options
    That's right!! Got to keep fighting. Some people told me to accept it, that I would be heavier than I have been.
    I will NEVER just accept it. I think if we make small changes in diet and exercise we can gain control!
  • supico1
    Options
    @PJilly You look Great! Healthy and strong. How long have you been working out with weights?
  • supico1
    Options
    @Marla64 Sometimes Dr's just don't know. Mine told me the same...at first. I know my body and knew it was
    definitely changing.
  • PJilly
    Options
    @PJilly You look Great! Healthy and strong. How long have you been working out with weights?
    Thank you! Off and on, for almost 30 years, but there was a lot of "off" time in there after getting married and having babies. But my babies are 18 and 15 now, and I've been working out pretty consistently for the last 2 1/2 years, with a pretty big setback a little over a year ago when my dad got very sick and passed away. That was my wake-up call to get back to working out regularly AND getting serious with my food, and it was the food part that really made it all start coming together.
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A blood test can detect the menopause. I used to be the same about HRT but I had no choice but to go on it. I tried everything to avoid taking it but there came a time I could not perform a simple task. In the end I had to have a full hysterectomy and this was the best thing ever. Go as long as you can but do not suffer.
  • VickieMW
    VickieMW Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Don't suffer because you don't have all the information. I get hot flashes all the time, or I did until I went to see a doctor who know about natural remidies for menopause. I never wanted to take Premerin (don't know how to spell correctly). Premerin is made from horse urine. No kidding. I wanted to go natural. I have a cream that I put on every night that has estrogen and progestern in it and keeps me from killing anyone (mood swings) low energy, hot flashes and all the other systems. Not all doctors know or care about natural hormones. YOU have to take control of your health care. Okay here is a book that saved me: The Hormone Survival Guide for Perimenopause by Nisha Jackson, Ph.D. The book has save many women in the office I work in. Please check it out and keep working out! You are doing good. Vickie
  • PJilly
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Vickie. I think I'll be checking that book out soon!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Oh my this is the thread for me...helps just knowing that there are others struggling the same as I. I am 44...I have worked out faithfully for over 2 1/2 years...I have changed my diet so many times...I drive myself crazy! The weight is sticking to me like glue. I will say the hot flashes have been better the past few months....and the migraines are not near as severe. I believe hormones are a big role...but I am so at a loss as what to start first. The Doc put me on the pill...and I am now hearing that might not be such a good idea! I have had all the blood work and tests done earlier this year...everything came back "Normal"...but I know things are not normal.
    I've upped my calories ( told I wasn't eating enough)..I re-set my metabolism..(gained 10 pounds)....low carb, low sugar, dairy restrictions...I have tried everything and I may lose 1 pound a month...it is very hard to stay motivated..the only help is that I do love to exercise and I love the " feel good" feelings I get...it is pretty much habit for me to get at least 60 minutes daily....but I still have about 50 pounds to loose and I am getting really tired of trying ...... I am going to look for this book and see if there is something in it for me...
    Thanks for listening
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hey Debra, happy to see you here!

Marla, that is scary!!! The doctors have no idea? I mean, come on! I know that our metabolism slows but that is ridiculous. :noway:

I am 46 and for the last 5 years have slowly taken off about 60 pounds. Prior to that I was putting on 10 pounds a year. So the way I figure it, although 10# per year is slow...if I balance that with what I was gaining, it is really like avoiding 20# per year as I would now be 50 pounds heavier!!! Think about that for a bit!

Admittedly, my body will never be the same nor are my goals the same as when I was 20. Sad:ohwell:

thanks Vicki for the info!

Let's go girls!! We can be stronger than menopause! :laugh:

D
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    The hot flashes kicked in for me three years ago at 45. I suffered very severe migraines, terrible hot flashes and worse - night sweats. I went months and months without a full night's sleep and it really took a toll on me - I gained weight and was so tired from lack of sleep that I gained 20 pounds. I'm also against HRT. A friend of mine recommended something called EstroLogic. It's a natural remedy formulated by a female gynecologist and a female herbalist. A few days after I began taking EstroLogic, I *finally* started sleeping through the night with no sweats and the hot flashes calmed some. The flashes, I could deal with, but the loss of sleep was just killing me - I was so exhausted that I absolutely could not function!

Once the sleep was back under control, I started working on my weight gain. I was able to drop 10 lbs. with diet and cardio, but that last bit just wouldn't budge. Then I read a report stating that after the age of 30, you begin to lose muscle at a rate of 5% every decade unless you do something about it - an excerpt on Dr. Oz's website took it a bit further and said that not only do you lose muscle but if you don't do something to counter act it and rebuild the muscle, you will need to begin eating 150 to 450 fewer calories daily every decade or you will gain fat!! That's when the light bulb went on!! I'm a single parent and can't take time or money out to join a gym, so I started doing the ChaLEAN Extreme program at home instead which has you lifting weights 3 times per week, plus cardio and now - finally - that lower belly has begun to budge! I've dropped down 3.5 percentage points in body fat - so far! I've also cleaned up the eating, a LOT. Menopause sucks, no doubt about it - but there's no reason why we still can't have lean smoking hot bodies! Hope this info helps?

Just as an aside, I've been able to stop taking the EstroLogic for the last six months, so things are finally tapering down in the hot flash/night sweats department. My migraines aren't nearly as severe, either - took me three years to get there, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel - a very loooooonnnnnngggg tunnel for sure! :)

Michelle
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    This thread is really up my alley. I too am against HRT and have gained about 30lbs since menopause. It was as if life changed and I wasn't given the rules. Anyway, as far as exercise, I go to a fitness bootcamp 3x's a week at 5:30 in the morning. It is very challenging and I am a lot stronger than I was a year ago. However, I thought that I could just start exercising (something I never had to do before) and the weight would drop off...wrong. So, the last year I have been able to maintain my weight....better than continuing to gain but not where I want to be. I found this site about 3 weeks agao and I am amazed how really tracking calories can help. I am down about 3lbs which is a big deal for me...usually the scale only goes int he other direction. So, I think I need both the diet and exercise to lose those unwanted lbs. Have a healthy day.
  • mummykin
    Options
    o.m g just reading what you all wrote it,s as if you are all talking about me. I,m 49 and i know I must be piri menopause (i think i will see my doc to comfirm this) I have night sweats and real problems sleeping ,i,m so tired and so i have no desire to work out even though when i did i felt so good .I find it so much harder to lose weight now for the last three to four years i tried all sorts of weight classes and gym and just gave up because of the slow progress (plus the money) that why i,m glad i was told about this site.I can work at my own pase and every one is so helpful and its free. I would like to start with over the counter herbal med has any one tried them and do they help. I will look out for EstroLogic.and also for the book
    With all this info i am willing to work at it ,we can all beat the menopause with help!
  • supico1
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the post. I'm gonna look into the EstroLogic. I know I need to get my diet in check so that's what
    I'm doing now. I constantly have headaches, I wonder if that has to do with the Peri M..Hmmm
  • supico1
    Options
    @DayAtATime OMG! You go to a bootcamp!! I have always wanted to do that! That is exciting to me!
  • supico1
    Options
    Don't suffer because you don't have all the information. I get hot flashes all the time, or I did until I went to see a doctor who know about natural remidies for menopause. I never wanted to take Premerin (don't know how to spell correctly). Premerin is made from horse urine. No kidding. I wanted to go natural. I have a cream that I put on every night that has estrogen and progestern in it and keeps me from killing anyone (mood swings) low energy, hot flashes and all the other systems. Not all doctors know or care about natural hormones. YOU have to take control of your health care. Okay here is a book that saved me: The Hormone Survival Guide for Perimenopause by Nisha Jackson, Ph.D. The book has save many women in the office I work in. Please check it out and keep working out! You are doing good. Vickie

I ordered the book from Amazon...Can't wait to get it!!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You can find the EstroLogic in most health food stores. I ordered online from swansonvitamins.com because it was nearly half the price as our local health food store. I gotta tell you - I was so grateful just to be able to sleep again! There are several women in my office taking EstroLogic - it sure helped me!

As to the headaches - mine always showed up at that time of the month, but they were so bad sometimes that all I could do was lay in a dark room and cry! I went to many doctors about it who would not believe me that it was related to my period and it took finally finding an article in Prevention magazine about Serena Williams having the same problem to get a doctor to help. I still have them from time to time, but not nearly so often and definitely not nearly so severe.