Lunch Ideas 400-500 cals

Options
2»

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat leftovers, but often I make a batch of food to last me 4 days for work (I eat out one day a week usually)

My favorites in the 500 calorie range (all homemade):

tacos
    enchiladas verdes or with poblano cream sauce - possibly with black beans or guacamole
    chicken & veggie tikka masala with basmati rice or whole wheat pita bread
    chili
    white chicken chili
    chicken taco soup
    "tapas" type plate with pita bread, hummus, maybe some cheese, fruit, boiled eggs, peppers, etc.
    pasta with meat sauce or lasagna with a side salad
    2 toasted pita bread, then add a slice of pepperjack cheese inside and melt for a few seconds, with a bowl of tomato soup

SALADS:
    huge chicken caesar salad (I use fresh grated parm and full fat dressing for this - so much more flavor and the higher fat dressing makes it more filling, IMO)
    taco salad
    honey mustard chicken salad (grilled chicken, honey mustard dressing, bell peppers, red onion, tomato, cheese, etc.)
    asian cole slaw salad (shredded cabbage blend, peanut ginger dressing, cilantro, white onion, grilled chicken - I love this with jerk seasoned chicken)
  • kpennuell
    Options
    Mac and Cheese Cupcakes with Spinach??? I need to know more. Where would I find this recipe?
  • Dallymomma
    Options
    This is a great website. Thanks for sharing.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I pick a protein (or combination of them) and then I add a truck load of raw veggies and/or fruits. I love to eat like that. My work lunches are my favorite meal. It gives me yummy stuff in great quantity and I'm all about quantity :D

some proteins I like are chicken breast (made ahead of time - and I happen to like cold chicken so it works great), tuna, tuna salad, boiled eggs, bunch of pumpkin seeds on a spinach salad, cottage cheese, deli meat, string cheese, black beans with salsa mixed in.

Once in awhile I'll make sandwiches especially if I'll be eating in the car. I like them a lot I just usually avoid the bread calories at lunch time to save them for supper. I love soup and sometimes bring that but I usually eat all the hot foods at supper time so pack the fresh cold lunch.

For snacks I usually have fruit or recently become kind of addicted to protein bars. So much like a candy bar, lol. I don't actually think those things are a great option - gonna try and hold off on buying any more when current stash is gone. A greek yogurt would probably be better.

My lunches are almost always under 500 calories.
  • sphillips7143
    sphillips7143 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili is always good and is very filling. I also eat tuna fish or a greek yogurt and some rotisserie chicken for lunch.
  • Flodoe
    Flodoe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love corn tortilla tacos, burritos, and rolups.I don't like sandwiches either. I like to prepare ahead marinated chicken , lean beef, or lean pork marinated in equal parts fresh lime or lemon juice and olive oil (or any veggie oil) plus garlic, salt and pepper. You could use 3 parts lime and 1 part oil instead. You can add a hot pepper powder spice if you like.For chicken, leave in marinade for about an hour, beef and pork 5-8 hrs. If you like the marinade stronger, cut the meat in strips before marinating instead of after. It's best if you bbq. It's also very good sauteed with onions and green peppers. Add chopped hot peppers if you like. I like to make a big batch in advance and have a fajitas dinner with chopped fresh tomato, onion,green pepper, and cilantro. Squeeze lime on it plus hot sauce and/or salsa. I freeze leftovers in divided portions to grab and go. If you save just the meat, you can add whatever veggies, beans, and rice you want when you make your lunch and its good plain, too. Cheese is good and sometimes I melt it on the tortilla or add cold. If you sauteed it with the onion and process, it's even easier for lunch. All you need is your meat packet. To warm for lunch, heat meat first and tortilla separate for about 5 or so seconds on high. You can also use a no or low fat wheat tortilla but I like the fiber and taste of corn tortillas and it feels and looks like you get more. Mission tortillas split less than other brands. It's best with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime but it's God all by itself. Add whatever cold veggies you want, even corn, lettuce and beans. Don't stuff the tortillas. Make it so it's easy to eat. This sounds harder than it is, but it's easy and quick if prepared ahead, especially if you use the meat for a dinner.
  • Godan2b
    Godan2b Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My meal almost everyday at work so that I can stay on track:
    2 slices Roma wheat bread
    3-4oz. smoked chicken deli meat
    1 lettuce leaf
    1 red onion slice
    1 bag of special K cracker chips

usually come in around 350 calories depending on the amount of deli meat that I use.
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    I've been making flatbread "pizzas". I stick a flatbread in my toaster oven and crisp it up a little, then spread on a good slab of refried beans, followed up by shredded mozzarella, sometimes shredded chicken breast, and whatever veggies I have, which is usually bell pepper, mushrooms, onions, and always some sliced jalapeno! Then, back in the oven 'til the cheese starts browning. It comes to around 450 calories, and over 30 grams of protein without the chicken. You're welcome to peek at my diary!
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Homemade vegetarian burritos -- I make them in batches of 10 and freeze them for my husband to take to work. They reheat in 4 minutes from frozen, 2 minutes if they're not frozen:

1 can of vegetarian refried beans
    1 can of pinto beans
    2 cans of no salt added black beans
    1 bag (2 cups) of shredded four-cheese blend
    1 container (1.5 cups) of pico de gallo
    10 flour burrito tortillas

Mix the black beans and pinto beans together and rinse. Then divide up all of the ingredients evenly and assemble :)

Comes out to 427 calories per burrito.

You can sub shredded chicken or ground turkey, chicken, or beef taco meat for one of the cans of black beans and it won't affect the calories much.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I usually don't snack and aim for a lunch right within that calorie range. I do like curries and things, but somewhat like you I am not crazy about traditional salads or sandwiches. A few favorites for me are briefly described below. I also think lunch is a great time to have something sweet like fruit or a square of chocolate (usually Ghirardelli dark varieties ~60 cal/square).

crab and/or avocado nachos (10-12 white tortilla chips, 1 oz shredded cheese, salsa, green onion, chopped imitation crab and/or half an avocado, chopped)

wrap - large tortilla spread with hummus, then filled with black beans, carrot sticks, avocado, lemon juice, edamame & tons of baby spinach

shrimp po'boy salad...lettuce with popcorn shrimp on top and remoulade (homemade or prepared) and sliced red onion. With or without some sort of baguette. Not the healthiest, but still low cal and different from a traditional lunch salad IMO.

lentils cooked soup-style - I don't know if this would be too creamy for you, probably not based on your post. My husband works magic on green or brown lentils with tons of spices...great leftovers, too.

rice bowls with any leftover vaguely Mexican or southwest type ingredients. I like it best with brown rice, bell peppers and onions sautéed fajita-style the night before (reheated or cold), pinto or black beans, lettuce & salsa. You can also add Greek yogurt or sour cream, but I usually leave it off because I'd rather have chocolate or fruit, as I mentioned above ;-)

veggie burger patties with lettuce chopped on top of it and any type of sauce or dressing used sparingly...goes well w/ raw veggies dipped in hummus. Great with falafel chips or other types of cracker/pita things if you like.