Bouncing Back after illness...ideas needed please!

Nikki_Marz
Nikki_Marz Posts: 35
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
One of the things I've noticed in the past is that a few days of being ill, tend to be a great weightloss solution. Have the flu? Drop an easy couple of pounds. But the problem seems to be that as soon as you're back to being healthy, you gain it all back because of the lack of nutrients your body had while ill. Often times I've found that I gain back more than I initially lost anyway which means in the end, illness is very bad for weightloss!
This time I wanted to see if there were ideas out there to combat the gaining back of all that lost weight and thensome when recovering from an illness.
A week ago I got a toothache, thought nothing of it but didnt eat on that side of my mouth. As the days progressed so did the pain and my food intake became less and less and more liquid. I discovered on friday that I had a tooth abscess/infection which has now basically swollen half my face. At the moment the only way I can 'eat' is by what I can drink through a straw.
I've lost over 8 pounds in the last 7 days. I understand that when I am better I'm going to gain back a bunch of that last weight (and I'm okay with that, I'd rather lose weight the healthy way than this way any day!), but I'm worried about gaining back more than I lost.

Any ideas on how to come out of an illness such as this and ensure you dont gain more than you're supposed to back?
I appreciate it!

Replies

• Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    I'm not really sure how it works with flu and stuff but I suffer from Angioedema. My airways swell up pretty much without warning and I am pretty poorly when it happens. I've not noticed my weight going up and down as I don't weigh in, but I do tend to up my exercise once I am feeling better xxx
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I really doubt you'll gain back more than you've lost. You might gain back a few pounds, but I'd almost bet not more than 4-6. I just had my gallbladder taken out, so the week of my surgery I didn't have anything to eat (because I had gastritis too... Which was almost like having the end of a stomach flu). I lost 7 pounds that week and 4 pounds the next; haven't gained back any of it... until I had a cheat day yesterday and today, lol. :)
This discussion has been closed.