Good starting weight to lift with?

Hi all, I'm about to start lifting and I'm a complete noob! I'd basically like to know what is a good/standard weights to start with... My fitness goals are to lose another 20lb and to tone up my whole body, especially my triceps and my butt! My ultimate aim is to get a squat butt :wink:
To be honest, I have no idea where to start - I guess I'll go to the gym a few times to learn technique and then purchase weights and equipment so I can train at home. However, I have no idea what is a good starting weight for squats, lifts etc... I'm fairly strong though if that helps (I know it's hard to quantify 'fairly strong'). Can anyone give me an average starting weight or is it just a case of trial and error to find a weight that's challenging enough but not too heavy?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    If you are trying to tone, I think that a lot of instructors recommend a weight that allows you to do 3 sets of 16 repetitions. Play trial and error until you get this. If it is too easy/difficult, move the weight up/down accordingly.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    I started with:

Squats 15 lb kettlebell or dumbbell
    Overhead presses 10 lb dumbbells in each hand
    Step ups 15lb dumbbells in each hand

For the most part, start at a relatively low weight so you can focus more on your form. Then when you are comfortable and you believe you can increase, you can.

If you start too heavy, even if you think you can handle more, you may push too much and get too sore. Then you won't want to go back again. Doing the exercises the right way is more important when starting out than lifting too heavy and not doing them correctly or hurting yourself.

You might want to read up on beginning weight training. Here is a link to one series of articles. I've just started reading them. He's pretty straight talk. Scroll through the pages until you find the articles for Beginning Weight Training.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/category/training/weight-training
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Start low and keep increasing until you feel you start pushing yourself. You do not want feeling comfortable doing 50 rep sets (unless you are doing circuit training or mix with cardio and not focusing on weight lifting) and you do not want feeling exhausted after the first 2 reps either. If you are completely new to this, focus on form first, and then on increasing weight.
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    I think it depends on what is heavy for you. When I started out just using my bodyweight or 2lb dumbbells was a challenge during workout videos like Jillian Michaels 30DS etc. After a few months I felt stronger and went up to 6lb dumbbells and another few months later I am using 11lb dumbbells and doing more challenging body weight moves. From using these weights and working out 2-3 times a week over a period of about 9 months I have seen a big change in my body composition, muscles and general strength. You can get lots of inexpensive sets of dumbbells online, might be worth getting a set and just trying them out to see what sort of weights you are comfortable with.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    I'd say you should find someone to help you for a few sets. I don't think anyone here can guess what you can lift without watching you or assessing you in person. I'm no expert as I just started learning yesterday with someone. Yesterday we did about 6 different things to gauge more or less where I was at for ability to lift and I learned some basic proper form. What I was told is that we learn form first and then next session we'll look for my failure rate....to find the weight I can do for 8-12 reps with the proper form. I should just barely be able to do the final rep. That's not heavy lifting, though as I understand that should be only 5. I'm just learning, so maybe I'll work up to that.

My main concern was learning form as the last thing I want to do is hurt myself, so I thought it best I have someone teach me form and then I can go out on my own after.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    empty bar if you are using barbells except DL which is suggested at 90lbs