Under Calorie Goal, and ran 3.3 miles. Still gained, why?!

Options
Okay, this isn't the first time this has happened, but I can't figure it out. I weigh myself at about the same time every day, so it shouldn't be a time of day difference.

Anyway, my calorie goal is 1240. I ate 1130 yesterday, and I did a run on the treadmill for 3.3 miles in 30 minutes. I was at a 3.0 incline as well.

Yesterday I weighed 179.9, today I weighed 182.7.

What the!? Anybody have any ideas what the deal is?

Here is my food diary for yesterday, and according to fitbit - my exercise was 300 calories burned.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/damcoole?date=2014-04-21

Replies

• thirtyfour1
    thirtyfour1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sodium will do it every time. I try to keep mine low, because when I eat a lot, I don't know if I'm retaining water or what... but I always goes up when I overkill on the salt.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates daily, so it means nothing. Focus on what happens weekly or monthly, not on a daily level.
    Your sodium intake could explain what you see.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Most people are going to slide up and down every day. That's why it's suggested that you only weight yourself once a week...or if you want to weight every day, don't look at daily loss/gain but as a pattern. I tend to "gain" early in the week because I tend to have alcohol or salty foods on the weekend, or if I have my period, or other weird things like that. Relax!
  • damcoole
    damcoole Posts: 12
    Options
    Yeah, I was kinda wondering if that was it. I didn't even realize how much I took in until I looked at the diary. Damned Olive Garden! Makes sense though. Thanks for the advice.

Sodium is my enemy!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally weight myself everyday and I wouldn't also undereat - that's not the best formula to see a weightloss.
    I can tell you that whatever you gained is not fat weight, so just try follow the basics of weightloss (weighing once a week or so, eating the right amount of food...) and wait patiently for your results. Honestly there's no reason to worry over such a small fluctuation happening overnight.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also .... drink plenty of water. Your diary shows 0 but I guess you may just not be recording it. If you have a lot of sodium, bizarrely, you need to DRINK MORE WATER to lose water weight

This is so that the sodium can move out via osmosis and be passed rather than retaining it. It means frequent bathroom visits .....
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    What you ate or ran off yesterday wont appear on the scales today (ish). The whole metabolic process takes a bit of time. Also you have to consider fluid intake and All outputs (!!).

If you're are recording your weight daily, then take a look at the longer term trend - That's the important thing I reckon.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Maybe you ate something salty and am retaining water, maybe you exercised harder than normal which can cause a slight gain due to the way muscles heal, maybe there is still food in your digestive track that hasn't been evacuated, maybe 100 things because 1 pound here or there means absolutely nothing.

Also...unless you are VERY short and VERY small already, or unless this was prescribed by a qualified medical professional... 1200 calories is not even close to enough food for a man in his mid-30s. (Even if you add exercise calories)
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! How do you run on so little fuel? Are you sure you're getting enough nutrients from your diet? I mean no disrespect, but I was shocked to see how little you're eating. Maybe you just need more food?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    is 3.3 miles in 30 minutes normal for you? Or were you really pushing yourself to hit that?

My guess is water retention (for muscle repair) from the increased exercise. Plus the sodium's water retention.

It should go down within the next few days. Don't worry about it.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Good grief! Eat something man! Some days you've eaten 1000 cals and logged a 1000 cal exercise burn. Assuming both are accurate that basically means you stared yourself that day. Read up on BMR, TDEE and a healthy way to lose weight and keep it off. (I'm sure some kind person will post a link to the your guide to sexy pants thread - go read it and do this in a safe and sustainable way, please)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A normal daily fluctuation. Weight doesn't come off instantly and it's not linear
  • damcoole
    damcoole Posts: 12
    Options
    > Oh my gosh! How do you run on so little fuel? Are you sure you're getting enough nutrients from your diet? I mean no disrespect, but I was shocked to see how little you're eating. Maybe you just need more food?

> is 3.3 miles in 30 minutes normal for you? Or were you really pushing yourself to hit that?

> Your diary shows 0 but I guess you may just not be recording it.

I generally don't have a problem with the calorie intake, and I also take a vitamin supplement every day to make up nutrients I might be missing.

3.3 in 30 is less than I usually do, but mainly because I had gotten less sleep than usual so I did a shorter set. My normal is 5.3ish in 45. I felt that something was better than not running at all.

And yes, I drink water, but don't log it all the time... I usually forget. I did at least 4-5 glasses yesterday, mostly during the run. I always have a full sports bottle with me when I am running.

I think in general, the big thing is the sodium I took in. The family ate at Olive Garden, and the calorie count was good, but I didn't realize how bad the sodium count was. I was WAAAY over that, so I think that must be it. I have a feeling if I continue with my plan today, and still do my normal run tonight - it will make a difference tomorrow. No more Olive Garden, or at least, no more weighing the day after Olive Garden again! :) Definitely going to be a rare occurence from this point on for me.

Thanks for all the insight everyone :)
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    I have always been told not to weigh every single day. There are daily fluctuations that could take place. I was told once a week, same day and time, if possible.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    sodium = water retention. I can gain 5-7 lbs at a time cos I go off on some popcorn or chinese/mexican food.

This is what's happening to me, too. I just had to add back 4 pounds because I've been eating sodium like crazy (it doesn't help that some of my favorite stuff is sodium heavy - cheese, pickles, etc.). Once I drink more water it'll probably fly off.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Man your calorie intake is low!!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As a man, you will require a lot more calories. Additionally, you should aim to get some resistance training. The combination of low cal + no resistance training is a plan for huge lean body mass loss and fatigue. Active men are generally 1800 (at the lowest) or more. I have a desk job, 5'11, 185 lbs, 31 years old, workout 5-6 hours a week and lose weight at 2500 calories. Even if I worked out 3 hours a week, it would be 2200 calories. At 1200 calories or less, it would be a struggle to get enough protein and fats and have enough carbs to fuel your runs. In fact, eating more will improve your exercise.

Running the numbers, even at 68" your daily needs would be around 1950 calories (this includes exercise calories).
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough. Look up your TDEE. Idk how you get the energy to run 3 miles when you're eating that little.

Edit link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sodium
    Water weight
    Exercise
    Too little calories (ironically)

^^^ all these can lead to a bump in the scale