Calorie requirement confusion??

Options
I have been sticking to a 1200 calorie diet but seem to lose less weight when I go this low. MFP has me at 1290 to achieve 2 pound weight loss goal but other sites put me at 2300 for 2 pound weight loss goal exercising 6 days per week. Anyone else confused??

I lost 32 pounds in 4 months late last year but have been "stuck" ever since and keep losing and gaining the same dang 10 pounds over and over!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    MFP only adds in calories for exercise after you log the exercise.

So, 1290 for a base, plus exercise calories.

HTH.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: MFP encourage you to eat your exercise calories ON TOP OF your 1290 minimum.

Make sure you add your exercises to the exercise tab and then you'll see your calorie allowance go up in your food diary.

Good luck
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree. And since you are quite active, make sure that box is checked when you choose your activity level. Log your exercise calories in, and then consume a good percentage of them. You will see your calorie allottment go up a great deal. You will also start losing again. Good luck!!
  • ThePhatMan
    Options
    Hi, MFP had me at a high calorie also (2450). I just stay at my 1500 calories. I exercise 5 days a week. So far my weight loss has been good. I think if I follow MFP I would not lose weight on a regular basis. Follow what you think is best.
  • ccrunk75
    ccrunk75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did find a website (biggest loser) that said you should eat your weight x6. In my case, that would be around 1572 calories daily, so this is what I am following.

My metabolism is finally up again after starting the Jillian Michael's Slim Down, I am on day 7, no weight loss yet but i feel much stronger already! Let the fat loss begin!
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    mfp calculated your weight maintenance goal at 2290, pretty darn close to what the other sites told you.
    3500 calories = 1lb.. since you want to lose 2 lbs per week it gives you a 1000 calorie deficit per day. 7000 calorie deficit per week. So without any exercise mfp wants you to eat 1290 calories.

are you logging your exercise? When you do this mfp automatically accounts for this and will say you've earned so many more calories for the day. Some people eat their exercise calories and some people dont. I would suggest trying to eat at least some.

You did not provide many details about this biggest loser calculation but it cant be correct. What if you weigh 130lbs? 130* 6= 780 calories? thats definately not right.

i hope this helped!! good luck with your weight loss :flowerforyou: